Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Denali Silver 5 Oz Puck...going, going... GONE 2/26. El Yunque NOW GOING DARK.

AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
Backordered status now, last chance folks.

Acadia and Hawaii have been winners so far, part of the 2012 line of low mintage ATB's.

What's next, Chaco or El Yunque? (both are unknown places for most folks)

EDITED to announce SOLD OUT status the morning of 2/26, announced by Spotthedog. Edited again, CHACO? Thoughts?

EDITED 3/1 to announce El Yunque is now on backorder status. Last Chance! Chaco will be soon... (thanks alhas for the update)
Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Comments

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I bought mine last week. I had been on the fence. Notice that the buillion version is rising as well.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting, since the last reported sales for Denali were roughly a thousand less than Hawaii:

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OZ UNC COINS
    2012-P El Yunque National Forest 16,328
    2012-P Chaco Culture National Historical Park 13,902
    2012-P Acadia National Park 14,716
    2012-P Hawaii Volcanoes 14,863*
    2012-P Denali National Park & Preserve 13,831

• Options

<< <i>That's interesting, since the last reported sales for Denali were roughly a thousand less than Hawaii:

2012-P El Yunque National Forest 16,328
    2012-P Chaco Culture National Historical Park 13,902
    2012-P Acadia National Park 14,716
    2012-P Denali National Park & Preserve 13,831 >>

I'm thinking a rebound in interest -- Denali's are selling more briskly now as a result of $400 - $500 sales of the sister editions...

As for pucks FTB, not sure you really want to shoot something worth far more than a stick potentially...

Enjoy the HUNT and the spoils.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Hockey gear is so expensive these days!!

(Hawaii ATB pucks are selling for $500+ each now...Acadia $400+)

Will Chacos have any sex appeal?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these coins may become quite the collectible down the road, both the bullion and premium versions. The details on the designs are generally too small on the circulation-strike and proof quarters, but show up quite well on the 5oz. silver versions. The 2012 bullion coins have crazy-low mintages compared to bullion silver eagles - 20 thousand vs. 30 million plus.

Given their increasing popularity, the 2012 silver ATBs may turn out to be the lowest mintage coins in the entire series.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these coins may become quite the collectible down the road, both the bullion and premium versions. The details on the designs are generally too small on the circulation-strike and proof quarters, but show up quite well on the 5oz. silver versions. The 2012 bullion coins have crazy-low mintages compared to bullion silver eagles - 20 thousand vs. 30 million plus.

Given their increasing popularity, the 2012 silver ATBs may turn out to be the lowest mintage coins in the entire series. >>

Yup. The largest and heaviest coins ever produced by the US Mint. Each coin has a different and interesting design and with their very low mintages for a modern coin this series look like a winner.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Is there any difference between the coins being sold by the mint at 229.00 per coin...which are packaged in cap and box.....and the ones being offered on Ebay, where the sellers claim the coins came directly out of rolls.....In other words ...are there two versions....a collector version for 229.00 and a bullion version sold in bulk???
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Is there any difference between the coins being sold by the mint at 229.00 per coin...which are packaged in cap and box.....and the ones being offered on Ebay, where the sellers claim the coins came directly out of rolls.....In other words ...are there two versions....a collector version for 229.00 and a bullion version sold in bulk??? >>

Yes, that sums it up.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there any difference between the coins being sold by the mint at 229.00 per coin...which are packaged in cap and box.....and the ones being offered on Ebay, where the sellers claim the coins came directly out of rolls.....In other words ...are there two versions....a collector version for 229.00 and a bullion version sold in bulk??? >>

Yes, that sums it up. >>

, Oh, and the mint in the box version adds a mintmark P...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, that sums it up. >>

, Oh, and the mint in the box version adds a mintmark P... >>

In addition to a P mintmark the mint sold coins have a satin or matt proof-like finish and are virtually flawless.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In other words ...are there two versions....a collector version for 229.00 and a bullion version sold in bulk??? >>

