Home Sports Talk

NASCAR: The official I hate Danica thread

I didn't say Danica 'blows it' so nothing naughty here. Danica Patrick winnng the pole for the Daytona 500 has now ruined NASCAR for me. Things are so fixed for publicity. This proves there is NOTHING real out there. I had hopes with my NASCAR being real, even after JJ taking 5, but it is over now. Daytona 500 - the biggest Super Bowl of racing, suddenly has a rookie chick win the 'pole' .

5 laps, she loses it and takes out many more. If it doesn't happen, then I am sure it would have been obvious the drivers were 'advised' to back of a bit.

Screw this NASCAR.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying "Woman driver, no survivor?"
    She did fine in Indy car. I would think NASCAR would be a walk in the park after that.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• She did win the pole at Daytona last Feb in the Busch series. She had taken pole (ha) on three different tracks during her Indycar career. Not far fetched to believe she could pull it off while on the track alone since she is a very capable driver.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Racing is a business. Sponsorship is also a for profit enterprise. She adds to both.
    To say she can't drive is ridiculous. She now has enough seat time to run with the boys.

Blane won the race...how much experience did he have?

Hopefully experienced drivers...and I'm sure they all have ...have given her advice.
    Richard Petty might say. " you have to be there at the last lap to win the race."

She'll find drafting partners and will do just fine.

I'll dissagree with ralph a tad. Indy card is about equipment, and ground effects. The driver has far less to do with results that say Sprint cup.
    Remember 'days of thunder' indy card 2x the tire and 1/2 the weight.

Dale Sr could take less of a car and take it to the front. experience and guts matter oh so much!!!!
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's got what, a 50lb weight advantage over the smallest drivers, right off the bat? This isn't the first, or last, pole she sits on....

..on the track or in the sack, zing!
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>I didn't say Danica 'blows it' so nothing naughty here. Danica Patrick winnng the pole for the Daytona 500 has now ruined NASCAR for me. Things are so fixed for publicity. This proves there is NOTHING real out there. I had hopes with my NASCAR being real, even after JJ taking 5, but it is over now. Daytona 500 - the biggest Super Bowl of racing, suddenly has a rookie chick win the 'pole' .

5 laps, she loses it and takes out many more. If it doesn't happen, then I am sure it would have been obvious the drivers were 'advised' to back of a bit.

Screw this NASCAR. >>

So what you're saying is there's no possible way a woman could ever possibly drive a car as well as a man.

She might be new to NASCAR, but she's hardly a 'rookie', she's been involved with racing for years. Indy car racing is infinitely tougher than NASCAR - which is why she's racing NASCAR now. And 'fixed' for publicity? You can't be serious? Jeff Gordon's time was literally a few hundredths of a second behind her. Are you suggesting a massive coverup in which her time was rigged to give her the #1 time? And when your wild prediction doesn't come true, you then go on to say that it's staged?

Wow.

• Something was 'missed' in pre-race inspection for Miss Danica. No, did not say a woman could never drive a car faster than a man. No, I did not say the time was rigged.

Tony is on her same team. I am saying she ain't better than Tony. Yes, I am saying something is fishy here in order to get the publicity. It's daytime talk show time for Danica and Nascar now. I bet she does screw up and takes some drivers out.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    LOL. Any other no-name driver wins it, it's hardly a topic. Danica Patrick wins it, and suddenly, there's cheating, fixing, etc.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>LOL. Any other no-name driver wins it, it's hardly a topic. Danica Patrick wins it, and suddenly, there's cheating, fixing, etc. >>

Exactly, and the only two reasons the OP could have are: (a) no way a woman can drive as fast as a man, or (b) NASCAR rigged the entire thing to have a woman win pole position. Let's ignore the fact that maybe, quite possibly, she was the best driver in qualifying?
  • yes, am ignoring that Danica was the best driver in qualifying. Cars are set up differently, and some things can get by the inspectors.
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Almost anyone can get the pole at Daytona or Talladega.

Those stock cars are harder to drive than Indy cars.

What ruined it for me for NASCAR is the racing. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And I watched a ton for around 10 years.

AMA Supercross. Now that is some racing.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Those stock cars are harder to drive than Indy cars.

You bettcha. I have heard otherweise on these boards.

So many factors in the pole.....current track temp, set-up, does the team want to invest all that time in qualifying vs race

Cheating? I highly doubt it. Teams have way to much too lose vs gained. Something to help that much would be odvious to inspectors and

the crew chief would get fined and/or banned.

The only advantage Danica has as stated before is her 50 lb weight diff can be placed anywhere it helps the card hande better vs driver's seat.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't say Danica 'blows it' so nothing naughty here. Danica Patrick winnng the pole for the Daytona 500 has now ruined NASCAR for me. Things are so fixed for publicity. This proves there is NOTHING real out there. I had hopes with my NASCAR being real, even after JJ taking 5, but it is over now. Daytona 500 - the biggest Super Bowl of racing, suddenly has a rookie chick win the 'pole' .

