Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I have $250.00 I want to spend on one coin....

I realize that is not a large amount, but I want to do an experiment, and see where it is one year from now. I am asking here for some input as to what you think I should get. Go ahead....let's hear what you suggest!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider a going to a major show with a plan of buying a high grade World coin raw, submitting it, and see what happens

I would cast a big net and not have 250 as the final number- could be alittle less or more depending on what I see

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently bought this for $260 because I thought it was pretty darn cool. It's 33mm, 26.12 grams, and struck in the year 122. It isn't the best sestertius but it sure makes for a fun coin to play with. As for future appreciation, I haven't really tracked prices on these (they're outside my collecting focus) but I was willing to pay $400 for it. I imagine you could find something similar in large ancients:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    realize that is not a large amount, but I want to do an experiment, and see where it is one year from now.

If you're expecting to track your profits and losses over the course of the next year, best to stick with bullion. The rest of the market moves too slowly, and the buy/sell spreads on rare coins will wipe out just about any apparent one year gain.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, SE1795- that's a sweet lookin' Hadrian! image

In my collection, that would be a standout, but in yours, it's probably more like a cheapo junkbox cherrypick, eh? image

Hey, Steve- how ya been? Done any diggin' lately? We need to get together again one of these days and put the coil to the soil.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I went with a bullion proof. 1/10 oz. gold. My next shot will be a dark side coin though. Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    *disappointment* --------- Andy makes a good point though. The real short-term profits are not market gains, but rather, finding that underpriced resaleable needle in the haystack.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE