Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp - 1829/7 O.102a R5 CBH, or die-state not late enough?

In order to qualify for the status of 102 "a", the vertical die crack must extend from the edge, through the 9, penetrate the hair curls, and end at clasp.

My example exhibits the first three without a doubt, but I can't make-out the die crack at the clasp. I might... just might see a crack peaking through the ribbon near the clasp, but if there is one, it's extremely faint.

So with this said, you think my example could still be considered a "102a"?

And feel free to grade, comment, etc is you can't shed light on the questions regarding the variety image

imageimage
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That is a superb CBH!

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me....

Who says it "MUST" Not Overton or Herrman.....

The Prime has NO crack so I say your's qualifies.
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    If it were mine, I'd say it was the a state. Enough evidence is there. Nice coin! I'd call it EF40 with nice toning and some luster.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    My piece has the diecrack through the 9 and the curl
    and appears to stop there. See Image.
    It is the R5 die state..

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it were mine, I'd say it was the a state. Enough evidence is there. Nice coin! I'd call it EF40 with nice toning and some luster.
    zap >>

Great! Thanks for the input image

and yeah, there is an unusual amount of luster for the grade. The peripheries really shimmer under a light!

<< <i>My piece has the diecrack through the 9 and the curl
    and appears to stop there. See Image.
    It is the R5 die state..
    >>

Nice one, harvey! image
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you'd better wait for Mozin to chime in before you get too excited there buddy...image
  • Options

<< <i>I think you'd better wait for Mozin to chime in before you get too excited there buddy...image >>

Good point...

The thread has "CBH" in the title, so I'm sure he'll pay us a visit here soon image
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options

<< <i>This is not my coin.....but the die crack shows really nice in this photo.

http://coinzip.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=downloadattachment&board=1829b&thread=1822&post=28846&key=UPMnUfgsY1n0fweZhj9S >>

That's a great example - thanks for posting.

That's one heck of an LDS! Wish mine looked like that image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This is not my coin.....but the die crack shows really nice in this photo.

http://coinzip.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=downloadattachment&board=1829b&thread=1822&post=28846&key=UPMnUfgsY1n0fweZhj9S >>

That's a great example, thanks.

That's one heck of an LDS! Wish mine looked like that image >>

Unless I am missing something really obvious, your example is of a slightly but most definitely later die state. >>

Not quite, IMHO.

In the example CoinZip posted, the die crack has extended well up into the clasp, which my example doesn't show.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look as if your coin quite qualifies. The die crack seems to stop at the ribbon rather than extending on through to the clasp. Intermediate die states are classified as the more common state of the two. (For example, if on the other hand, the prime die state for the '29-102 happpened to be R-5 while the "a" version was R-2 then your coin would be considered the "a" model.)

Kinda convoluted and silly ain't it?image I say call it what it is...a nice VF+ bustie.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i> ...The die crack seems to stop at the ribbon rather than extending on through to the clasp. Intermediate die states are classified as the more common state of the two... >>

Curious - where's the source of this info?

I thought the more IDS examples showed a crack that ran only from the rim through the 9, and once it extended into the fields above 9, it could be considered an LDS (or "a" model) example.

Both silly and convoluted, I agree... and that's why I love it so much image
  • Options
    The early die state does NOT have the crack at all.....
  • Options

<< <i>The early die state does NOT have the crack at all..... >>

I understand that. I said IDS (Intermediate Die State), not EDS. image
  • Options
    I knew this one wouldn't go down without a fight...image
    Don't worry, I've tossed out a few prime vs. intermediate vs.LDS threads in the past...nobody ever agrees.
    For the couple of dates that I'm interested in collecting by die state, if it looks prime to me, then I call it prime...if looks a model
    and I'm looking for an a model, in it goes as an a model , the BHNC have yet to come by my house and erase the designation
    off of any of my 2x2's...image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The latest BHNC die state study says "If your coin has the particular crack (or other item) mentioned for the die state, even if not fully defined, it is still that die state." Many time perhaps there should be an official intermediate DS, or should any sign of a crack move the coin to the a-DS? There is certainly nothing more definite currently as pertains to cracks determining die states.

