Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

just a nice 1882 Canadian cent

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
yes, we do have nice coins "on the dark side".
see the die clashes?
would anyone venture as to grade?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• I like your coin.
  • Nice coin-looks like Vicky has a strand of pearls around her neck. Unusural die clash I would think. I have hundreds of Vickies but have never seen a die clash on any of them. Mostly die breaks. I will guess the grade at ms 63. Not the best I have seen but all in all a very nice coin for the date.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin....xf45?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    AU55?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I guessed 55 on this coin from another site. The blue, however, is unnatural for a bronze cent. I think that a chemical was applied at some time to try to remove some of the PVC green that you see predominantly around Regina. I've seen acetone do the same thing to more worn Large Cents. Nice coin, but I'm not a fan of the blue .. on silver it's great but not bronze.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    I'm not seeing AU, but large cents are not my strength so I certainly could be wrong.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent replys and ideas.

I have the coin in hand. It is extremely diffcult to photograph. I will try and revert to my old HP scanner and see if I can get it better there. what you see as blue is NOT really a blue as such. in reality it looks like a reddish orangy bluisch whatever.
    the coin is absolutely pristine and my images do not do it justice.
    I would bet a nice bottle of Souvignon Blanc from Chile that it will grade MS62 or better with a Canadian TPG.
    scan coming later if better.
    sorry guys, my scanner just packed it in....
    I have a smoke free home... but the 10 year old scanner did not respect that . it decided to "light some components and emit some ugly smell" and hence, it is now in "scanner Hell".
    sometimes this weekend I will try some other pictures with a different lens.
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    lol yep images are tough to grade from but those are looking xf45 maybe a couple points higher
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

<< <i>excellent replys and ideas.

I have the coin in hand. It is extremely diffcult to photograph. I will try and revert to my old HP scanner and see if I can get it better there. what you see as blue is NOT really a blue as such. in reality it looks like a reddish orangy bluisch whatever.
    the coin is absolutely pristine and my images do not do it justice.
    I would bet a nice bottle of Souvignon Blanc from Chile that it will grade MS62 or better with a Canadian TPG.
    scan coming later if better. >>

I don't know about the bottle of wine, but I'll bet $50, it doesn't make ms62 or higher at ICCS......better yet, let's make it $100.

• mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Based on the images, I would not think it likely the coin would get any sort of MS grade at ICCS. Or NGC. Or PCGS. Looks AU, but that's just me...
  • sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will get a 62 either. I'm not sure that you will get anything other than "genuine" on the holder, but it may get an AU maybe.
    do not bet for money, but do bet for wine..
    we shall see. will post it once graded...
    Who knows, you guys might be right... but... I looked at other similar coins that I have...
    and who knows, a grader might have a happy day and feels like doing a good deed..