Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody going to Sun Times show?

I haven't been on here in a few months and thought I would check in with the board but don't see some of the normal posters.

Well, first is anybody going to the Sun Times Show?

Second, where the heck is everybody?
** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    perhaps if you look directly into the sunset you can still see the shadowy silhouettes disappearing into the reddish orange horizon.
  • Options
    Lol. Shady is as shady does.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Nathan, good to see you buddy. Hope all is well.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Nathan, good to see you buddy. Hope all is well. >>

+1
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Nathan, good to see you buddy. Hope all is well. >>

Thanks buddy, PM coming.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Anyone make it to the Sun Times show this weekend? I'm thinking about going down there tomorrow. Just wondering if it's worth my time.

Jeff
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I would say no.. spent 20 minutes there and left last night.. was there to meet someone was the only reason I went. Walked around same stuff as always.. lot of open space.
    Unless you collect autographs then I think the lineup is pretty good
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got back from the show. The show was somewhat smaller in size then the normal Sun Times Show, and was actually called the "Fanatics Authentic Sports Spectacular Chicago" which I think is stupid to change the name. That is what was on my ticket which was $10. I took my friend's 8 yr old son and had to pay full adult price for him also. Not impressed that an 8 yr old wasn't free for a show. I don't have kids, so what do I know.

I dropped off 3 submissions to PSA today. 1) was for 7 free submissions. 6 for signing up again and 1 left over from the last time when they wouldn't grade a certain card of a friend of mine. I subbed 7 of the 1980 Topps baseball cards that I pulled from the National last year in Chicago at "70Toppsfanatics" table including the nicest Carl Yaz #720 I have ever seen from a Pack I bought right from BBCE's table. In this sub was a Rose, Schmidt, Willie McCovey Highlight, Molitor. I will post results to that sub when I get it back.
    2) I subbed or I should say brought in an error card that needed to be fixed. A 2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols #T247 in which I subbed a base card and they added Chrome to the label. So they will fix for free and send back on their dime. I always take my errors to the shows. Never pay to have the errors fixed.
    3) 2 friends of mine and myself subbed 113 cards. 40 different 1980 Topps baseball, 19 M*A*S*H, 27 Battlestar Galactica, and a handful of other cards.

The show was very crowded for a Saturday and was full of memorabilia and autograph cards along with either Vintage tables or the modern unopened. Lots of open spaces and a few empty tables. Don't have much of a report, as I didn't stay long.

I did buy 2 retail boxes of 2013 Topps baseball series 2 for $15 each. They come with 24 packs - 12 cards each pack. Not a bad price I thought.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I was oddly disappointed in the show, but also really loved it...

My disappointments: They changed the name. I had a free admission for Friday night that I forgot at home and had to pay $10 last night (my bad, but still disappointing). Way too many empty dealer tables. I'm primarily a modern collector... and maybe for the first time I can ever say this for a Chicago Show, but Modern was lacking big time. Much more so than shows of the past. This time, for modern, I was looking for almost anything Mike Trout that might fit my personal collection & Derek Jeter rookies worthy of grading. Struck out on these two objectives big time... just nothing there. Hell, half the modern tables I went too were selling almost exclusively hockey or football. Football would be fine, but the Packers selection was poor... shocking so close to Wisconsin. Opening Day is right around the corner... baseball was lacking. A good percentage of the other modern tables were selling almost exclusively cards already graded by BGS... for me, just not interested.

Why I loved it: Able to stock up on supplies. PSA was doing autograph authentication & encapsulation at the show. They wouldn't do on-site grading (which is kind of odd since they had the sealing equipment there, but oh well)... was finally able to get my 2011 Topps Update autographed Mike Trout slabbed! Went to the show today to pick up the Trout I dropped off last night... wasn't ready. I had about a half dozen cards I purchased for future grading... but now I had time to kill. Well, with time to kill and money in my pocket to burn... time to put some more work into my 1956 Topps set. No trouble finding vintage at the show. I did make one mistake though. I found one dealer selling vintage, in very good condition (i.e. 5-8 range) with very, very, very good prices... I should have gotten there name and/or info image

When all was said and done... I ended buying enough 1956 cards, from 4 different dealers, that I had enough to make another CC special #1 (50 card minimum) submission... so I sat at the PSA booth for about 45 minutes filling out forms... made my sub and picked up my Trout.

