Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Merchante Michael Jordan - Finally Got One

So fellow member Big80s first put me onto this card, when he spotlit the PWCC auction of the highest graded example (a beautiful blue 8.5). That hammered at an impressive $2023, a sale that was completed (though for some reason does not appear on VCP-- sidenote, how do we get that info corrected with VCP?).

The card is cool-looking and very charming in its under-produced way. Kind of reminds me of how early Wu-Tang had that under-produced sound, especially as compared to the polished studio fare of say Puff Daddy/Bad Boy.

I really started to like it just on those personal-taste merits, and then I saw the pops...

RED BACK - TOTAL POP 13
One PSA 8 - Two PSA 7 - One PSA 6 - One PSA 5...

BLUE BACK - TOTAL POP 6
One PSA 8.5 - One 8- Two PSA 6 - One PSA 4 - One PSA 2

That's jaw-droppingly low. Considering that (A) PSA has been around a while now, (B) this is the arguably the most world-famous athlete ever, with a rabid collector base, and (C) it is an early career issue, I would bet that were a great deal more of these out there, the pops would not be what they are right now-- which is basically infinitesimal.

My collection is primarily vintage baseball, focusing on HOF RCs and key issues. I get a little more modern with the likes of Frank Thomas, Griffey, and Jeter. I expand into basketball and football for the likes of the supreme greats like Montana, Bird/Magic, and Jordan.

Regarding the latter, I love the 84-85 Star Jordan issues and of course the classic Fleer RC, but I have to say this little Merchante card has struck me as something incredibly special. I'm as bullish on this card as I've been on any; I could see it exploding in value in the coming years-- if those that possess the better-looking (non stained, non miscut) examples even care to part with them.

Anyways, for anyone who is a fan of this card like I've become, just wanted to have a thread for it. I'm sure if any good examples pop up and sales eclipse the past ones, there'll be more to talk about. I believe a PSA 5 recently commanded around $350.

Comments

• MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    So MAJOR THANKS to Big 80s for first bringing this card to my attention; this is in big part why I started reading and ultimately joined these boards back in the day-- not just to talk cards with fellow enthusiasts and see great scans, but also to get put onto new cards and issues that can become all-time favorites. Didn't step up big enough to land Big80's latest 7 so wasn't gonna let this one slip by... All dust and that thing on the lower right border is just my crap scanner; card is super clean.

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Very cool card and also I believe underrated. Keep in mind though....Although PSA has been around a long time, they did not start grading this card until maybe 2-3 years ago. I had multiple 85 and 86 merchante cards that I tried to get graded. I finally got them to start grading the 86's probably 5-6 years ago. I spoke to them about it at one of the nationals. I submitted several 85s at the same time and for some unknown reason, only graded the 86's. Even then, they graded the 86's as hand cut, which in fact, they were not. I was glad to see them finally start to grade the 85's and send my Jordan in for a PSA 4.

Just to note, there are 2 other cards in this set that may become desirable down the road...............A sabonis and Petrovic. I also have a PSA 4 Sabonis and a nice raw Petrovic that should grade in the psa 6-7 range

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Dave,

I have heard of that Sabonis card-- great piece. Can I ask why they gave it a 4-- looks like it would seem at home in a 4.5 or maybe even a 5. The photo is sweet, too. If he entered the league younger, he would've been even nastier than he was. I was a fan of Petrovic back in the day as a kid. Have yet to see his Merchante card.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Matt, congrats on landing that monster! I don't think we'll see another example that nice for a long time. Not to mention, you scored the Blue Back version. That's a very solid investment - even though I know people hate thinking in terms of sports card "investments".

On a side note - besides your good taste in cardboard, I love that you referenced early Wu-Tang.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can't go wrong with that card.

Nice purchase.

Thx. Jeff, owe ya one for putting me onto this issue. Rarity like that is hard to find, and when it's aesthetically pleasing then it's really fun to chase one down.

Your 7 was dynamite. And I think that just left two other examples around the same tier at large to track down. Between the centering issues and thin stock and staining, I figured if I had a chance I should've gone for it.
    You made the right decision. If you have a chance to buy the best - why settle for second place.
    Jeff
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    Very nice card. It boggles my mind that a 1/x Jordan card produced by upper deck or some other major manufacturer can sell for more than these truly rare and condition sensitive cards produced in the mid 80s. IMO this is the best Jordan card that psa slabs. It's earlier than the fleer and much more rare than the Nike card
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Eagles, that was my thinking exactly, especially after talking with Jeff and reading some of Dpeck's prior posts on the card. Had the shot and realized I'd kick myself years from now if I blew it and the card ascended past my reach. Whiffed on a low grade M101 Ruth several years ago that I didn't step up big enough on because price was a shade past comfort zone and it still stings, lol.
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NICE!

is it a blank back?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    Blue advertisement on back. Kinda ghetto looking but flavorful.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    This card is awesome and I have never heard of it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Nice pickup. Ghetto or not, I love the backs.

You still need to grab a Prism Jewel Matty.
    Hi Maurice. Thx. And you're right-- my lucky brother beat me to the last prism!
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool card and SET I didn't know even existed, congrats on getting yours!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

<< <i>Very cool card and SET I didn't know even existed, congrats on getting yours! >>

That's the beauty of these boards. Discovering new cards is definitely a big perk!
    Jeff
  • CWCW Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭
    ¡Muy bueno! image
    What do these run?
    I believe a PSA 5 red hammered at $350 a week or so ago. I know my offer of $750 didn't come close to landing the latest PSA 7 red back to surface. The 8.5 blue last sold for $2023.
    INSANITY! image
    I've sold two over the past month.
    - A PSA 7 (red back) sold for $1100 on eBay (best offer)
    - And I had a PSA 7 (MC) sell last night (through PWCC) for $432
    Jeff
    When examples with qualifiers are bringing in 430, that's pretty diesel! I wonder how long the highest-graded red-back will remain up for grabs, I think it's a PSA 8 and still on the bay.

<< <i>When examples with qualifiers are bringing in 430, that's pretty diesel! I wonder how long the highest-graded red-back will remain up for grabs, I think it's a PSA 8 and still on the bay. >>

That's a great question. Knowing how hard these are to find centered - it's pretty tempting.
    Jeff
    If I wasn't trying to be so fiscally responsible these days and collect within budget/means, I would snap that red 8 up and have the pair! Alas I caved and grabbed the Jeter Murphy card as well recently. After his 200 hit season last year I just won't bet against that guy killing it for another two seasons. Plus, like Jordan, Jeter is as close to bulletproof as the hobby gets. If Jetes even comes within a whiff of 4000, however doubtful, look out.
    So who's got the new blue and red examples that popped? If you're sellin' I'm buyin'! Seriously though wonder if one lucky guy popped both or if they're separate? Props either way.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 1986 available, but not a 1985.