Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My son/daughter ordered this by mistake....

Anyone ever sell something on eBay and after a few days of non-payment, suddenly get one of those emails? Can someone really purchase by mistake on eBay unless they are 2 and just clicking stuff all over the iPad. I really dont buy it (and obviously they did not either).

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard this one on more than one occasion.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard this one on more than one occasion. >>

But I do have kids. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Have you read some of the things others on this board have posted? What some have unknowingly admitted to? Nothing surprises me anymore...

To answer your question, buyer's remorse is a bitter pill and one that many buyers decide to blame on someone other than themselves to get out of it.
  • Id say if anybody could do it, it would be a kid. Heaven knows my kids are smarter than meimage But
    seriously, sounds like buyers remorse to me.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!

<< <i>

But I do have kids. image >>

So far you haven't stiffed me...yet..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

So far you haven't stiffed me...yet.. >>

Yeah, like someone would believe my kid bid on unopened baseball packs. Now if it is beyblades, I think I have an argument. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah, like someone would believe my kid bid on unopened baseball packs. Now if it is beyblades, I think I have an argument. image >>

What un the heck are beyblades?? LOL!

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a BS line. Probably nothing you can do about it though. I actually had a loser tell me he got diagnosed with cancer just after winning my auction. Quite obviously a lie to get out of paying and very appalling. The more you're exposed to this type of nonsense, the less it surprises you.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather someone be a little more creative and tell you:

"After I purchased the item and fully intended to pay. I went out in the hallway, stumbled into an inter-dimensional portal which brought me 5,000 years into the future, where I took advantage of the advanced technology to build a time machine but it turned out I couldn't bring my purchase back - since I now live in a think-a-torium where I'm working for telepathically controlled dolphins who have no use for baseball memorabilia."
    Mike
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real simple train of thought here.

Bottom line its his Ebay ID and he is responsible for it, so shame on him for not managing his account better and being responsible ie: logging off ect.. Therefore he should be given 2 choices, pay or deal with being reported

• << <i>I would rather someone be a little more creative and tell you:

"After I purchased the item and fully intended to pay. I went out in the hallway, stumbled into an inter-dimensional portal which brought me 5,000 years into the future, where I took advantage of the advanced technology to build a time machine but it turned out I couldn't bring my purchase back - since I now live in a think-a-torium where I'm working for telepathically controlled dolphins who have no use for baseball memorabilia." >>

Yea, what he said... I thinkimageimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah, like someone would believe my kid bid on unopened baseball packs. Now if it is beyblades, I think I have an argument. image >>

It was not cards, it was a Food Network DVD set. I dont think kids are searching Rachel Ray or Alton Brown on eBay. But I know these kinds of excuses run across any type of sale. But yeah, bayblades I would believe. Not a boring education food DVD.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    My cousin's kid was playing some game on her iPad and managed to buy $740 in "coins" via her debit card. So, things do happen...but the ebay line, gimme a break. Report away, man.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    We should start a "what's the craziest/most expensive thing your child has purchased accidentally" thread!
    My daughter purchased a $200 groupon for plastic surgery once. My wife was Freakin out, she thought she was actually going to have to use it if they didn't refund it...which they did.
  • I've been hit with every excuse you can imagine. I'm at the point now where I just say fine and send them the cancel transaction request and relist the item. I don't like taking the chance that they pay, then either a) claim they never got the item b) damage the item then claim it showed up that way or c) leave negative feedback. I know another seller who went through this, forced the issue, didn't get paid, filed the final non payment claim, blocked the bidder only to have the bidder's friend buy something cheap from them just so they could leave negative feedback. None of that is worth the risk.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    My uncle had one fruitcake claim that while he was sleeping, his freakin cat was stepping on his iPad & managed to 'buy it now' on several of his auctions. My uncle told him he understood & would waive the purchase but asked him about the message he got from him right after his cat bought the items inquiring about combined shipping.
    The fruitloop apologized & said his cat was known for sending out emails & messages to people in the middle of the night...in perfect English no less!
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    My favorite is when the son or daughter bids on the item, yet when I check feedback, the person has a history of buying similar items like what they won from me. I just block and move on. If they are willing to pull that crap, no telling what kind of problems they will cause in the future.

• << <i>My favorite is when the son or daughter bids on the item, yet when I check feedback, the person has a history of buying similar items like what they won from me. I just block and move on. If they are willing to pull that crap, no telling what kind of problems they will cause in the future. >>

Yeah. They will certainly be blocked so their son or daughter does not accidentally purchase a $1000 item from me.

Too bad she did not accidentally go through PayPal either.

But actually - there are far too many steps for such a thing to be accidental, are there not? Its like 3 steps to make an actual purchase, without paying that is.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Happened to me about two weeks ago on an item that sold for $4.00, got my fees back, relisted it and it sold for $5.00....its all good.

Now if it were a few hundred dollar item, I would PO
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    After finding a $49.99 charge on my cable bill for a wrestling event that no one was home to order or watch I believe anything! If its not broke kids will find a way to break it.
  • I got this email this morning. Buyer purchased a 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken F-Faced signed card. I had no problem keeping it but after 10 days he decided to pay. Being a good father? And what's with the all caps?

"HELLO, I JUST PAID FOR THIS AUCTION. PLEASE CHECK & TAKE THIS UNPAID ACTION. MY SON BID W/ MY E-BAY ACCOUNT...BUT BEING A GOOD FATHER- I JUST PAID FOR THE ITEM.

I WILL GIVE YOU A POSITIVE FEEDBACK - PLEASE DO THE SAME. THANKS"

• << <i>Happened to me about two weeks ago on an item that sold for $4.00, got my fees back, relisted it and it sold for $5.00....its all good.

Now if it were a few hundred dollar item, I would PO >>

I had an item listed at $200 and someone offered me $180, so I took it. After 5 days of not paying, the guy emailed me saying he did not want it. I said thats fine, but you made the offer to me. After I made a report to cancel the sale, he went ahead and paid for it. Weird people.
  • jnorlundjnorlund Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Ebay has a long way to go still to protect sellers from fraudulent buyers.