Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's The Deal With This Coin??

There is an 1879 PCGS PR64 Cameo Seated Dime listed on eBay which bidders are going crazy over as current bid is over $4,000! This should be an $800 or perhaps $900 coin. Is this a top pop coin or is it somehow unique? I'm at a total loss.

The link is below (sorry you'll have to paste into your browser).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290865752461?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat

Comments

• A very good question.

It doesn't look like an upgrade (even if it did, you can buy a PR67 for less than what it is bid). It doesn't look like a Deep Cameo.

The bidding pattern is unusual. There is a guy who put a monster bid of $3990 on it several days ago. Now -- if you are willing to pay 4x retail to buy a coin, why wouldn't you bid $4000, or a little over $4000? Very odd.

There are 76 bids on the coin, with 7 hours still to go.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • At 47, I'm wondering why I'm one of the youngest people at stamp shows!!!!!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked Gerry Fortin's site and it doesn't look like there are any premium varieties or die states for the date. Definitely a strange one.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda know the seller and they are a good size dealer and purchase from a number of dealers in the US.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks to me like the "informed" bidders left off at the $775 mark and then the "idiots" took over.

No doubt, it'll get returned once the craziest one wins it and then discovers the coins real worth.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • The dime is now over $5,000 with almost 4 hours to go!!! It just makes no sense!
    Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dime is now over $5,000 with almost 4 hours to go!!! It just makes no sense! >>

I bet the winning bidder isn't going to pay.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought is that it reminds me of "program trading" gone awry. In this case, I wonder if there was a single data input error that led to a cascade of stupid-looking automatic shill bids. I'd be curious to know if any of their other listings show similar bidding patterns by the same bidders, even if the prices for those other listings are more logical. Of course, I'm only guessing.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it has a buy bid on it! While I rarely do it with coins...I have done it in other collector areas. Buy bids are expensive! image
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read city , county, state pension funds have been buying bullion and rare coins. Hey, it's not their money.
    It's plain folks property, state and local paid taxes.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    That entire auction is strange.
    I brake for ear bars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file