Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Grade Weight ???

How are these figured??? For instance, in the 1972 Icee basketball set, Maravich is weighted 10 while Hondo Havlicek is only a 3, yet there are many more Pistol Petes in grade 9 than there are Hondos....this seems to be way off.....how are these weights arbitrarily arrived at???

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    By $ value. Look at any '60's set, Mantle, Mays, Aaron have quantity of cards graded in comparison to minor stars and commons. But a Mantle in PSA-8 at say $800.00 beats a Ron Hansen at $15.00, even though there may be 5 Hansens graded to 500 of Mantle...jay
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    Using that rational, the commons in the 70's Kellogg's set should be weighted near the stars as they go for near the same price these days.....I just think these weights are on occasion close to reality, and in many other cases are way off.....I can't buy it that the $$$ is the sole determiner.....however, I don't have the answer....ifnothing else, I do feel that the weights of the cards should be looked at periodically and adjusted as need be....I think the quantity of cards available HAS to play a part in the weight....
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631

<< <i>how are these weights arbitrarily arrived at??? >>

Yes, they are weighted arbitrarily. image There is no set formula for weighting a given set. I weighted the 70 Topps baseball set, and generally based it on $$$. If the set has had a significant number of cards graded (including commons), then perhaps some low population cards would be weighted higher. In the 70 set, I don't think there's enough information to say any given card is a rarity in high grade.

If you feel some weights are way off, E-mail BJ and let her know. Perhaps they would make a change.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)