Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do people actually do this?

lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
Do people buy a coin in an NGC slab, for example, do an express submission to PCGS in the hope of a cross, and when it fails return the coin to the seller?

A recent failed cross on the published orders page of a common date morgan, turned around in just a few days, prompted the question.
I brake for ear bars.

Comments

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure some people do.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this once. But I discussed it in advance with the seller and he agreed to a return if it didn't cross (it didn't).

I'm sure it happens. But express grading isn't cheap so perhaps doesn't happen much with inexpensive coins.
    Lance.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    The order I viewed is 20682401. It is an 1880-S Morgan. It must be better than a 67 dmpl (in its present holder) to justify the fast submission. I was guessing that if the coin is yours to keep, what is the hurry?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to draw conclusions from a one time event can lead one down the wrong path I have found.image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont understand why someone would do that to begin with. that isint right to the seller that the buyer brought it from. hey, to each our own.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this once with a raw gold commem. I to had talked in advance with the seller with the understanding that if it didn't grade that I would return it to him in the genuine holder.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every NGC coin I buy is treated as raw, in hopes of a crossover. Lately I have foregone trying to even cross. The last two I had were merely cracked and submitted. Awaiting grades.

edited to add: I really think that making a sale cross contingent is irresponsible, but I certainly understand. I have had discussions of the like with dealers in the past, but in all honesty, if you have to wonder, then it's usually best to just pass.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lava---Some people have been known to buy a coin and then try to resell it within the return period. If he can't resell it for a profit, back it goes to the dealer. Of course, you can only do this a few times before this dealer tells you that he no longer wants you as a customer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    according to the PCGS stats page, less than 1% of all coin submittals are attempted crosses (1707 in the last 30 days out of 268,572). On avg 40% cross.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>according to the PCGS stats page, less than 1% of all coin submittals are attempted crosses (1707 in the last 30 days out of 268,572). On avg 40% cross. >>

I've seen this 40% stat before - seems higher than what I've experienced over the past quarter.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the kool-aid mentality of many on this board alone I would not be surprised at all.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file