Options

Am I a jerk for doing this

2»

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>It's sternroolz. Why would you as a seller block me? I pay on time always, and occasionally I boost the final value of an auction. But I guess it wouldn't be the first time someone acts irrationally. >>

I hate to say it, but he might have a point here. >>

No kidding. Whatever you might think about what this practice says about the guy, why on earth would a SELLER want to block him? >>

There are still many people in this world who would rather sell to the honest man than sell to the jerk at a higher profit, especially the jerk who brags about being a jerk. The OP's money is no good to me, I'd rather give an item away.

Beyond that, where there's smoke there's fire. Thinking that the OP's shenanigans are limited to the bidding activity described here is a sure way to get burned down the line when there's some other issue with a transaction, some ebay sellers would prefer to just eliminate that possibility from the start.

The karma is real. It may not be instant, but it's real.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>It's sternroolz. Why would you as a seller block me? I pay on time always, and occasionally I boost the final value of an auction. But I guess it wouldn't be the first time someone acts irrationally. >>

I hate to say it, but he might have a point here. >>

No kidding. Whatever you might think about what this practice says about the guy, why on earth would a SELLER want to block him? >>

There are still many people in this world who would rather sell to the honest man than sell to the jerk at a higher profit, especially the jerk who brags about being a jerk. The OP's money is no good to me, I'd rather give an item away.

Beyond that, where there's smoke there's fire. Thinking that the OP's shenanigans are limited to the bidding activity described here is a sure way to get burned down the line when there's some other issue with a transaction, some ebay sellers would prefer to just eliminate that possibility from the start.

The karma is real. It may not be instant, but it's real. >>

You're confusing a lot of concepts. I've never been dishonest in my eBay transactions. Even to the point where the few times I sell, I list even minor flaws not visible in pictures.

And Karma can be a relative concept. There's karmic retribution for things other than being a jerk.
  • Options
    John,

I think what really bothers me about this action, is the personality trait that you are displaying. I am by no means an expert in this field, but in such a minor or petty issue, you have chossen a revenge tactic. So what would you do if you thought you were wronged on a bigger scale? And to boot, you seem to not care what others on this board think. So, why start this thread in the first place?

I think that would be a good reason to block you, the fear of not knowing what you would do or how far you would go! For all I know, you could get mad at what I post here, bid on one of my items, not pay, than leave negitive feedback, than get my address or phone number from ebay and come over and kill me!!!

OK, that's a little over the top, but that's what I think of when I think of somebody with a strong revenge trait.
    Now of course, there is a good chance that you never upped a bid on a paticular seller for your stated reason & you just posted this thread to create drama. If that's the case, what a waste of time by all that posted in this thread, but it would make more sense on why you started this thread in the first place.

Otherwise, let me get this straight: You post a thread asking if you are a jerk for your actions. Everybody says you are a jerk, some worse, and than want to argue with them and also say you do not care what they think ( based on internet response, since we are on the internet). Do I have that correct?
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do unto others, bro. >>

Whats that got to do with anything in this discussion?

I try to keep it very simple: I make every attempt to eschew behavior toward others that I wouldn't want to be the recipient of. You can slice and dice this however you want, but the sole purpose for your bids was to force someone else to extract the max from his/her wallet. Hard to argue that when you admitted to gaining a sense of fulfillment from said actions. Legitimately locking horns with someone is not what we're talking about here. The fact that you coveted the same cards quickly took a back seat, all because you disapproved of the timing and the amount. When I vehemently disagree with someone else, my first thought is not to make them pay where it hurts most. The day my actions embody that type of mindset is the day I stop collecting cards.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there John.

I asked how old you were out of idle curiosity.

Nothing more.
    Mike
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    A couple things:
    1) Please remove the Dodger logo and get a new screen name. I don't want anybody to associate your insane behavior with other Dodger fans.
    2) Get a life. My gosh dude. You sound horribly pathetic.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I will run across all the auctions they are bidding on and run up each one to just below what their max bid is. And I gain sense of fulfillment in making certain the donkey bidder pays the maximum.
    >>

This sounds like the plot to nearly every episode of Storage Wars. >>

great post, thank you
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Navin R. Johnson: Well I'm gonna go then! And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need *you*. I don't need anything. Except this.
    [picks up an ashtray]
    Navin R. Johnson: And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.
    [walking outside]
    Navin R. Johnson: The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.
    Navin R. Johnson: [outside now] And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
    [Chithead growls at him]
    Navin R. Johnson: I don't need my dog.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Otherwise, let me get this straight: You post a thread asking if you are a jerk for your actions. Everybody says you are a jerk, some worse, and than want to argue with them and also say you do not care what they think ( based on internet response, since we are on the internet). Do I have that correct? >>

Yeah, pretty much sums it up.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>you don't know lulz. >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFtPXiHaEds
  • Options

<< <i> Why would you as a seller block me? I pay on time always, and occasionally I boost the final value of an auction. But I guess it wouldn't be the first time someone acts irrationally.
    No kidding. Whatever you might think about what this practice says about the guy, why on earth would a SELLER want to block him?

