Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Error/Variation from 1926 Lambert & Butler Who's Who in Sport?

I have a graded 1926 Lambert & Butler Who's Who in Sport #2 R.T. Jones that seems to have an error/variation in that it does not have the "Lambert & Butler / England" text printed in the small box near the bottom on the back side, though there's no note about the variation on the flip. Has anyone here ever seen this error on any cards from the set?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• I think your card was misidentified. What you have is a 1927 British American tobacco card as opposed to the 1926 lambert and butler. They look the same, but they are a different issue. Common mistake.

Example

Of course, I could be wrong. But, I don't think I am.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're definitely correct, thank you. The back matches up with other cards (not Jones but different card numbers) I found from that 1927 set. Yet another mech. error to get corrected now...

Any idea as to the difference in value for the 1926 L&B vs. the 1927 Brit/Amer for R.T. (Bobby) Jones? The pop report is 225 for 1926 vs. 51 for 1927. It is easy to find the 1926 version raw/ungraded too, but I don't see another 1927 right away. However, there is usually more interest in a first/earliest issue.

• << <i>You're definitely correct, thank you. The back matches up with others I found from that 1927 set. Yet another mech. error to get corrected now... >>

You're welcome.
    Mechanical errors; story of my life...
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I was editing the other reply during the time you wrote that response. Any guesses on relative value as compared with the 1926 would be interesting to hear.

• << <i>Sorry, I was editing the other reply during the time you wrote that response. Any guesses on relative value as compared with the 1926 would be interesting to hear. >>

In my experience, the BAT cards are a little harder to find (however, my experience is with purchasing Gene Tunney cards), while the Lambert and Butler are a little easier to track down (again, my experience is with Tunney). I would definitely keep it if you are happy with the card, and try to find a lambert and butler. No idea about value. Maybe one of the golf guys?
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan is right.

As a side note, there is a variation in the 1926 L&B set where the card's number (on the front) can be found either directly to the left of the subject's name or directly above the subject's name. The number above version is much, much tougher. Not sure if this variation also exists on the B.A.T. cards.