Home U.S. Coin Forum

What sellers will do to draw bidders to their auctions

The lead in picture and the title of this one amazes me to no end but in the description
they stop with the + and call it what is is.

What a fine tip magic maker can do

Comments

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! image
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I have some work to do on my slabs tonight image

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    lets also spotlight his 30 day return privilege and free shipping. very generous IMO
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty lame, though maybe (just maybe) the seller doesn't know the diff and/or got it that way. (A longshot, perhaps, but maybe.)

I thought this was gonna be another one of those auctions where the coin was photographed in a strategic location in front of some voluptuous young assistant's cleavage.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He might as well take a fine tip Sharpie and change the 63 to a 68.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that not against eBay rules?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • It is deceptive description. Any attempt to alter a given grade by a TPG, even though it is poorly accomplished, is fraud. This auction should be taken down. Also noted, the BIN price is above the MS-64 grade.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better than his ex-jewelry 1932 $10!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    None of his other coins have the plus added. I wouldn't be surprised if it was purchased that way.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

• << <i>The most over-promoted material is in coin publications IMHO. PQ+++ "Looks MS65!" "Sure to *****" "A coin even your wife will love!"

You never see the other side of the story unless the coin is in a problem holder. Too bad objectivity is so rare and sales overshadows critical analysis until...... >>

Least you forget, the advertisers who describe their offerings in coin publications ARE TRYING TO SELL THEM.
    Isn't it natural for a seller to describe their wares in a light most favorable?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of red flags that make me also wonder if this might not be a counterfeit coin and slab.
    The coin looks nicer than any 63 I have ever seen and the seller says it is recently graded and PCGS has been using the prong holder for over a year now.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that's a blatant misrepresentation! why not just put a purple sticker on it that says "Nice" or something. it would work just as well with people who are clueless.

• << <i>Absolutely, sales promotions and advertising is about selling not about truth telling necessarily; that is the job of consumer watchdogs of which there are many to which we owe a great deal. >>

If you say so.
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    That coin seems way short on contact marks for a 63. Hard to get a feel for luster from the photos. Maybe it is dipped out. Writing on the holder is even more annoying than crazy stickers and such, but the coin is what the coin is.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's nice for a 63, I'll say that much. >>

I agree. I think it's a 63+. Seller told it like it was in as few words (zero) as possible. image

All we ever hear is buy the coin, not the holder (or the felt tip magic marker plus). Looks like a nice coin regardless of everything else.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>another fine example of creative license

How about this ad? >>

LOL. Seller has the wrong picture in the auction. Supposed to be a 2002 ungraded Shawnee Tribe 1/5 oz. gold piece in a pouch, not a NGC MS70 2007 $50G Buffalo.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file