Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Luck Auto Cards! $25,000+++ Why?

Afternoon fellow collectors!

I have collected for a while, (30 years, including very vintage...) and I am dumbfounded at the prices that Andrew Luck, etc. cards are going for on eBay. I am new to the, "new stuff," but this is really getting out of hand in my opinion. I am seeing prices that he reflects the best of all time at his position and also, "the most rare of rare."

I write to You now, wondering how and why, Andrew Luck's rookie card from anywhere can go for these numbers. I have heard it's because of supply and demand......??? Hmmm???? Supply and demand of what? Someone who can get hurt on one play? Someone who could emotionally flip? Someone who's team's decisions could affect his "stock" price?

I am old enough to remember Joe Theisman's knee awful injury, and as a stock & currency trader would YOU really shell out $20K+++ right now for him given the danger of hard hits in the league? If you would, I am shocked. The risk/reward scenario is terrible.

Please, by all means, let me know Your thoughts on this subject......for I still enjoy the excitement that is going on!

Thanks,

Clyde

Comments

• Options
    I think it's more about the status of owning the card than actually looking at it as an investment. You had that guy in 2010 who bought the Strasburg superfractor 1/1 for around 20K and his purchase got picked up by the associated press and ran in countless newspapers. and Strasburg got injured and needed Tommy John surgery and a whole lot of people gasped out of fear. As many have stated on these boards, too many people with more dollars than sense.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    "Yes, that makes a little more sense........but $20K? Wow.....in football, that's a HUGE risk, given 1 year. C'mon Man?image"
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    The only way this makes sense to me is if its really topps/upper deck/panini ect... Bidding these up and even winning them. 30k is a relatively small marketing expense. It's also a pretty affective marketing strategy IMO.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Does any Andrew Luck Rookie Card, and I mean any........= 31 X PSA 9 Walter Payton Rookie 1976 Topps?

Really? 31 of them showing up in the mail? PSA 9's? 31 of them?

C'mon Man!!!!image
  • Options
    "Or......60 Walter Payton PSA 9 for 42K? I haven't checked if there are that many exist from a TRUE Warrior. The math does not work out, for those that say supply and demand accounts for this. Just sayin. Would you really take one autograph card from Andrew Luck, over 60!!!!! PSA 9 1976 Topps Rookie Cards??? And those are not the off center graded! JUst sayin.....this amazes Me!
  • Options
    That's why I don't collect modern cards.
    They're just manufactured collectibles made artificially rare.
    Why anyone would buy them, let alone pay big $$ is beyond me.
  • Options
    "I hear Ya Mapleleaf!"
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I agree with mapleleaf!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Six people actually bid over $40,000.00 on that card! For them, it might be the equivalent of $50.00 to me. Either way, my preference would be a "PSA 7" 1952 Topps Mantle and $10,000.00 in my pocket.

But like it was said prior, for people who can throw around $40,000.00 like it's chump change, I guess they enjoy saying they have the only one that was ever made.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ".......well You Guys should speak Your Truth! Make it known with emotion and factual data! I bat boyed for the Orioles for years, and hate when someone post BS about the Ripken family or the Orioles......believe Me, I say it right. You should Too...image"
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    It makes no sense to me. I don't get what makes one 1/1 more desirable than another 1/1. There are so many different "short print" 1/x that the rarity of them is so contrived it makes me really lose interest. For 42k I could prob build a complete rookie card collection of the top 50 MLB players of all time.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    "Chump Change?????" Really? Again, as a batboy, I can speak real stuff......if they wanna shell out $40K in chump change......wow, I can help them real quick for one of a kind stuff!!!!!"
  • Options
    image[/IMG]
  • Options
    image[/IMG]
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>"Chump Change?????" Really? Again, as a batboy, I can speak real stuff......if they wanna shell out $40K in chump change......wow, I can help them real quick for one of a kind stuff!!!!!" >>

I did not say it was for me, but don't you think there are MANY people around who could afford to blow $40,000.00 and not even blink an eye? It's been in the news a lot recently where guys are blowing $10,000.00 - $100,000.00 IN ONE NIGHT at some Vegas nightclubs!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It makes no sense to me. I don't get what makes one 1/1 more desirable than another 1/1. There are so many different "short print" 1/x that the rarity of them is so contrived it makes me really lose interest. For 42k I could prob build a complete rookie card collection of the top 50 MLB players of all time. >>

Agree about the contrived rarity. I once purchased a John Stockton/Jerry West dual auto/jersey 1/1 only to find out the exact same card exisits, only numbered differently to 10, to 25 etc.
  • Options

Clyde's pic he tried to post.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    You can buy some great Michael Jordan cards for 30K and be confident that you won't lose money. Why spend that on a Luck card?? Look what happened to RG3. That could be Luck next year.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can buy some great Michael Jordan cards for 30K and be confident that you won't lose money. Why spend that on a Luck card?? Look what happened to RG3. That could be Luck next year. >>

I wouldn't be too confident about not losing money on any $30k modern card.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You can buy some great Michael Jordan cards for 30K and be confident that you won't lose money. Why spend that on a Luck card?? Look what happened to RG3. That could be Luck next year. >>

I wouldn't be too confident about not losing money on any $30k modern card. >>

Other than him getting caught imitating OJ, what would make Michael Jordan cards drop significantly in value? And a depression that tanks card values across the board doesn't count.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    I will be surprised if the sale is completed successfully.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the purchaser really likes him. I think that price is stupid, but that is me.

I also feel, most on this board are more worried about the investment factor of owning cards vs the enjoyment of it???
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Has any one noticed the card has been relisted?
  • Options

<< <i>Has any one noticed the card has been relisted? >>

Yup, almost anyone could've guessed the original winner wouldn't pay.