Home Precious Metals
Options

90% Silver premiums

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here in Fargo currenly paying about 21Xface for most 90% but 22.7 for Halves. Why such a bump up for halves?

Comments

• Options
    I don't usually buy 90% but for what I saw the halves have more demand, hence the higher premium.
    I would buy Kennedy's myself.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I generally buy halves, and I don't pay a premium over other 90%, so I'm not sure what the issue is where you are.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    .50-.75 per $1 face premium around here. Typically .50 for Kennedys & .75 for Franks & Walkers. You'd think it'd be the other way around looking at it from a weight perspective, but that's what it is.
    This just started about 6 months ago from my sources. One started doing it, the next thing I knew it's become standard now. Don't like it, but it is what it is.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franklins and Walkers are all 90%. Kennedys are 90%, 40% and 0% so you have to check the date.

That's probably why pre-Kennedys have a little extra premium.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I have been trading in some of my 90% for .999 10 oz. bars, 60 cents over on the 90% for 60 cents over on NTR 10 oz. bars, Since I had quite a bit of 90% I figured it would be good to get some more .999 in a smaller form.

Some of the 90% was half dollars and to a dealer in fargo so perhaps I got cheated a bit on the halves???

I have also traded in over 300 silver dollars on the .999, for decent quality I have been getting $32-33 per coin and even the poor quality ones I'm getting $28 so way over melt which to me doesn't make alot of sense.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Franklins and Walkers are all 90%. Kennedys are 90%, 40% and 0% so you have to check the date
    That's probably why pre-Kennedys have a little extra premium

lol, did you really think I didn't know that? But anyways, like I said, strictly looking at it from a weight perspective, 1964 90% Kennedys should go for more than Franks or Walkers.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>Franklins and Walkers are all 90%. Kennedys are 90%, 40% and 0% so you have to check the date
    That's probably why pre-Kennedys have a little extra premium

lol, did you really think I didn't know that? But anyways, like I said, strictly looking at it from a weight perspective, 1964 90% Kennedys should go for more than Franks or Walkers. >>

In theory yes the Kennedy halves should bring more because of more silver weight but because there is the possiblity of some 40% halves slipped in with the 90% and no semi key dates other than the Triple die obverse many people prefer walkers or frankies.