Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Copper 4 The Weekend™ ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1835 Walsh's General Store, Lansingburgh, N.Y., Low-101 / HT-218

This is the toughest of the 3 Walsh varieties on which the die sinker misspelled the name of the city.

image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 'un.

    At first I thought you meant they'd spelled NEW YORK wrong, because of the hyphen. I was overlooking "Lansinburg" (sic).

    I could be tempted down Exonumia Avenue by HTTs and CWTs and merchant tokens of those eras (and Conder tokens from across the pond, too), but I fear the days of real bargains in the Red and RB tokens may be mostly over?

    Once upon a time, probably during my YN days, I'll bet you could get some nice ones for a song. Not so much these days, I'll wager, though I'm sure there are still affordable ones to be had here and there.



    Here is last night's newp for my new 19th century VF-XF Basic Type Set.

    image

    image

    Larger obverse picture

    Larger reverse picture

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilfoils Copper. Fort Crown Point c.1765. Unique. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ambro- izzat a British Broad Arrow mark on that slug?

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC Fattie MS65RD CAC

    image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    image
    Ed
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Nice 'un. At first I thought you meant they'd spelled NEW YORK wrong, because of the hyphen. I was overlooking "Lansinburg" (sic). I could be tempted down Exonumia Avenue by HTTs and CWTs and merchant tokens of those eras (and Conder tokens from across the pond, too), but I fear the days of real bargains in the Red and RB tokens may be mostly over? Once upon a time, probably during my YN days, I'll bet you could get some nice ones for a song. Not so much these days, I'll wager, though I'm sure there are still affordable ones to be had here and there. >>



    Thanks LM... Actually during your YN days 1980-89 was the height of the market for HTT's as there were a lot of prominent majorly competitive players. The series since 2008 has been on fire but thankfully not quite nearing it's previous highs. Just last month a $500 on average R5 token sold for over $2800 at S/B which was a real head scratcher even when another of the same two weeks earlier fetched over $800 on ebay. Just last year a third same all NGC XF45 was ripped on GC for under $300.

    The Walsh I posted here although just considered Rarity-1 as per Lyman Low is only available in lower grades and has been missing from many collections. Garrett owned a VF, Dunham a Fine, Brand a XF, and Ford a Cleaned XF which was ex: F.C.C Boyd. Having researched older auction catalogs back to the 1915 this is one of the finest examples known of this variety. It was off the market for the last 20 years and I was in the right place at a show just as the negotiations finalized on a older HTT collection.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 William H. Milton, Boston, Massachusetts, HT-163 / Low-265

    Here's my other acquisition from the same older collection as the Walsh. The straight lined Milton variety without scroll ornaments and Faneuil spelled correctly on both the obverse and reverse. This is another HTT that due to it's R-1 rarity looks easy to locate on paper until you've been working with the series for a while. Difficult to not only to locate at AU or above (as only 2 other examples have been on the market in the last 4 1/2 years) but the center lettering is usually completely obliterated on both sides due to die stage or weak strikes. Here's a UNC fully struck example.

    image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post another BN Unc with that satiny look and a touch of color.

    I do believe I find them as appealing as the full Reds, now.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Post another BN Unc with that satiny look and a touch of color.

    I do believe I find them as appealing as the full Reds, now. >>



    The fields are actually fully PL on both the obverse and reverse.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    Great coppers!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpm 1
    imageimage
    image
    ddo 1
    imageimage
    image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    image
    image

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought these for the album
    image
    image
    image
    image
    image
    image
    image
    image
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

    "A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    image
    Larry

  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of Toneddollar Indian's.

    image

    image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All are very nice.image


    imageimage


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Can I sneak a brass token in? This is a Merchant token, NY-72. Pretty common and circulated. Although undated it is reportedly from the 1850's.

    image

    image

    Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    image
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

    "A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file