Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unknown pulled from river in Upstate NY- Silverish coin- Copy- if so of what?

Someone brought this to me today as they heard I knew coins- well I told them its not US, but am unsure of what it is- but I told them not to get hopes up- looks like possibly a cast copy - but of what? Thought someone here might recognize it ? Weight is 10 grams, diameter about 27 to 28mm. Silverish color, has seam on edge, my guess a replica someone dropped overboard from a boat or lost while swimming.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Cool! It looks like it is Spanish, but I do not have my guides in front of me. Nice find!
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Cast replica of this Heritage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I never thought to check the book for Peru. The guy was kind of excited - he works on a bridge construction crew and it came out with some dirt I guess that they dredged. I told him it looked like it broke off a necklace- someone probably lost while swimming or fishing out on river.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Cast tourist replica of a cob 8-reales piece.

I had somebody bring me one they said they found while detecting on the beaches here.

Funny how often those things seem to turn up in a context that really gets folks excited at first.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of Spanish forts along the Eastern seaboard. St. Augustine, FL is probably where Lord M's coin washed-up from ... I've been there a few times and even bought one of said souvenir tokens as a kid. I can imagine how some end up on the beach, and then, in the ocean (and then onto your beach or river basin).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE