Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian and Tiffin Tokens

I was a little surprised when I did a search here and got no hits for Tiffin tokens but I can't find much anywhere.

I bought these two tokens years ago. The brass one was sold to me as BR-960, a contemporary counterfeit (Tiffin). Even thought it is dated 1812 they were supposedly made in the 1830's. The bronze one was sold to me as Br-959 which may not be a Tiffin but I am not sure.

Does anyone know a good site where I can see more about these? Or want to share pics of your Tiffins or other Canadian tokens?

It may seem odd to counterfeit a token but apparently they did it because it's much less trouble if you get caught than for faking Federal money.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Comments

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about them and I think I have a worn out one some where.

I believe they were issued by a Montreal merchant, grocer I think?

Best bet is to get the Charlton or old Breton tokens. Some of the older Charlton catalogs have brief info on those tokens too.

I think the backdating of the strikes was done to get around some introduced laws that were passed to reduce the local striking and use of copper tokens
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    Post your question in the token section of this site:

http://canadiancoppercoins.com/
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    James Haxby's Guide Book of Canadian Coins and Tokens
    has information on Tiffin tokens.

See pages 117 - 119.

Also, there's coverage of Tiffin token imitations under the
    "Blacksmith Tokens" section (pages 136 - 137).

• Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    It appears to me that both of these are the 960 Tiffin tokens. The original 960 Hallidy issue has the letter "h" engraved on the Kings shoulder. There are several varieties. Your first one looks like the two leaf-three daises variety. It is listed as lc-48a3 in Charlton's Canandian Coloinial Tokens by Cross, 6th edition. It is brass. The second one looks like copper and would be the lc-48a2. This is IMHO only. Perhaps some of the experts out there would know better.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments.

syl, I will definitely check out that site.

I made a big mistake years ago. I should have owned up to it on the "library" thread but it's embarassing. When I was moving a long distance about 10 years ago I decided to lighten the load and raise money by selling off my coins. I didn't sell all my coins but I sold almost all my books and gave away boxes of auction catalogs, pricelists and other goodies. Threw away boxes of Coin World and magazines. Learn by my mistake, sell the books last.

Olmanjon, I do see something on the shoulder of the copper one but don't know if that is an H. The leaves between the 2 are different.

There are actually quite a few that show up on the Bay but most sellers don't seem to know much about them either.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a very good book on just the Tiffin tokens:The Tiffin Tokens of Canada. Authored by Greg Ingram, it is based on the work of Courteau, Breton, and Leroux and absolutely outshines what is in the Charlton Catalogue. It adds a few new varieties (up to 42) and has detailed high quality photos of each variety including some interesting die states. It was published in 2004 at a cost of about $50. Greg can be reached at bhtokens@shaw.ca. Tell him I sent you.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    For anybody who gets the book or has it you could write a public review on google books

http://books.google.ca/books/about/The_Tiffin_Tokens_of_Canada.html?id=TFRSQwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I second the nomination for Ingram's books.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com