Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Insane Group Rip EVER!!

I’ve participated on a lot of these in the past year and a half since I’ve been here and I have never seen anything like this past one. 50 post in under 2 min! That’s gotta be a record. I noticed we went from about 190 or so users logged in around 8:55pm to just over 250 by 9:10pm.

Absolutely insane.

I kept refreshing the main page at 8:59 and once 9 hit, I saw Mark thread up just seconds later - I clicked on it, scrolled down and PASTED what I was already going to write. Refreshed my screen and I saw there was about 7-8 people ahead of me. What the heck!!

Absolutely Amazing.

Comments

• Options
    LOVE IT!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    It blew my mind! Heck, I dont even collect baseball, and I got a box of the 1982 Donruss!!
    Definitely a wild time!!
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you wonder why you see record setting prices for cards all of the time. image

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    I posted at 9:01 and there were 37 people ahead of me!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now if we could only make things happen with congress.
    Good work on getting this done!
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I’ve participated on a lot of these in the past year and a half since I’ve been here and I have never seen anything like this past one. 50 post in under 2 min! That’s gotta be a record. I noticed we went from about 190 or so users logged in around 8:55pm to just over 250 by 9:10pm.

Absolutely insane.

I kept refreshing the main page at 8:59 and once 9 hit, I saw Mark thread up just seconds later - I clicked on it, scrolled down and PASTED what I was already going to write. Refreshed my screen and I saw there was about 7-8 people ahead of me. What the heck!!

Absolutely Amazing. >>

I had to post from my phone. I already had the text in the buffer. So I refreshed, saw the topic, clicked, scrolled, reply, paste, submit. Official post time of 6:00PM and I was on the 2nd page (and I missed the 76 by almost 20 spots). I figure I lost 3s scrolling and a couple more making the screen readable -- who knows how many places that would have been image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a raging thread. Reminds me of the old days on here when we had many more people posting. Well, maybe action wasn't that robust back then.

I too had copied my request, kept refreshing and then replied and pasted as soon as the thread hit. I think I was the third or fourth post which is amazing. Normally I'm the last one to the party. image
  • Options

<< <i>It blew my mind! Heck, I dont even collect baseball, and I got a box of the 1982 Donruss!!
    Definitely a wild time!! >>

I know what you mean. I signed up for one as well even though I'm still sitting on 80s unopened from a buy I made last year and I'm not actively collecting 80s stuff. I can't resist the chance to pick up a case fresh box and hold onto it. You never know, maybe in another ten years they'll be worth real money. Then again, maybe not.
  • Options
    Nobody thinks it was almost entirely due to the gambling aspect of the 76 pack combined with guaranteed DS packs?
  • Options
    I'm sure that was a big part of it but the group rips are always popular.
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody thinks it was almost entirely due to the gambling aspect of the 76 pack combined with guaranteed DS packs? >>

Isn't every group rip about gambling?
  • Options
    Nobody thinks it was almost entirely due to the gambling aspect of the 76 pack combined with guaranteed DS packs?

I’m sure everyone is fully aware that that was the exact reason, however, I knew mostly everyone wanted a DS and 76 pack and even though I just ordered a wax box of something else, I just wanted to see how quickly I could get in. I really thought I was going to be the 1st one when I posted. Boy was I wrong and very surprised.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc - I agree. Totally insane rip. My post got in before 9:01 and I was shut out. Unlike most people, I had zero interest in the DS packs but wanted those '76 cellos! Oh, well, I count my blessings anyway. I do have one '76 cello pack - Seaver on front, courtesy of old board member MBMiller.
    Daniel
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    I've been a part of the last 12-14 group breaks and insane is the correct word for this one. Typically, when Steve has an older cello box for sale, there's a good chance it's been picked through at some point in it's 35-40yr existence. So, nobody goes in expecting an instant payday. The fact that it was announced that 10 packs had desirable cards on top changed the game IMO.

-Doug
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [The fact that it was announced that 10 packs had desirable cards on top changed the game IMO./i]

Definitely. The box would have sold out in maybe 30 minutes anyway, but not in 30 seconds, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fact that it was announced that 10 packs had desirable cards on top changed the game IMO. >>

I believe this to be true as well. The only reason I didn't get in on those 76 Cellos is because I've never had good results ripping 70 Cellos. If I tried to keep it unopened, it would cause extra stress for me at home. I'd probably keep circling the packs before I decimated them.

Justin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The fact that it was announced that 10 packs had desirable cards on top changed the game IMO. >>

I believe this to be true as well. The only reason I didn't get in on those 76 Cellos is because I've never had good results ripping 70 Cellos. If I tried to keep it unopened, it would cause extra stress for me at home. I'd probably keep circling the packs before I decimated them.

Justin >>

Ripping mid-70s cellos is a losing proposition. Very low probability of yielding high grade cards. They are good long term investments though as more people are ripping what's left. Of course getting a HOFer showing on a pack doesn't hurt either. I didn't realize 10 packs had star cards. I thought only 2 or 3 did. By the way, have they decided how they're doling out the boxes? I've got about 4 or 5 '76 cellos now and could potentially build a full box over time.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    It was good to see something from the 70's besides 75 wax and cellos. I wonder what condition these 76's are in? The 76 football cellos I got a few rips ago all graded PSA 9.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to.....

sitting on the sidelines..and will take any non grade worth red sox
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... If I tried to keep it unopened, it would cause extra stress for me at home. I'd probably keep circling the packs before I decimated them. >>

great line. +1

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06