Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Idea how this eBay Seller gets his coins to look so nice?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
I truly enjoy looking at the coin offerings from this seller.
The colors and the luster are apparent. Such a rare combination to be able to capture both.

Even TrueViews, that capture the intense color is generally lacking on the luster.

What techniques are used, or you imagine are possibly used for imaging to bring out the total attractiveness of a coin, such as these on eBay?

LINK
PS: I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on his 1900 FN12 Lafayette!

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you know this is BNB, right?

He was a novice coin photog not a year or two ago.

Without seeing the coins for comparison, I can't guess.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. That's BNB.
    Lance.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    first step is NOT diffusing

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    I know who it is.
    Doesn't stop me from admiring his photography.

(His prices on many of the coins are reasonable/fair too.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you'd like to see some great images look here.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure he can stop by here and tell us how its done.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>If you'd like to see some great images look here.
    Lance. >>

Agreed!
    Killer inventory too. I love to browse his offerings.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im sure he can stop by here and tell us how its done. >>

that's humor, right?

he's perm-bammed.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    from his me ebay page:

Personal note: I photograph my coins with a 150mm Sigma Macro Lens attached to a Nikon D7000 Camera. Sometimes the photos look real good but the coin does not. I understand that, and that's why I allow you a fourteen (14) day period to make sure the coin looks and feels right for you.
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet he does wish he could come here and share his tips, but no matter what he does the powers that be don't seem to want to have anything to do with him or ever let him back on this forum. That is why he has his own forum now.

I see him at local bid boards every week and I remember awhile back he asked me what I do to keep the luster showing in my photos and I let him borrow my copy of Goodman's Numismatic Photography and then told him that I usually use the Microsoft Office Picture Manager (which came with older versions of Office) to "AutoCorrect" my raw shots (which really just fixes the contrast for the most part). Seems like he learned some tips from myself and the Goodman book as the photos have improved quite a bit. And I see he is also now using a version of the SpaceMonkey template in his listings... also like me...
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I truly enjoy looking at the coin offerings from this seller.
    The colors and the luster are apparent. Such a rare combination to be able to capture both.

Even TrueViews, that capture the intense color is generally lacking on the luster.

What techniques are used, or you imagine are possibly used for imaging to bring out the total attractiveness of a coin, such as these on eBay?

LINK
    PS: I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on his 1900 FN12 Lafayette! >>

Some nice coins for sure and those MS64 Morgans look really nice. No comment on BNB because I don't know him.

The 1900 Lafayette came from Teletrade last month.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
    Looks like I've got a book (or two!) to read.

I'm surprised I missed that Lafayette on Teletrade as I generally peruse their listings.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten a very nice toned Morgan from him some time back, no problems whatsoever. His photography is spot on, no juicing like the john-strategies seller on the other thread.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some are more skilled than others.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image$2250 for a toned 1876 PR-63 quarter? Can I get six grand for my PR-64 Cameo ? image If so, I'll give the buyer a year's worth of tutti fruity smoothies. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing he is using a ton of lights coming from many different angles. Would be nice to see a photo of his shooting technique. The photos do not look natural to me. I am surprised his approval rate is 100%. I would have guessed the images would falsely inflate the buyer's hopes, particularly with regard to luster that isn't really there. I may be way off base. The photos, however, don't attract me.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from his me ebay page:

Personal note: I photograph my coins with a 150mm Sigma Macro Lens attached to a Nikon D7000 Camera. Sometimes the photos look real good but the coin does not. I understand that, and that's why I allow you a fourteen (14) day period to make sure the coin looks and feels right for you. >>

He's using exactly the same equipment that alot here said they used. He just did what everyone told him to do when he asked. He asked the camera/copy stand question, and about a few hours later, posted images of the camera and copy stand he bought, because a majority mentioned the particular items. He's never wanted to take the time to do things (ie, LEARN) on his own, so with lot's of family $$, and suggestions from expert collectors, he became an instant expert numismitast. Good thing his imaging skills weren't that great when it came time to sell the infamous 3 legged Buffalo! It IS nice to see he's attending East Coast shows again ( image ), though I haven't seen him at any nearby...
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you'd like to see some great images look here.
    Lance. >>

Well I guess so, that seller uses Mark Goodman to take his photos.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file