Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Snipe service

What snipe service is the best one out there?

Usually, I put in my best bid whenever I see something I want (I'm really bad at watching and going back to manually snipe something). I honestly don't know if I would pay less with a snipe service. Is the real benefit of it, you can just bid and forget about it OR is there a material savings aspect too it?

Is there a fee for it?
I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.

Comments

• Options
    There are a few out there. I've had good luck with Gavelsnipe and yes, it's free. I'm sure others will chime in with some more.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My preference is Gavelsnipe. Totally free. You can set your snipe at any time and forget about it. To me the best benefit is you don't have to be on eBay when the auction is ending. They will ask for your eBay user name and password. Never been an issue for me.
    Daniel
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Just Snipe is great.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>I use Gavelsnipe also. >>

What exactly does a sniping service do for you? I'm new at this ebay bidding game. I usually check VCP and completed listings and bid accordingly
    thanks for answering
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    http://www.biddingscheduler.com/

Free have used it for the last three years never had a problem.

James
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    gavel snipe for me....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.biddingscheduler.com/

Free have used it for the last three years never had a problem.

James >>

Second that. Never had an issue with them. Their service is worth every penny. image
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    Just snipe is ok but it costs about $5/month. overall not bad.

I use biddingscheduler. its free and no problems.

andy save your self $5/month
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I use Gixen. It's FREE, but ... I use their mirror service, which is a backup service they provide. Cost for the year $5. Used to use Biddingscheduler, never again, had some problems with them, so they were dumped. Funny thing about Gixen. They sell advertising on their site, and one of the advertisers ... another snipe service ... Bidnapper.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I have been using Gixen for years. I've never once had a problem with a snipe misfiring. I have never purchased their mirror service - if you're a bottom feeder like me, I wouldn't worry about the $6. If you plan on sniping high-dollar cards, then spend the $6 to ensure your bid will go through.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gixen.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I have a former US Senator sitting at my computer manually entering my bids when there are 2 seconds left in the auction. He says it is the most work he's ever done in his life. He actually likes it because he says it is just like being a Senator . . . he's spending someone else's money!!!
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    esnipe has always been good for me...I am sure there are plenty of great options out there.
  • Options
    I don't use one. It's more fun doing it yourself.
    The downside is I miss a bunch of auctions.
    The upside is that it saves me a lot of money.
  • Options
    I don't believe in sniping.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well geez, glad I read this. I've been using Auctionsniper for years; never had any trouble and it works great but I guess I've been wasting my quarters per snipe until now.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Biddingscheduler.com

Absolutely no problems and so easy to use.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Just tried GavelSnipe for the first time tonight. I only won one auction out of the 21 I sniped, but I thought the service was pretty slick. Thank you to this thread for the suggestions.
  • Options
    abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Biddingscheduler.com

Absolutely no problems and so easy to use. >>

+1

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>What exactly does a sniping service do for you? I'm new at this ebay bidding game. I usually check VCP and completed listings and bid accordingly
    thanks for answering >>

It helps reduce your risk of being shilled.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe in sniping. >>

But sniping believes in you.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What exactly does a sniping service do for you? I'm new at this ebay bidding game. I usually check VCP and completed listings and bid accordingly
    thanks for answering >>

It helps reduce your risk of being shilled. >>

You also reduce your risk of "heat of the moment" bidding....theres bidders that will keep bidding up to their max bid in the middle of an auction...maybe 3-4 days left.

Say you are someone who throws out a competetive bid as soon as you see the auction. You put up your max bid. Then one of these other bidders comes along that just "has to have it" and they throw out 5 bids before they hit your ceiling.

Now imagine that the "heat of the moment bidder" throws out a bid first...but you don't bid. So they don't up their bid either. And now when you snipe, maybe it goes to your max bid, maybe it goes over. But some of the time, you will get the item for WAY less than your max.

This happened to me in an auction last night. It was an item that ought to have sold in the $10 range. And there have been multiple bid scenarios for similiar items recently. I am quite certain had I tossed out my $9.50 max bid a couple days earlier that the item would have escalated to near that bid, or perhaps even over. But I sniped at the last moment and got it for just the minimum bid over the previous bidder. $3.75.

It won't work on hot items where theres multiple bidders above a certain price range. But it generally works on most items.

I manually snipe. The ebay app and a generally good 3G network in Downtown LA make this super easy to do...at work, walking home, where ever really. If I did not have that option, I would definitely use one of the sniping software programs.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Glad I read this thread. I've been using auctionsniper.com for a while now. Going to try gavelsnipe.com on my next one and see how it goes. Save some quarters!

The only drawback I can see is that you have to use it from a PC because it doesn't like the mobile URL. This is is different from auctionsniper.com which uses the item number. Easy to do from the mobile site or app.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    I also use auctionsniper.com. No problems. I used esnipe.com years ago and didn't have a problem with that site either.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also use auctionsniper.com. No problems. I used esnipe.com years ago and didn't have a problem with that site either. >>

auctionsniper works well, but why pay them when gavelsnipe is free? I switched when this thread first started and have no complaints.
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to switch. How do they make $$?
  • Options
    Ok, I just registered. I'll find out tonight if there were any problems.
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    I signed up with gavelsnipe quite awhile ago but never used it as most things I buy on eBay are things nobody else would ever bid on or are BINs. I'm watching an item listed on ebay.ca and tried to set up a snipe tonight and it kept telling me that the URL was invalid. After some searching I found this out that if you want to snipe ebay.ca you have to open the auction on ebay.com.au and then use that URL. It makes no sense to me but it did work.