Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fake? Danzig 5 Gulden

1927 Danzig 5 Gulden, rarest and highest-valued in the series ...

Trying to determine if this is authentic. There is a "window" missing in the lower left area of the castle. And, it has incuse edge lettering which Krause does not mention (at least not in my edition). Anyone?

here is the coin
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    I say it is all wrong....JMHO

Chris

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    This coin is definitely fake. The seven is wrong and as you pointed out the window is missing. It does not even appear to be silver. -Dan
  • Options

The missing window is a problem. I was able to find one description that included a reference to the edge inscription. Of all the places I looked only Worthpoint included anything about the edge.

SILVER COIN OF THE FREE CITY DANZIG 5 GULDEN 1923 CHURCH MARII PANNY IN DANZIG M I R R O R S T A M P 100% ORIGINAL DIAMETER - 35 mm WEIGHT - 24,9 gr. MATERIAL - Ag 750 MINTAGE - ????? COIN DESIGNER - FRYDERYK FISCHER MINT - UTRECHT HOLLAND INSCRIPTION ON THE EDGE - NEC*TEMERE*NEC*TIMIDE

The mintage in Krause says 700,000.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok guys, here are some to check it with....
    seems to be very obvious..... Looks like a prime example from the PRoC.
    However, perhaps someone can check with Guy Franquinett in germany?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Feb-24-13 at 10:08:03 PST, seller added the following information:

Missing window at the low left building

On Feb-26-13 at 12:15:53 PST, seller added the following information:

Perhaps a copy. Please retract your bid if in doubt

The seller added the above but what if you don't check your auctions and buy it anyways because you bid early. It is still against ebay policy to attempt to sell it as genuine.

The coin is not genuine.

reported