Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1838 RE Half variety help - reverse pic only!

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, I'm trying to figure out the variety of this 1838 RE half based solely on this reverse pic! Can anyone help out? The only obvious die cracks I see are from the left claw thru HALF to the rim. Maybe another set of eyes will see something else!

image

Comments

  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like JR-3...(same reverse die used for JR-4 but in a later die state). Check for another die crack at the top of AMERIC and bottom of STATE.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are a lot harder to attribute than lettered edge halves, obviously. Everything hubbed. You usually need really detailed images or the coin in hand.

    It looks to me like GR-12 based on the die crack between AL in HALF. But the same reverse die was used for GR-11 so it could be that. The former has a heavy crack. The latter, a finer one.

    The GR-11 is an R1. The GR-12 is an R4.
    Lance.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GR-11 = JR-3
    GR-12 = JR-4
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, Lance, so quit using that new-fangled terminology...














    either that, or I should join the the 21st century and quit using the Reiver numbers.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    I think Lance is "right on". Based on the wieght of the crack between AL and the softness of the perimeter dentils, etc, I would lean to the GR-12 side of the equation. GR-11's generally come more "crisp" and sharp with a lighter crack. I am therefore leaning to the GR-12 side ( that being JR-4 for our friend from Oklahoma ).
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Usually hard to disagree with Lance, but when HalfCollector agrees about Reeded Edge Half Dollars, one needs to believe it.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file