Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coins of Kurdistan

I am looking to begin a collection of modern coins from Kurdistan. To whom or where shall I turn?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, no, there is a plague among us! image

I'm glad you don't have a Grim Reaper avatar.

Speaking of which, you should go to your profile and activate Private Messages in case anybody wants to contact you that way.

For some reason, the default for new members is "off".

I know nothing about Kurdistan's coins, personally, but I'd say you're in as good a place as any.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have a bi-metallic Kurdistan, if memory serves it's square too. I will find and image it ASAP. Meanwhile to answer your OP you should check eBay. I have seen full sets on a regular / semi-regular basis on eBay.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

OK, here's a raw one on eBay for $9 .... Mintage listed as 4,700. I bought one just like it on eBay last year:

I also have a 2006 "2500 Dinar" bi-metallic which is not listed (at least, not in my catalog), Cu-Brass. Here's a photo of one on eBay for sale right now... $18
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Which government in exile authorized these and which mint(s) struck them?

I've always found these kinds of issues interesting
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Which government in exile authorized these and which mint(s) struck them? >>

These were not struck by any official, semi-official or underground government-in-exile. They were struck by a private American citizen in America, without the knowledge or consent of any of the actual Kurdish rebel groups. Web searches claim the mint was the Hoffman Mint, but all the links claiming to prove this are dead; there's no mention of them on the current Hoffman Mint website, but you wouldn't expect a small private mint to advertise such "custom jobs", since the mint isn't the one selling them.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
    Allow me to explain, or clarify, as it were ... I thought the OP was looking for "modern" Kurdistan coins and the links I provided are the only modern ones of which I'm aware ... so I assumed that's what they were looking for ... I apologize if that is not what they sought. I did not claim they were from an exiled government or rebel forces, ANACS did that all on their own.

Regarding Sapyx' comment, I don't know for certain, but it's possible. If so, I would guess that they were designed by Joseph Lang, who often makes test pieces or freelance spec work for governments. He's also done micronations like Sudan Darfur, and Cabo Dahkla. BUT this article on Joel Anderson's website seems to indicate there are actually some legit modern Kurd coins out there... here's the link

edited to add: For those too lazy to click over... here's my takeaway quote, "After the First Gulf War in 1991 the Kurds in Iraq were granted a large degree of autonomy under the United Nations. They even used a different currency than the rest of Iraq, called the Swiss Dinar. Many Kurds in Iraq were expecting to gain full independence with the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003. Several overseas Kurdish groups authorized the issuance of coins for what they expected would be a new independent nation after the fall of Saddam."
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Interesting material, if anyone has additional examples please post them!