Yes. The collector version, available directly from the mint, bears a "P" mintmark. The bullion coin, distributed through the AP network, has no mintmark.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received this email from austin rare coins, and they have sets of these for sale limited, and singles. But what bothers me is this comment in the email/This series was originally set to be a 56-coin, eleven-year series ending in 2021. However, the U.S. Mint abruptly stopped minting them last year and there are no guarantees that the series will be continued. It is this speculation that has driven coins like the Volcano, Acadia and Denali to be sold out at the U.S. Mint and virtually unobtainable on the secondary market. Likewise, prices and premiums have skyrocketed over their Silver content.//////// Now I have not heard they were going to stop this series, has anyone else? Just in case some of you are looking for these the set is in across the street holders 69 ER for 1629 and they have singles too. I have no affiliation and the link is just for those who might want these.
    Austin 2021 sets Enjoy image Ok just noticed these are NOT the Mints version but are the bullion version..........
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought one. Thanks for the heads up Akbeez.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how hard is it to get a good wrister off with these things? I mean, I'm worried about the stress on my carbon-fiber stick/blade. Sure as heck I won't try any slapshots with them. >>

That took me a sec to understand. I live in the land of palm trees, where Spanish moss hangs from the trees. We have alligators. Our azaleas are already blooming and I'm wearing short sleeves. Plus I've never been a sports fan.

So all of that whooshed over my head for a moment. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Not sure about the bullion version, but as far as the "P" version is concerned, the Mint's website states "Five America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins will be minted annually and released in the order in which the honored site was first established as a national site, with the final coin issued in 2021." (This is the last sentence in the "program information" interior link.)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it appears that Hawaii is a tough
    one to get !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Denali is now SOLD OUT at the US Mint!
  • Options
    Looks like the "P" versions of Hawaii, Acadia and Denali should all have similar final mintages around 15,000 each or perhaps a little less. Chaco's a possibility also.

Link

• Options
    Agreed -- Chaco could very well be in the same mintage class. El Yunque is likely going to be the "dog" of the year, but may still hold a premium.

As for program termination, I have not heard that either.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very timely notice, thanks
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Tommy -- you are right about evaporating on the 2ndary markets, only things available at the dealers are Chaco and El Yunque, in either bullion or collectors versions -- or top dollar for what's left. I think dealers are waiting for price jumps now before listing.
  • Options
    Big whoop. They are just coasters.

15,000 is not rare. I think these are cool only for real collectors.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Hey! Is there something being talked about as Flippable around here?image
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Oh! Pucks....ok...nevermind
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Big whoop. They are just coasters.

15,000 is not rare. I think these are cool only for real collectors. >>

I think the opposite-- plenty of non-collector's jaws drop when they see these things, complete with a "What the hell is that?" look of disbelief when I tell them it's a legal tender quarter.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Big whoop. They are just coasters.

15,000 is not rare. I think these are cool only for real collectors. >>

I think the opposite-- plenty of non-collector's jaws drop when they see these things, complete with a "What the hell is that?" look of disbelief when I tell them it's a legal tender quarter. >>

They are quite impressive. They are far larger and far heavier than any other legal tender coin ever made by the US Mint.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Agreed -- Chaco could very well be in the same mintage class. El Yunque is likely going to be the "dog" of the year, but may still hold a premium.

As for program termination, I have not heard that either. >>

I believe these 5ozers were produced by an act of congress.
    I would think that it would take another congressional act before the mint could stop minting them.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost feels like the "old days" huh, CoinBoy!?

Even if they are "just pucks." Gotta get my fix somewhere and sometimes........

2012 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ – Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska (NQ4)

Price: $229.95

Sold Out

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Miles, ah yes -- like 2008?

