Home Precious Metals
Options

Digital Scale recommendations requested.

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like it is time to find a good digital scale. Does anyone have a good one that they really like?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I use an AMW-600 (American Weigh Scales, Inc). Cheap, and good for up to 600 grams or 20 oz. BUT, one drawback that you may find is that it only measures in .1 gram increments (which works fine with what I use it for).

Edited to add: Very portable also. The original box it fits in is about the size of 2 cigarette packs side by side.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I have two different scales. A 100g/0.01g and a 500g/0.1g. Both el cheapos from China which have worked just fine for the most part. The only thing I would change is get one with a calibration weight if possible (most come without). I also would have made sure the plate was the highest point on my 500g scale. The one I have the screen is actually slightly higher, so I can't use it as a small postal scale for larger size items. I paid under $15 shipped for each.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's a good place to buy a scale? Is 0.1g accurate enough to check for fakes?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I bought the ones I have on ebay over 8 years ago for about $10 ea. and they still work.
    I find that .1g is ok for small stuff, I have another for larger only accurate to the 1g
    1 is 500g x.1g and the other is 2000g x 1g-I mostly use the second for postage
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had for many years an Acculab model333. 300g capacity, +-0.1g.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two scales that are both very affordable, easy to use and very accurate for home use.

Each scale is pocket sized and perfect as a tag along to coin shows or to your local BM bullion store.
    The palmscale has a higher weight capacity, 800 grams vs 300 grams on the proscale.
    I, personally, favor the palmscale but either one is more than capable of doing the job.

The scales both will measure to a resolution of .001 of a troy ounce, or 0.1 of a gram

As for a good place to purchase a scale, I love this place Old Will Knott, never had a problem with them and I've purchased my own scales and some others for family members.

The last picture has 400 grams gold in the tray. That should weigh out at 12.8603 troy ounces, notice the palmscale easily caches the weight difference of the plastic holder (1g) protecting one of the 50 gram bars (which is partially hidden from view under the 100 gram bar).

If you don't need real high weight capacity and value high resolution (accuracy) this looks like a real nice choice 300 gram -.001 resolution - price function - extras . its simular to one I have but has a lower weight capacity and higher resolution

Edited to add note about photo.

JC
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat collection of gold bars.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your looking to be able to weigh up to a kilo sized gold bar, demand high res. at .01g and you are not scared off by the price, this model on "sale" looks like a nice machine and it's one of a small group that are certified as legal for use in trade. NTEP certified trade scale

As mentioned in another post acculab scales are very nice too. I don't see them on this site but I have friends and family who have worked in the jewelry business and some of them would use acculab scales, though I'm not sure what models they used, which makes a difference, particularly when your selling product based on weight.

JC

Edited for spelling, dang it.
  • Options

NTEP certified trade scale

That's a very nice price for that scale. Although the table is much too small for my purposes. I have 2 legal for trade Scales. I'm required to use them in my business, but honestly, for most people the cheap things from China are very practical. So what if they're slightly off. In my experience, with a highly accurate scale you will be dumbfounded how much legitimate products differ in weight anyway. I don't use scales to sniff out fakes.
  • Options
    Why not you search on ebay or amazon because there is a range of NTEP certified scale that you need for your home and business. I have bough one last month it have many features with long life battery at really cheap price. You can find lot of products with latest features there.

Click Here
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have two different scales. A 100g/0.01g and a 500g/0.1g. Both el cheapos from China which have worked just fine for the most part. The only thing I would change is get one with a calibration weight if possible (most come without). I also would have made sure the plate was the highest point on my 500g scale. The one I have the screen is actually slightly higher, so I can't use it as a small postal scale for larger size items. I paid under $15 shipped for each. >>

If you can get them easily, match bullets make good calibration weights as they are usually right on the gnat's arse weightwise and can be used in combination for different weight ranges.
  • Options

A tale of caution

I had been using certified scales for many yrs. Years ago in the winter when the temp was probably in the 30's, I left my mobile scale in the truck accidentally. Early that morning before it had a chance to warm up, I had used it to purchase 4-500 ozt sterling. Determined the weight, worked out melt, paid cash and left. Later in the afternoon while finishing paperwork I re-weighed it. Turns out the scale was understating the weight by 25% or so when it was cold. Yes, I made up the difference.