Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins on TV again"Killing Lincoln"

It appeared to me to be Liberty seated silver dollars. After Lincoln died from the gunshot wound They placed the silver dollars on his eyes.

Comments

  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were half dollars and I believe they are now in the Chicago Historical Society.

    Yep... edited to add LINK
  • Options
    Yes thanks, after watching it again I seen they were half dollars!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>They were half dollars and I believe they are now in the Chicago Historical Society.

    Yep... edited to add LINK >>



    Yes they are. I studied them there several years ago.

    TD
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the Chicago Historical Society link:

    "I have a lock of Mr. Lincoln's hair, which I have had neatly framed; also a piece of linen with a portion of his brain"

    How morbid people are.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

    http://macrocoins.com
  • Options


    << <i>They were half dollars and I believe they are now in the Chicago Historical Society.

    Yep... edited to add LINK >>



    How could one spend them with Charon if they are not buried with you? The idea of sitting on a river dock for 150 years because of a museum....

    Eric image



  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>They were half dollars and I believe they are now in the Chicago Historical Society.

    Yep... edited to add LINK >>



    Yes they are. I studied them there several years ago.

    TD >>


    Interesting, do you remember what date and mint they were?
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Now that would be a cool pedigree to have:
    Lincoln Left Eye
    Lincoln Right Eye
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really an great link you shared and exceptionally interesting reading!
    Thank you so much for sharing this really interesting and informative link!!!

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My idiot brother, who got me started in coin collecting, got suspended from high school for jumping on Lincoln's death bed on a field trip and breaking it somehow.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>They were half dollars and I believe they are now in the Chicago Historical Society.

    Yep... edited to add LINK >>



    Yes they are. I studied them there several years ago.

    TD >>



    Curious to see what you can report about your study.

    In the meantime, I found this brief snippet - The coins from Lincolns eyes
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,261 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>My idiot brother, who got me started in coin collecting, got suspended from high school for jumping on Lincoln's death bed on a field trip and breaking it somehow. >>

    did you slap him for that move?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>They were half dollars and I believe they are now in the Chicago Historical Society.

    Yep... edited to add LINK >>



    Yes they are. I studied them there several years ago.

    TD >>


    Interesting, do you remember what date and mint they were? >>



    The coins had holes drilled in them, and were affixed as seen in that link with a black silk ribbon and sealing wax. You cannot see the reverses and the mint mark areas.

    One was an 1861. A local collector was doing an article about them, and was wondering if it might be an 1861-O. I brought along some comparison pieces, and by very carefully placing coins atop it and comparing the reeding was able to confidently opine that it was an 1861 Philadelphia.

    The other was an 1853 or 1854 with Arrows, but we did not care about the mint mark.

    TD
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file