No hype here tho, a Denali-P auction just ended for $370...just sayin...I bet CoinBoy secretly stuffed a few away...
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to join the bandwagon, but I've disliked the 5 oz. coins since they were released with such a mess back in 2010. That being said, there is an increasing demand for them now and I'm finding myself not disliking them as much with these coins selling out at the Mint.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't want to join the bandwagon, but I've disliked the 5 oz. coins since they were released with such a mess back in 2010. That being said, there is an increasing demand for them now and I'm finding myself not disliking them as much with these coins selling out at the Mint.

- Ian >>

Welcome to the bandwagon image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Thoughts on Chaco? Any guesses?

I'm guessing by the dealer markets (relative absence) that these will do well too?
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    These are going the way of the first spouse....lower mintages each year. I won't be surprised if these drop to the 9,000 to 10,000 mintage range over the next couple years...so 15,000 doesn't sound low to me either.
  • Options

<< <i>These are going the way of the first spouse....lower mintages each year. I won't be surprised if these drop to the 9,000 to 10,000 mintage range over the next couple years...so 15,000 doesn't sound low to me either. >>

You're comparing apples to oranges. The ATB coins are far less expensive compared to the first spouse coins so the potential market for them is far larger. You have to consider the supply in relation to the demand. Also, you need to consider the subject matter of each series---the America the Beautiful national parks will appeal to far more people than the first hags theme.

• Options

<< <i>Thoughts on Chaco? Any guesses?

I'm guessing by the dealer markets (relative absence) that these will do well too? >>

we won't know until the mintage gets to about 15k if the mint made only 15k , like the last 3 or more than 15k like the first 1(El).
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    Updated sales figures:

2012-P El Yunque National Forest 16,462
    2012-P Chaco Culture National Historical Park 14,093
    2012-P Acadia National Park 14,978
    2012-P Denali National Park & Preserve 14,552
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the pucks, but they are just too unwieldy for me. It's actually funny that Jack Hunt has been dribbling out the remainder of their 2010 MS-69 DMPL FS Pucks over the past 4 or 5 months and the prices of those coins continue in an anemic spiral downward. As you may recall, they were one of the distributors who shipped out tons of crappy, scuffed-up coins to frenzied buyers instead of selling them as received, and instead sent all of the nice coins to tpgs for labelling. Then they held back the MS-69 DMPL FS coins, hoping for a major score in the first year of issue. It's really no wonder that the series took a hit after that type of misbehavior.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Updated sales figures:

2012-P Denali National Park & Preserve 14,552 >>

Looks like Denali will be the lowest mintage and a winner.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Agreed -- Chaco could very well be in the same mintage class. El Yunque is likely going to be the "dog" of the year, but may still hold a premium.

As for program termination, I have not heard that either. >>

I believe these 5ozers were produced by an act of congress.
    I would think that it would take another congressional act before the mint could stop minting them.

HH >>

The bullion 5 oz ATBs are produced in accordance with an act of congress.

The collector versions, on the other hand, can be stopped any time. There's no law saying they have to be made.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Updated sales figures:

2012-P Denali National Park & Preserve 14,552 >>

Looks like Denali will be the lowest mintage and a winner. >>

I hope you are right, but ain't over yet -- Acadia and Denali mintages are not final in this update. Chaco could be -- but I think it's an underdog and may nestle itself between El Yunque and Acadia.
  • Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

If mintages play out as the quarters did....Chaco should be in line with Denali....and El Yunque will remain high mintage by far.....
  • Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up 3 Chaco. Thanks for the heads up
    Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest advantage (and) disadvantage is the size. If you pick designs you like, they look fantastic. However, I'd need to make an addition to my house to store all 56 of them. I get one a year that I like. So far I have:

Yosemite
    Olympic
    Chaco Culture

I will pick up the Ohio one when it comes out.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    5 oz El Yunque is currently on backorder status:

Product will be available for shipping 03/16/2013
  • Options
    hedged and just missed Acadia......
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could a couple thousand of you "puck flippers" log off of the Mint website so I can get through to get my Yunques?!!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    It's not me, I'm passing on EY's. My B/O Denali's all shipped yesterday.
  • Options
    Really, then there is nope yet for mine image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file