The karma is real. It may not be instant, but it's real. >>

This !!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Howard Stern does rule!!
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    YUUUP!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer your question. Yes you are a jerk. BUT your petty behavior doesn't affect me so if you are having fun, go for it.

Please feel free to bid on any or ALL of my auctions. As long as you don't retract, and you pay for items you win, I couldn't care less.

Enjoy the hobby one and all!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Not sure if this is legit or troll vs troll, but.....

I've been to an auction or 2 and I've held my hand up to run up someone for such reasons as A) I don't like them B) I was in a bad mood or C) the auction was taking forever and the floor was busting a thousand dollar item down to 5 bucks before running it back up to 1000 in five dollar increments and it's a big fat waste of time.

If I plan to honor each bid (and I've been left holding the bag occasionally) and if I'm not doing it for any obviously unethical reasons such as I know the item is a fake but it was described to the floor as authentic or I'm aware of any shill bidders here there or anywhere, then I fail to see the problem.

I have a right to raise my hand and I don't have to tell you or anyone else my reasons. If I'm not in cahoots with the house or the seller, etc, and if I honor every bid, it strikes me as thoughtcrime for you to purport that "this bid" (Mr Walnut raises left hand cause he really really wants the item) is legit but "that bid" (Mr Walnut raises right hand because he's in a bad mood) is unethical.

It's nobody's business if I'm thinking happy thoughts as I raised my hand or mean dirty nasty thoughts. If I registered legitimately and honor every bid, why would it be anybody's business but mine?
  • Options
    Oh, and PS: Stern no longer rules. He has abdicated and is now circling the bowl waiting for the flush. AGT my fat hairy butt!
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if this is legit or troll vs troll, but.....

I've been to an auction or 2 and I've held my hand up to run up someone for such reasons as A) I don't like them B) I was in a bad mood or C) the auction was taking forever and the floor was busting a thousand dollar item down to 5 bucks before running it back up to 1000 in five dollar increments and it's a big fat waste of time.

If I plan to honor each bid (and I've been left holding the bag occasionally) and if I'm not doing it for any obviously unethical reasons such as I know the item is a fake but it was described to the floor as authentic or I'm aware of any shill bidders here there or anywhere, then I fail to see the problem.

I have a right to raise my hand and I don't have to tell you or anyone else my reasons. If I'm not in cahoots with the house or the seller, etc, and if I honor every bid, it strikes me as thoughtcrime for you to purport that "this bid" (Mr Walnut raises left hand cause he really really wants the item) is legit but "that bid" (Mr Walnut raises right hand because he's in a bad mood) is unethical.

It's nobody's business if I'm thinking happy thoughts as I raised my hand or mean dirty nasty thoughts. If I registered legitimately and honor every bid, why would it be anybody's business but mine? >>

Your right! You have the right to bid any way you see fit, but when you start a thread asking for opinions on if you are a jerk or not, than opinions is what you are going to get! The vast majority feels this action consitutes being a jerk or worse and after all, he did ask!
  • Options
    That's a good point. I guess everything is on the up and up: he asked and the room responded their various ways.

Ethics are very tricky, especially now that everyone is a "storage expert", a "auction expert" and a "picking expert" thanks to those fake shows.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I am going through a situation right now on eBay where a buyer is paying top dollar for the Hawaiian tokens I collect. When a seller recently listed 20 of these tokens for sale, this buyer won 15 of the auctions with huge bids. Some of the tokens are very rare and this may have been my last shot at them, but I was outbid and had to accept it. The one thing I did do was contact the buyer and ask him why he was running up the bids on all these certain token auctions, He said he decided go put a set of these tokens together, he knows they are rare and put in strong bids to ensure he won. At least I now know it wasn't a schill bidder. The only thing I can do is wait for these tokens to come back up for sale again. I guess I could have made him pay even more for each token, but I never thought of doing this. I just need to bid higher next time if I really want the token.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off- to answer the question posed by the OP...yes, frankly I think you are a jerk-and a childish one at that. "Wahh- he's bidding more than I wanna pay- so I'll just show him! I'll make him pay every last dime! Wahhh!"
    The really amusing part is that you are only potentially hurting yourself in the long run. Consider this: consistent patterns of certain items being run up to strong numbers means that others owning similar items will put them up for sale...but at those higher numbers, thanks in part to you. Translation: you will be costing yourself money.