Screw this NASCAR. >>

Mysogonist.
  • ooooh... Mysogonist ?? no man, I dig chicks. Am sensing people here are not really racing fans or would know how Danica treated the other female drivers in Indy. She was a real witch to them. Danica is all corporate publicity now.

Danica, only two things mainly will blow the engine like you did yesterday in Nataionwide- swapping gears incorrectly, or a little extra sauce in the tank making the motor exceed it's rpm limitations. Which way are you going to go in the big race today ?

• << <i>Am sensing people here are not really racing fans or would know how Danica treated the other female drivers in Indy. She was a real witch to them. >>

No real racing fan would ever consider Milka Duno to be a race car driver.

• https://www.facebook.com/TheOfficialMilkaDunoFanPage

With Milka, it really doesn't matter if she can drive. LOOK AT HER ! check out the pictures. hahaha
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    This has to be the most boring Daytona 500 in history. Best pit crew will win today. The drivers don't matter one bit, nobody wants to go low.
  • well, Danica is holding her own. 40 laps left to screw it up.

The car changes really did eliminate to 2 car drafting. The sinlge line I don't like either but that is going to change up n a big way shotly.
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I think she drove cautious at the end, and it definately cost her.....she even mentioned not KNOWING if she would have had help from Jr. if she would've dropped to the lower line. She still sinished better than any other woman.....A historic day for her and for Nascar. Well Done!!!!
    Gotta wonder what the excuse will be now. Top 10 finish, and highest finish ever for a woman. When does nopenotyet come on and explain it away by saying the other drivers were taking it easy on her, and that NASCAR was complicit in the coverup.

• Lighten up ButterCup. Sports talkin.

• << <i>and highest finish ever for a woman. >>

Only at Daytona.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a race fan by any means but I watched almost the whole race today and was wondering. Most of the cars stayed on the top portion of the track the entire race because as the announcers were saying it was running faster, so Danica is behind Greg Bibble I believe his name is running in third position and near the end Bibble looked like he totally layed off the gas and let five cars on the lower level go ahead of him and Danica at the finish. She was stuck behind him and slowed up, I don't get it.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Why would Dale Jr. help her at the end? His teammate was winning the race! She ran a great race, and if Stewart was with Danica at the end, it would have things a lot more interesting the last 5 laps.

<< <i>Lighten up ButterCup. Sports talkin. >>

We're all still waiting for either your excuse as to why she did so well, or that, you know, she might actually be a competent driver. Which is it?
  • ButterCup, you're supposed to lighten up. Really? everyone is waiting ? I feel so important and glad I can help you flex. Danica will blow it, at the worst of times.

<< <i>Not a race fan by any means but I watched almost the whole race today and was wondering. Most of the cars stayed on the top portion of the track the entire race because as the announcers were saying it was running faster, so Danica is behind Greg Bibble I believe his name is running in third position and near the end Bibble looked like he totally layed off the gas and let five cars on the lower level go ahead of him and Danica at the finish. She was stuck behind him and slowed up, I don't get it. >>

My theory is that the accident behind them on the last lap screwed the race leader, Biffle, and Danica....I think they were actually checking up because they thought there may be a caution flag or something. It really doesn't matter....Danica and Jr. should have dropped to the lower line in front of JJ with 5 to go as soon as they both cleared JJ. JJ showed the field that the lower line could push to the front. IMHO, the spotters, and crew chiefs let down Danica and Biffle. There was just as long of a line of cars on the lower line, as there was the high line....the drivers probably can't see that like the spotters can. The draft was there on the low line at the end or JJ wouldn't have been able to push to the front like he did late in the race. Danica should have said what the heck with 5 laps to go and ducked down in front of JJ in the lower line. She would have finished better. But hindsight is 20/20.
  • Agreed. Danica and Jr. did have possibility of dropping low and taking over. One never knows though but it looked like they should have made that move. It would have p*ssed me off though if Danica finished better though. imageimage
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I can hardly wait for her to win a race and listen to all you grown men cry.

It will happen this year so get your crying towels out.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can hardly wait for her to win a race and listen to all you grown men cry.

It will happen this year so get your crying towels out. >>

and she is hot. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nopenotyet must be a surefire hit with the ladies with his misogynistic tone. And now, you 'hate' Danica? That's hilarious.

Good luck with that attitude, pal. I'm sure it will take you far.
  • he.. he loves me.. and won't leave me alone.

duh ?
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There were a lot of Danica fans there on Sunday. I admit, I wanted to see her win so I could be a part of history, but unfortunately these cars suck so much that there is no passing anymore. My driver (Smoke) left the race early so I had to root for someone else.

I had Cold Pit/Garage passes for the race, so needless to say I had a freaking blast! I'm not really a HUGE fan of NASCAR, but I like to watch sometimes when I want to catch a nice afternoon nap on a Sunday afternoon. What a great way to experience my first race! I got to walk through the garages and the pits, and walk around on the front stretch. What an incredible experience to stand on the track and imagine the cards coming at you at 190 mph.

