Home Testing Forum
Options

Master index draft

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
One Thread to rule them all... One Thread to find them... One Thread to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

SWAPLIST & SALES STUFF

imageMy regular BST Forum thread.
My master "For Sale or Trade" thread. Found on both the US and World Coin Buy-Sell-Trade Forums, and often in the BST "Bargain Bin" as well.

imageeBay Stuff.
I've been on eBay since 1999, but don't use it as much these days. Only occasionally. But hey, please do have a look to see if I've got anything up.

MY STORIES

imageIndex of "Digger's Diary" and "Digs O' The Day" posts.
Adventures of an amateur treasure hunter. Mostly metal detecting, but some fossil hunting, too.

imageMy True Halloween Hellhound Horror Story.
From Fall, 2011. Semi-numismatic. Scary. Maybe this could have been YOUR coin if you'd bought one from me around that time!

ACTIVE COIN COLLECTIONS

Each of these collection threads (except the first one) also doubles as a wantlist. You'll see both what I have and what I need, and where upgrades might work.

image"Digs O' The Day" Coins. (will add link when everything gets imaged and posted)
Begun Fall, 1992. My more noteworthy metal detecting coin finds. Since this collection was mostly built in my pre-camera, pre-Internet days, it lacks pictures and is a future project. (A big future project, I might add.) Of course there ARE most of my forum-era "Digger's Diary" and "Digs O' The Day" stories, above.

imageThe Holey Gold Hat.
Begun Fall, 2000 as an accessory to the "Holey Coin Vest" collection. My signature collection, you might say. These were all holed pre-1900 world and US coins. The hat was all pre-1900 gold. In January of 2013 I decided to sell off most of the "holey" coins on the vest, but I kept the hat, since it's my "trademark", seen in my primary avatar picture. It retains mostly gold coins but I transferred a couple of my favorite nongold "keepers" from the vest when I sold that.

imageThe Victoria Hope British Empire Collection.
Begun September, 2001. A 1901 British Empire type set with coins bearing Queen Victoria's portrait. For my daughter, Victoria Hope (born 2001). As of 2011 it has become a mostly certified/slabbed collection.

imageLord Marcovan Roman Imperial Collection II.
Begun Spring, 2007, as the "Lord Marcovan Roman Imperial Collection". Broken up in late 2008. Restarted in 2011 as a smaller "Twelve Caesars" collection. The old set ran from Augustus through Zeno (37 BC to 476 AD), and was far more ambitious. It was broken up in late 2008 when I got laid off. I restarted it in 2011 as a "Twelve Caesars" collection (Julius Caesar to Domitian; 44 BC to 96 AD). I've bought some of the coins from the old collection back. This time it will be a certified/slabbed collection. As of early 2012 the partially-reassembled set is not all imaged, but should be soon.

image19th Century USA Basic Type Set.
Begun in January 2013. A basic US type set along the lines of the popular Dansco #7070 album, but omitting the 20th century types. The goal here is a reasonably well-matched VF-XF collection with as many "Circulation Cameo" coins as possible. (See below for an explanation of the "CircCam" terminology.)

RETIRED COIN COLLECTIONS

imageThe Holey Coin Vest.
Begun Fall, 2000; mostly retired in early 2013. These were holed pre-1900 world and US coins. There was also "The Holey Gold Hat" containing all pre-1900 gold. I kept that, since it's my trademark, seen in my default avatar picture. This whimsical, offbeat collection became famous because I wore it to coin shows.

imageLove Tokens.
Begun January, 2008; sold January of 2013. A natural outgrowth of my "holey" collection, those ornate, hand-engraved 19th century love tokens caught my fancy, and so I finally decided to attempt a "one-per-year" date set of Seated Liberty dimes with love token reverses. In September of 2011 I decided to do Barber dime love tokens as well, but only added a few of those. I had a lot of fun with these and did well when they were auctioned. I might revisit the love token theme again someday, but if I do, it will be a type set, most likely.

imageBarber Halves (VG-F).
Begun December, 2010, sold September 2011. I usually prefer being a type collector instead of a traditional "date and mint" collector, but on a whim, I decided to try a set of raw Barber halves in VG to Fine grades, in a Dansco album. Got pretty far, too, before I sold it.

imageWalking Liberty Halves (F-VF).
The Barber halves were fun, so starting in December 2011 I started a semi-casual set of circulated Walkers, focusing on original F-VF coins. I got a pretty good ways into it before retiring the set in July of 2012 and moving on to other things.

OTHER STUFF

imageGrading Polls.
In the fall of 2011 I started posting a GTG (or "Guess The Grade") thread for each noteworthy newp (new purchase). I've collected these here. I found these threads a fun way to showcase some of my coins, but perhaps more importantly, they've been somewhat educational, too.

imageThe Famous (or INfamous) "COIN UNO" thread.
Posted September, 2005 and still going, though not as active as it used to be. This megathread has been one of my most successful. It works sort of like the "Uno" card game. See if you can "play" the next hand with a picture of one of YOUR coins! Just read the first post and then go to the last page to see what's in play. (Some earlier images may be red-X now. People on a slower Internet connection might want to skip this one.)

imageShow us your "Circulation Cameos"!
Posted September, 2006. What's a "CircCam"? It's a circulated coin with a "cameo" appearance; in other words, darkly toned fields and lighter devices. Sort of like a cameo proof, but in this case, the cameo effect is a result of circulation, not manufacture. It's a nice look on circulated coins, particularly silver. (Some of the earlier images posted may be red-X by now, but you should be able to get the idea.)

imageSlick Vicky Contest!
Posted March, 2011. Who's got the slickest, most worn-out Queen Victoria penny or halfpenny? (Answer: RareBronzeCollector, that's who. He won this one hands-down, but feel free to keep on playing and see if you can maybe challenge him!)

imageOperation Paperclip 2012.
With the new year, I decided to try the "Red Paperclip" game (so called from the guy who bartered his way up from a red paperclip to a house in just one year). Only I'm doing it with coins, of course. I started with a $1.00 coin investment. Click the link to see how the trading has progressed over the course of the year. Who knows what I'll end up with by the end of 2012? Note that there will be a random drawing at the end- I intend to split any profits with one of the people who traded with me during the game.

imageForum Lingo Dictionary.
Though I'm a contributor, this is is NOT one of my productions- the credit here goes to Dawg144. It's a useful thread that lists common and less-common numismatic abbreviations as well as slang or popular expressions that are exclusive to these forums. For that reason, it gets my full endorsement.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.