Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Am I wasting my money getting these graded?

Most of these cards are in poor condition except for a few, but I like them any because they are cool to have regardless of condition. Would I be wasting my time and money to get them graded just because I think they would look nicer in the cases? All of them are in poor condition. I would not feel so bad sending the 1970 McLain and the 1964 Kaline. McLain is probably the best looking wen terms of condition, but the Kaline I think is just a great looking card based on the picture.

Comments

• MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    What cards are you talking about buddy?
  • Not the most vintage cards. And they are noticeably not the best, but I sort of like it that about them. Would I be wasting money to get them graded. I would put scans but my scanner is messed up. I'd be willing to email a pic if anyone was really wanting to see them.

1964 Topps Mantle, Brock and Kaline
    1972 Topps Freehan, Cash
    1958 Topps Mantle Sports Mag Card
    1970 Topps McLain
    1961 Topps Mays...bad condition haha couple of creases
    1965 Topps Norm Cash
    1972 Topps Mays...bad as well
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go ahead and get them graded! Sounds like you want to anyway.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    If you are wanting to keep them for your collection I say go for it. If they are for resale I wouldn't do it.
  • Vintage,
    See I thought it would be the exact opposite. If I was going to sell them, get them authenticated to show they are real. And if they are just for your collection don't worry about the grading. I am asking because I don't know and I am still learning. Thanks

-Brandon
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    As a general rule, grade all Mantles issued during his playing days.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • I've found that the ultra pro magnetic single card plastic cases display very well, if you're looking for something to encapsle it in.

Like has been suggested, I do not necessarily think you want to spend the money to submit them if you are not selling them and/or it won't substantially improve the value of the card.
  • Thank you everyone for the info. I like listening to everyone's advice because like I said earlier, I'm still learning. I think I'll get the Mantle's, McLain, and the 64 Kaline graded. Thanks again

-Brandon
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I say get them graded if you want them graded for your personal collection.

I got my 1962 Topps #53 AL HR Leaders (Mantle/Maris/Killbrew/Gentile) graded because it was my first Mantle card. PSA 4 baby...but it's still my favorite card in my collection (followed closely by my '66 Koufax and '66 Aaron that will both grade 1 when I send them to PSA).
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get them graded.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I get a lot of stuff graded that I know is worth less than the encapsulation fee. I just like them in PSA holders.
    If they are lower grade I dont think you add much resale value after grading fees, shipping, insurance, plus it may take a long time to get them back. For me personally I would only grade them if I wanted to keep them for my collection and thought they would look better displayed that way. Either way you should just do what you want. Good luck if you decide to sub them.
  • My rule is, I pretty much get everything graded that I want graded. I don't care about resale value, or whether it's "worth" grading or not. If I want it in a slab, that's what I'll do because my collection is mine and I'll determine what's best for it.

I say, go for it.
  • bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a general rule, grade all Mantles issued during his playing days. >>

I agree with this general rule about Mantles as for the rest I wouldn't get
    them graded sell them raw.

James
  • Thank you everyone, I got a lot of good advice on here. I'm always down to read more.