My personal thought is that intermediate die states should be given the same rarity as the more common die state. Many collectors do not agree with me. When it comes time to pay up for a coin, I think most everyone would insist that all the Overton cracks must be present to garner the LDS extra money. There are so few die state collectors that bidding for a rare DS can result in a bargain---OR two bidders might have the bucks to spend moon money.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    It seems to escaped the conversation to date whether the die crack was never as high as others, or whether it may be but wear makes it impossible to determine. I haven't seen too many with the crack. It is rare. I went to check the length of the crack on my example and it is missing, so the variety may be even rarer now.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin BHB
    There has to be a line drawn in the sand regarding most things.
    This one sure bumps right into that line. Now does it cross the line ?
    That I am not too sure of. If I was going to pay moon money for the
    variety I would want to see the complete crack.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have some of the same issues in VAM collecting. There are some coins that have many know die stages for a specific variety. The 1888-O VAM 1B is a good example, as it has 11 stages shown, starting with no die crack at all (stage 0, or "prime", to use CBH parlance, state), all the way to stage 10, with a break from the rim at 10:00 across Liberty's cheek, neck, and lower hair. Value depends on degree of die break as well as rarity of that stage, and there are people collecting entire die progressions. The name depends on thresholds of the die break, as the VAM 1B has officially been broken up into 1B1 through 1B4, with only the 1B3 and 1B4 being advanced enough breaks to count as a "Scarface" to those keeping score.

<< <i>Both silly and convoluted, I agree... and that's why I love it so much image >>

Aye.
  • Options

<< <i>We have some of the same issues in VAM collecting. There are some coins that have many know die stages for a specific variety. The 1888-O VAM 1B is a good example, as it has 11 stages shown, starting with no die crack at all (stage 0, or "prime", to use CBH parlance, state), all the way to stage 10, with a break from the rim at 10:00 across Liberty's cheek, neck, and lower hair. Value depends on degree of die break as well as rarity of that stage, and there are people collecting entire die progressions. The name depends on thresholds of the die break, as the VAM 1B has officially been broken up into 1B1 through 1B4, with only the 1B3 and 1B4 being advanced enough breaks to count as a "Scarface" to those keeping score.

<< <i>Both silly and convoluted, I agree... and that's why I love it so much image >>

Aye. >>

This sounds good to me...with all the enthusiasm around CBH and varieties, I'm surprised there isn't a system like this yet.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We have some of the same issues in VAM collecting. There are some coins that have many know die stages for a specific variety. The 1888-O VAM 1B is a good example, as it has 11 stages shown, starting with no die crack at all (stage 0, or "prime", to use CBH parlance, state), all the way to stage 10, with a break from the rim at 10:00 across Liberty's cheek, neck, and lower hair. Value depends on degree of die break as well as rarity of that stage, and there are people collecting entire die progressions. The name depends on thresholds of the die break, as the VAM 1B has officially been broken up into 1B1 through 1B4, with only the 1B3 and 1B4 being advanced enough breaks to count as a "Scarface" to those keeping score.

Aye. >>

This sounds good to me...with all the enthusiasm around CBH and varieties, I'm surprised there isn't a system like this yet. >>

Time to make such a system for CBH.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    As if Overton's book weren't "foreign language" enough, let's add a couple more numbers and letters to the end of each variety.............. image

But really - personally - I think using similar methods for Bust halves would just over-complicate things.

And, my God, just think of the man hours necessary to research/document such information... image
  • Options
    Found my example with the full crack.

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Aye. >>

This sounds good to me...with all the enthusiasm around CBH and varieties, I'm surprised there isn't a system like this yet. >>

Time to make such a system for CBH. >>

It aint broke.
    Lance.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a nice pick up from here
  • Options
    Here is mine with some crack
    XF40

You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    Nice example, maibockaddict. I like its originality.

Here are some new pics of mine, still raw. Until PCGS recognizes this 'a' die state, it will probably remain raw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file