My tickets and passes:

Danica getting inspected:

The back of Danica's head while she heads to the driver's meeting:

Garage pics:

Pit pics:

Track pics:
    Awesome pics!!!. Hope your experience was fantastic. Did anyone give you grief about taking pics anywhere there? It amazes me these days how pissy people get over a few harmless snapshots. (I guess that didn't sound good....LOL) Don't try to do that at the Rock N Roll HOF in Cleveland. Once you are inside, they are complete Nazis about pics.
  • Quadruple Awesome ! Never been to either the Daytona or Talladega tracks. It's a must to get there. Thanks for the pics !
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't you Danica haters at all worried about being on the wrong side of history? I mean if she keeps making good at NASCAR, she will no doubt be looked at the same way we look at Jackie Robinson now.

Now what we really need though, is the gender barrier to be broken in MLB; I mean girls have played in Little League for over forty years for Pete's sakes...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>Aren't you Danica haters at all worried about being on the wrong side of history? I mean if she keeps making good at NASCAR, she will no doubt be looked at the same way we look at Jackie Robinson now.

Now what we really need though, is the gender barrier to be broken in MLB; I mean girls have played in Little League for over forty years for Pete's sakes... >>

The Danica haters are woman-hating, 'get in the kitchen' folks who can't dare to comprehend that a woman could possibly drive as well as a man. Her success, in these misogynists' eyes, is due only to NASCAR tailoring the rules to her ('overlooking' something through both pre- and post-race walkthroughs), to the other drivers taking it easy on her, etc. etc.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone give you grief about taking pics anywhere there? >>

The only time someone gave grief about taking pics was when one of the cars had the hood open and I tried snapping a pic of inside the engine. Apparently that's a no-no.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    Danica is classified as a "Rookie" in Sprint Cup but it's like IRICO coming over from Japan and being classified as a rookie.

Danica and Ryan Newman drive for Tony Stewart and all three finished in the Top 5 in qualifying so I wouldn’t say the fix was in.

She should have finished higher than 8th in the 500 but her inexperience with pit stops (Trying to beat the other drives off of pit road instead of racing for the time line) made he drop a few spots.

Those were great photos. As you can see in the pictures is a little more than just turn left.
  • The latest Sports Illustrated has a fantastic shot of the engine in the fence wreck.

<< <i>Danica is classified as a "Rookie" in Sprint Cup but it's like IRICO coming over from Japan and being classified as a rookie. >>

Do you remember the big debate over whether Hideo Nomo or Chipper Jones should've been 1995 NL Rookie of the Year? Those who supported Chipper believed that Hideo spent several years playing for Japan and thus shouldn't count as a rookie. But Hideo supporters pointed out (as I remember one did in Beckett Baseball) that Jackie Robinson (you know, the guy who won the first ROY and who the award is named after?) spent several years in the Negro Leagues and by that same standard, also wasn't a "real" rookie.

While it is true that Danica did Indy cars for some time, even I know (I don't really do auto racing) that NASCAR and Indy car are two VERY different sports.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • I'd consider Danica a rookie. First full season with less than a quarter of the previous season run. Baseball and Basketball hanlde it something like that correct ? (Id' go by cards for this but too many companies claiming rookie over a 3 year period at times)
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I have nothing against Danica. I hope she does well. She brings a lot of exposure to the sport and I think she will give Dale Jr. a run for his money for Most Popular Driver honors in Cup this year.

Logan
  • When the races are on FOX, I always have to turn the volume to zero at the start of the race to avoid hearing Darrell Waltrip's totally lame 'boogity boogity' thing.

Good job today Danica. Right where you should get used to finishing.
  • If anyone can guess Danica's finish place in today's Vegas race you win this amazing prize shipped free ! Any guesses must be in by the 100th lap.

My guess is 32nd.

The immauculate prize cards ae pictured below:

• Will go with 14th for today, thanks for the contest.
    17th, in honor of me and my wife's anniversary in June. image
    WISHLIST
  • NEWMAN !!! wasn't supposed to blow an engine again this week.

Come back next week to the 'I Hate Danica' thread for more even better prizes !! This is a double or nothing thing and will keep it to this thread as I know this did offend a few folks, not intended, Will double down on the giveaway cards next week for the winner of Danica's "end of race position".

(man I was close, pure luck as I have no idea here)

good job Danica, 33rd is good for you. What happened to your Daytona Pole work ?
  • Pre72Pre72 Posts: 217
    It's back to earth for Danica. She won the pole at Daytona while holding her foot to the floor just like the other drivers, with skill tracks like Phoenix, Vegas you name it she is back to her old ways. If you want follow a woman driver, there is one with talent and it's not Danica. Johanna Long in garbage equipment on a shoestring budget had nearly as many good finishes as Danica last year in Nationwide.

Always looking for Vintage Yankees & NASCAR

Eric