Good show!!! Heck, for me, and for my last few trips to Chicago for these shows... a great show!

Now, it's almost time for some more beer at Gibson's steakhouse... and go Sparty go!
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I will be there tomorrow. Hopefully my 8 year old son will make the trip with me. It will be his first time.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options
    I will be there tomorrow. Me a friend are going. Maybe i'll see you there Shawn. I'll be wearing Brewers stuff
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Curious, who'd you buy the 56's from?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Seems pretty common that this show is always low on attendance for both buyers and sellers. I'll get down to the one this summer. Couldn't find an Aaron Rookie in my liking/price range last time. Hoping this summer will change. Out of curiosity was BBCE there? There pretty busy setting up the new shop so I'm guessing they skipped this one.

Corey
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Out of curiosity was BBCE there? There pretty busy setting up the new shop so I'm guessing they skipped this one.

Corey >>

I haven't been to a Sun Times show in a few years but in the past I don't remember them ever being there.
  • Options
    What are the dates for this show?
  • Options

<< <i>Out of curiosity was BBCE there? There pretty busy setting up the new shop so I'm guessing they skipped this one.

Corey >>

BBCE was not there. I believe Steve said he only attends the National. There were a few of the other big dealers there that carry unopened. PSA and Beckett were both there also taking submissions.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Just got back from the show. I thought there was plenty of people in attendance and a good variety of items throughout. I picked up 3 nice hof rookies from Jeff Foy (card country) and a few other items elsewhere. Overall very happy I made the drive down from Milwaukee.

Jeff
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Out of curiosity was BBCE there? There pretty busy setting up the new shop so I'm guessing they skipped this one.

Corey >>

BBCE was not there. I believe Steve said he only attends the National. There were a few of the other big dealers there that carry unopened. PSA and Beckett were both there also taking submissions.

Paul. >>

It doesn't look like we'll be setting up at a Mounted Memories (or whatever they call themselves now) show in the future. When they found out we were having Bobby Hull sign at our grand opening a few weeks after their show, they called us and flipped out in outrage that we would do such a thing. We don't want to deal with a company like that. First of all, shouldn't they take it up with Hull's agent? Second, maybe their outrage was over our respective pricing:

Mounted Memories pricing for BOBBY HULL
    Flats up to 11x14 $49
    Puck $49
    16x20 $59
    Mini $59
    Stick $79
    Jersey $79
    Equipment $79
    Add'l Inscription $20
    Photo Op $49
    * One Free inscription

BBCE pricing for BOBBY HULL
    Small items $29
    Large items $49
    Additional Inscriptions $15
    * One Free Inscription

We're only an hour drive away from the convention center. There may be a few toll roads, but we don't charge $10 admission, parking is free, and you don't have to buy a $149 package to be treated like a VIP!

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    It was great catching up with a lot of board members this weekend!! Thanks for stopping by my tables!
    Thanks Jeff- glad you are happy with the cards!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

<< <i>We're only an hour drive away from the convention center. There may be a few toll roads, but we don't charge $10 admission, parking is free, and you don't have to buy a $149 package to be treated like a VIP! >>

This is exactly why I decided to keep my money tucked away in my wallet, and wait for 3/31. BTW Reed, I have a bone to pick with you. Where is that case of Battlestar Galactica you promised? image

Hey Jimmy, I'll be thinkin' about you working while I'm droolin' over all the packs, boxes, and cases I will be looking at! Too bad you don't live out here in the midwest where we have all of the shows and BBCE National Headquarters! imageimageimage

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We're only an hour drive away from the convention center. There may be a few toll roads, but we don't charge $10 admission, parking is free, and you don't have to buy a $149 package to be treated like a VIP! >>

This is exactly why I decided to keep my money tucked away in my wallet, and wait for 3/31. BTW Reed, I have a bone to pick with you. Where is that case of Battlestar Galactica you promised? image

Hey Jimmy, I'll be thinkin' about you working while I'm droolin' over all the packs, boxes, and cases I will be looking at! Too bad you don't live out here in the midwest where we have all of the shows and BBCE National Headquarters! imageimageimage

Paul. >>

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Somebody has to deliver all those packages that BBCE sends out that day. That's where I come in image
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options