Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Finally got my "white whale": 1967 Venezuelan Winter League #98 Damaso Blanco (update: got

I've been hunting this card for a few years. Since it proved very difficult to find, it ended up being the last one I needed to have a complete collection of the first card (major league, minor, or foreign) of EVERYONE who's ever played for the SF Giants since they moved out west in 1958.

He was a utility infielder who got most of his playing time as a late game sub. Topps never bothered to make a card of him in the American sets, and I don't see that he had any American minor league cards.

When I finalized the deal for this card, I felt like a little kid again, and opening the mail box was like a mini version of Christmas morning. Unfortunately the guy who sold it to me quietly waited 3 weeks after I paid him before he actually sent the card, but that's another story.

Anyways, here it is, the 1967 Venezuelan Winter League #98 Damaso Blanco.

Apparently these cards were frequently glued or taped into albums, so you can see that the card has horrid paper-loss on the back. Half of it is glue and paper that I might be able to get off, but the middle part is actual paper-loss. I asked one of the big Venezuelan collectors here if he could email me a nice scan of the back of his graded one so I can print it out and stick it in the toploader with it. image

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I remember when you first posted about looking for this , I did a hard look around the sites that sell "odd" stuff . I never had a blip on the screen . I'm happy that you finally found it ,----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Congrats man! I know you've been looking for that for quite awhile! I too looked for that for you quite a few months back through some of my resources. So glad you finally got it!

Justin
  • Options
    grats, and I like the "white whale" reference image
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    Mike
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, I've searched for this card for you quite a few times without success. Glad it happened!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    By the way , where did you end up finding it ? --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your pickup!!! imageimage

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    With so many eyes looking for it, you can see how tough it was. image Thanks for looking guys.

<< <i>By the way , where did you end up finding it ? --- Sonny >>

This one was bundled with a large lot of 67 Venezuelans that didn't sell on Ebay (very high starting bid). I asked the seller if he'd sell it alone and we agreed on a price.

It's a beater, I know, and I am going to keep my eyes open for a mid-grade card to upgrade to, but for me having this card on my "upgrade" list is infinitely better than having it on my "don't have" list.

Sometimes I'd rather have a hole in my card than a hole in my collection.

• Options
    Well, just a few months later, I managed to UPGRADE my white whale with a fully intact card. Thanks to telephoto1 for telling me about this card when he saw it for sale on another website.

It's got a diamond-ish cut to it, but it's got a back you can read. image

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Damaso is the definition of an excellent fielder but he is weak with the bat. His first year was his best year where he hit .290 and was named ROY! I'm glad that 9th grade spanish paid off!

Congratulations on maintaining such focus on your collecting. I similarly have a first-card focus in my collecting and it helps because you cannot buy everything, lol. I was wondering if u wouldn't mind sharing what rules you may have imposed on yourself in compiling your collection such as what was your decision if there were 2 or more cards that could be considered first cards? Similarly, If there is a first-card not considered an RC but issued the same year as the RC, what did you do? (e.g. minor league card issued same year as RC). Did stickers, pins, post-cards, team issued photos, marbles, bottle caps, candy lids, etc. get the nod if they were the first image? Anything else you can add? Thanks for your time and assistance!

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    When it rains, it pours. Very nice upgrade!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job! Finding nice Venezuelan's is TOUGH!!!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade. Congrats
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich,

Congrats on your white whale pickup.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I remember him, he played for the Giants circa 1973 or 1974. His nickname was Dommie.
  • Options
    Stadium1978Stadium1978 Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Congratulations on finding your white whale.

For no reason in particular, here's a 1974 Topps card:

• Options

<< <i>For no reason in particular, here's a 1974 Topps card: >>

Nice, did you just mock that up?

• Options
    Stadium1978Stadium1978 Posts: 173 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For no reason in particular, here's a 1974 Topps card: >>

Nice, did you just mock that up? >>

I did. I read your post, did a Google image search and when I saw that one of him in a Giants uni, I immediately thought it would look great on a 1974 Topps card. I'm never particularly impressed with the backs of cards I make, but I really like how that picture turned out on the card front.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Way to go in finding the Blanco. I don't know why that particular card seems more elusive than the rest of the red-backed Winter League set, I know you've been looking for one for quite some time. Glad you found one with a full back!
  • Options

<< <i>Way to go in finding the Blanco. I don't know why that particular card seems more elusive than the rest of the red-backed Winter League set, I know you've been looking for one for quite some time. Glad you found one with a full back! >>

Blanco is currently a popular sportscaster in Venezuela. You'd think that with his popularity, his cards wouldn't be so tough to find.