Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Braves Pitchers of the 90's (1986 Procards)

As a big Braves fan of the 90's, I thought about putting together registry sets for the "Big 3" pitchers of the Bobby Cox era, but with all the modern sets and #'d cards post 2000, it was too daunting of a task. So, I decided instead just to get the best card of each that I could. The ironic thing is that they all come in the same set....the 1986 Procards minor league set has the first cards issued of Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, and Tom Glavine. I have been buying these for several years, but the versions below are my favorites. I just bought the Maddux this week.

Edited for grammar only.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    Very nice. Hard to believe they only won 1 WS title.

They were fun to watch and follow thats for sure.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice. Hard to believe they only won 1 WS title. >>

Since the advent of the wildcard era (and 6 divisions), there are 8 teams in the playoffs each year. I realize these were added in the middle of the run, but if a team won their division 14 times, all else being equal, you'd expect them to win somewhere between 1 and 2 World Series in the current format.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I really like the minor league cards. I have never seen these before.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards!

If I collected baseball cards I would be all over the minor league stuff. To me that seems like a very logical place to be a speculator.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Great cards! I like the flip better before BGS put the sub-grades on the front.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

<< <i>Great cards! I like the flip better before BGS put the sub-grades on the front. >>

I agree...the BGS flips look better with the subgrades on the back (old style), but if you buying/selling online, you always have to show back photos.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to find a Maddux with a signature contemporary to the release of the card. Beautiful run.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I just came across your thread. Nice centering on your cards for a tough issue to find centered. You've also seen nice price appreciation in the last year or 2.

FYI, 1986 ProCards were never issued as a complete set. They were individually packaged team sets.

Why not expand and add the 1986 ProCards Sumter Braves David Justice and Mark Lemke to your collection? Both are first cards of them and are in the same team set.
  • Options
    I agree with the 1 World Series logic. If the old two team format stayed in play, the Braves probably make it to another couple of Series. Not unreasonable that they win one more.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    That first card is very dear to me because I was standing about three feet to the right of the photographer. I was a bat boy for the Lakeland Tigers as a kid, and that was my second season with the club. The photographer had me and the other batboy holding clipboards or something. I have that set, but I wish the kid in 1986 knew what the adult in 2013 knows today, because those cards are in ragged shape.

Unfortunately there weren't any other marquee names that came through the Tigers organization during that time. Mark Lee, Kevin Ritz, Scott Aldred, and maybe a few other short-term major leaguers, but Smoltz was the one star who I worked with.
  • Options
    Smoltz seemed like a great guy. My family saw him in a restaurant in Marietta in 1990. My younger son, 14 at the time ran back in to ask for his autograph on a napkin and John apologized for the dismal year they had in 1989 (I think) and promised to do better in the coming year.
    You always remember when a sports figure is nice to your kids!! (Also when they aren't Reggie!!)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Those are nice looking cards, but why waste all that space on the bottom of the card??
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not expand and add the 1986 ProCards Sumter Braves David Justice and Mark Lemke to your collection? Both are first cards of them and are in the same team set. >>

Additionally, Ron Gant and Jeff Blauser are in the Durham set.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice cards!

If I collected baseball cards I would be all over the minor league stuff. To me that seems like a very logical place to be a speculator. >>

My thoughts exactly. With the exception of some late 70's and early 80's cards, minor league seems to get very little love if you exclude the t206 minor league cards. Most have dramatically lower print runs compared to the major league rookie cards.
  • Options

<< <i>That first card is very dear to me because I was standing about three feet to the right of the photographer. I was a bat boy for the Lakeland Tigers as a kid, and that was my second season with the club. The photographer had me and the other batboy holding clipboards or something. I have that set, but I wish the kid in 1986 knew what the adult in 2013 knows today, because those cards are in ragged shape.

Unfortunately there weren't any other marquee names that came through the Tigers organization during that time. Mark Lee, Kevin Ritz, Scott Aldred, and maybe a few other short-term major leaguers, but Smoltz was the one star who I worked with. >>

Wow! Thanks for sharing, that is a remarkable story. What a great way to spend your youth...being a ballboy for the local team. Cool.