Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting Vid on the T206 Mastro Wagner

From Grantland (an ESPN spin-off website run by Bill Simmons - aka the Sports Guy). Part of their 30 for 30 series. This is a short (not big enough for a full show).

The video is 14 minutes long and I suppose for most members here old news. I found it interesting as I did not know the whole story and this probably does not cover EVERYTHING but I know more now than I did before.

T206 Wagner
Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I thought it said nothing new to anyone who read The Card.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will be talking about "this" card long after I've gone to the happy hunting grounds.
    Mike
  • Options
    A nice little clip, nonetheless.
  • Options
    Cool clip, thanks for posting.
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    Terrific video. Thanks for posting this.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting that. It was worth the 14 minutes it took to watch it.

What I found interesting is that David Hall made it clear that PSA stands by it's grades and essentially confirmed they would be on the hook if Ken Kendrick wants his money back.

This is such a tremendous example of the card that I believe the card would sell for a much greater amount then a version with the authentic grade assigned.

The card is like a piece of art and the history that this specific specimen has clearly adds to the cards value.

If I had to bet I think he will keep it.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for posting that. It was worth the 14 minutes it took to watch it.

What I found interesting is that David Hall made it clear that PSA stands by it's grades and essentially confirmed they would be on the hook if Ken Kendrick wants his money back.

This is such a tremendous example of the card that I believe the card would sell for a much greater amount then a version with the authentic grade assigned.

The card is like a piece of art and the history that this specific specimen has clearly adds to the cards value.

If I had to bet I think he will keep it. >>

Like the Kardashians, it's valuable now simply because of it's fame - even if said fame is ill-begotten. Even if Mastro were to admit trimming, the value wouldn't diminish.
  • Options
    Love the comment from Keith O about Mastro as a teenager trying to sell him beat up 1952 Bowmans for double their value.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool video! Thanks for the link
  • Options

<< <i>Love the comment from Keith O about Mastro as a teenager trying to sell him beat up 1952 Bowmans for double their value. >>

'52 Bowmans frequently sell for double their value when there are brokers who are willing to facilitate the transactions. Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. What a timely statement!!!

Maurice, feel free to PM me, if you want me to explain the thread that kept going in circles.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OcTrAdInG,

Many of my best cards have come from profit seeking people in the hobby. I want you to make money off me so you will keep working with me. A fast buyer is a great buyer.

If we don't have other people trying to find us cards it makes it even more tough. You can't find them all on your own raw.

You got outbid by Rick and it really doesn't matter what he wants to do with the card he bid more and paid for it.

Brokers are necessary in this hobby.

• Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    thanks for sharing
  • Options

<< <i>OcTrAdInG,

Many of my best cards have come from profit seeking people in the hobby. I want you to make money off me so you will keep working with me. A fast buyer is a great buyer.

If we don't have other people trying to find us cards it makes it even more tough. You can't find them all on your own raw.

You got outbid by Rick and it really doesn't matter what he wants to do with the card he bid more and paid for it.

Brokers are necessary in this hobby. >>

+ 1
  • Options
    Well done video.

Ironically, I had an interesting conversation today about the fraud, tampering and using scientific methods to doctor and age cards. Makes me nervous every time I hear about it.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Great video, but then just about anything Grantland does is compelling stuff.

This card illustrates that all graded cards are nothing more than a grader's best guess. For most of us, its a small gamble, but in something like this, the 'guessing' of a card's legitimacy and grade are of the highest stakes.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    funny how they STILL call it an '8' when we all know that lowlife crook Mastro chopped it down and bribed(?) PSA to get it into this '8' slab (more than once) image

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you for posting that. It was worth the 14 minutes it took to watch it.

If I had to bet I think he will keep it. >>

Like the Kardashians, it's valuable now simply because of it's fame - even if said fame is ill-begotten. Even if Mastro were to admit trimming, the value wouldn't diminish. >>

I'm willing to bet the Kardashians have been altered far more than the card. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.