Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Photography Question

I would love to have great photos of my coins, but right now it is such a chore. I have a decent DSLR Nikon D40x with a choice of three Nikon lenses 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 70-300mm I think. I have decent lights and a tripod and remote I use in place of a copy stand. I know for best photos I should get a nice macro lens. I think for me, it is too expensive to justify - I'd rather spend that money on coins.

My question is, would it be worth getting a +3 or +4 close-up lens filter like this? It is inexpensive, but would I get a better result than what I get now, or should I stick with what I have now until I decide it is worth spring for a macro lens? And if it is worth getting, should I go for a +3, +4 or something else?

Here is a current sample shot.

image Respectfully, Mark

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would wait for a macro lens. if you knew you were going to shoot a bunch at once, you could rent a macro lens.

Heck I know a guy across the causeway with 4 of them.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather spend that money on coins. >>

I've heard that many times. But only from those who didn't buy the macro.
    Lance.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting such a filter would help a lot, but get a decent one. There are 3-filter (+1, +2, +4) kits available for $30 that aren't all that good. Canon makes decent close-up lenses that go by 250D (+4) and 500D (+2). These cost more ($80ish), but are much better. The 500D will probably suit you just fine when using the 55-200. The B+W close-up lens you linked is probably pretty good, too, as they make decent filters.

If you are using a Nikon D40x, you should be able to use an old, manual focus Micro-Nikkor. A 105/4.0 AI Micro-Nikkor will run you approximately $200, which is much less than the $500+ for a new macro. You lose auto-focus and metering, though. Check in your owner's manual to see if there's any compatibility issues with these lenses.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +3 is plenty. It is nothing more than a screw on filter, probably cheaper at your local camera store. I use one that works great on a fixed lens point and shoot digital.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as I understand it
    a close up filter
    allows you to get closer
    and get more magnification that way

but
    what you really want is to be able to stay
    further away

wait for the macro
    and go for a longer macro

your photo is good

LCoopie = Les
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP's image is pretty good. A tiny bit blurry, but sure captured the frost n contrast.
    I'm waiting for this to arrive. I needed an adapter to mount to my Fuji S3280 (no female threads at the end of the fixed lens) and a 2x and 8x screw on 72mm HD Achromatic Lens. Can't wait to try it out, I'm hoping for great results.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file