And you are now on my BBL- even though I'm not yet selling any cards (but plan to)...and on many other BBLs as well. Why? Because for some of us, character still counts. I neither want to, nor do I need to sell to jerks.
    What's sad though is that by your responses, it's obvious you legitimately think you aren't doing anything wrong.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    The buyers on all the storage locker auction shows always run up the prices on the auctions. They all seem like jerks to me, but their reasoning is to make the newbs waste their money and drop out/ go out of business quicker.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    surely you must have better things to do with your time....

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>On occasion I'll ser several eBay auctions from the same seller where I want multiple items. So I put them in my watch list to snipe.

On occasion, someone will bid up the items early and their max bid can be discerned by their bidding pattern. And on occasion these max bids will be ridiculously high for what the item is. So I get a bit miffed and will run across all the auctions they are bidding on and run up each one to just below what their max bid is. And I gain sense of fulfillment in making certain the donkey bidder pays the maximum.

An I terrible, or justified in ensuring that stupid bidders are fleeced? >>

It's legal until proven otherwise. Nobody should bid on something higher than they are willing to pay. I applaud your effort here. Look at reality here. The only folks that are upset here are the ones that don't even buy cards. Being all righeous on things in this day and age are the fools. Anyone collect TTM autographs ? We're not in Kansas anymore. Screw the screwers is indeed a lot of fun.

Good job Sir.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP is still ignorant err I mean Yes he is a Jerk.
  • Options
    Whats funnier is this thread has been going on for over a week and is now nearly 5 pages deep. LOL! All to find out whether or not the OP is a jerk for bidding on items he knew he was not winning. I know some call that shill bidding, but thats in the case of your own items.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    What comes around goes around. So one day I am sure the favor will be repaid.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    LOL.

What would be funny is if more people started pointing out the truth of how auctions and sales prices are run up by people using money they don't really have, by unethical people intentionally cornering parts of the market by using personal info they have on collectors, or just in general how corrupt those who hype sports cards as investments are.

Well, actually that wouldn't be funny.

But for the moment, my bid run ups can be the pincushion.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>the truth of how auctions and sales prices are run up by people using money they don't really have >>

I suppose we can require that all potential bidders provide their last few years worth of tax returns just to make sure they can really afford what they're bidding on.

<< <i>by unethical people intentionally cornering parts of the market by using personal info they have on collectors >>

I'm curious, what kind of personal info are you talking about?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The funniest point of this thread is the author asking if others see him as a jerk, then acting offended when people say yes, this behavior qualifies as such. Further humor is derived from the repeated and more boisterous defensive claims saying you're doing nothing wrong, you're helping out the sellers, etc. etc.

Look, the people who took time to respond did so with legitimacy. Accept their responses and move on.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Ill admit i have one guy i bid up at local auctions...but hes a real dick. Forgive me father for I have sinned!!!
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    nope, hes that guy who will throw out a $20 bid on junk cards from the 90s that little kids want, and is also that guy who just holds his card up the whole time and doesnt put his number down regardless of price...so yeah thats kind of a no brainer
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you're being a jerk.

I've gotta admit though, and I'm not sure why, but I've always had a little more respect for the "self-proclaimed" dick. You know, the guy who kind of knows he's an ass and admits it. Much better than all the other dicks out there who think they are perfect and holier-than-thou.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The funniest point of this thread is the author asking if others see him as a jerk, then acting offended when people say yes, this behavior qualifies as such. Further humor is derived from the repeated and more boisterous defensive claims saying you're doing nothing wrong, you're helping out the sellers, etc. etc.

Look, the people who took time to respond did so with legitimacy. Accept their responses and move on. >>

This is an ongoing scenario with this and other boards. Someone will start a thread asking a question, but they don't really want honest replies; they simply want everyone to agree with them. And when they invariably don't, the OP of the thread gets defensive and confrontational, the thread degenerates, yada yada. So very predictable.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, you're being a jerk.

I've gotta admit though, and I'm not sure why, but I've always had a little more respect for the "self-proclaimed" dick. You know, the guy who kind of knows he's an ass and admits it. Much better than all the other dicks out there who think they are perfect and holier-than-thou. >>

A Shawn sighting!

Hi, Shawn!