Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Link to report excessive eBay bid retractions

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
For you eBay sellers, if you get tired of people using the lame "Entered wrong bid amount" excuse to back out of your auctions, and you see by their bid retraction count that they have a history of doing this, you can report them via this link.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm making a note of this. I've had some buyers show over 400 retractions in a year. Yeah, another typo. Oops.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retractions cost a lot less than returns. Let them Retract away, no problem.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume they put in a really high bid just to see the highest maximum bid of the competition and then they retract their bid.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    If eBay limited retractions to one or two per month, this wouldn't be a problem. I think I've retracted one bid in 10 years (wrong amount typo).
  • Options

<< <i>Retractions cost a lot less than returns. Let them Retract away, no problem. >>

That's true in the case of an honest retraction, but if someone makes hundreds per year (and yes, they do), they aren't bidding to win, but to somehow screw with the auction. They could be trying to reveal the current high bid, or retract late and hope that maybe someone decided the auction is out of reach, and then it sells for less because that bidder doesn't come back.

I've had winners back out of the sale (justifiably so) because they bought something else once outbid, and then became high bidder after a retraction. I've had auctions look like I'm shilling because someone bids 20 times in small increments, then retracts the last bid so they don't ever become high bidder. I can't stop it from happening, but you better believe retractions affect me. That said, I do check every retraction, and if a bidder has more than a few, I block them. Now I'll get to report them, too.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Retractions cost a lot less than returns. Let them Retract away, no problem. >>

That's true in the case of an honest retraction, but if someone makes hundreds per year (and yes, they do), they aren't bidding to win, but to somehow screw with the auction. They could be trying to reveal the current high bid, or retract late and hope that maybe someone decided the auction is out of reach, and then it sells for less because that bidder doesn't come back.

I've had winners back out of the sale (justifiably so) because they bought something else once outbid, and then became high bidder after a retraction. I've had auctions look like I'm shilling because someone bids 20 times in small increments, then retracts the last bid so they don't ever become high bidder. I can't stop it from happening, but you better believe retractions affect me. That said, I do check every retraction, and if a bidder has more than a few, I block them. Now I'll get to report them, too. >>

I've had only a few retactions, but they have negatively affected me in similar ways.

you can lose future customers to people thinking you are shilling.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick misbid and a quick retraction can be a problem in that it reveals the top bidders max bid. But even more problematic is when people put in a huge bid early in a 7 day auction and then retract it a few days later after much of the potential competition has already looked and passed thinking the item was already selling for too much. I've had to pull auctions in the past because people retract their bids with only a day and a half or so left after "winning" at a huge price for a few days. Just didn't seem right.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

I've had winners back out of the sale (justifiably so) because they bought something else once outbid, and then became high bidder after a retraction. I've had auctions look like I'm shilling because someone bids 20 times in small increments, then retracts the last bid so they don't ever become high bidder. I can't stop it from happening, but you better believe retractions affect me. That said, I do check every retraction, and if a bidder has more than a few, I block them. Now I'll get to report them, too. >>

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what is the consensus on the unusual amount number?

15 in 6 months - getting a bit out of control

30 in six months - this is for sure excessive imo

anything over 30 imo is worth investigating

edited to add: thanks for the link. i report enough listings as it is but this is one that has always bugged me when i see 50+ retractions.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
    <sigh> Just got a bid retraction from someone who has 677 of them in the last 12 months. REPORTED.

If anyone wants the ebay ID so they can block them, PM me.
  • Options
    SenexSenex Posts: 483
    Retractions should only be allowed when:
    the auction has more than 1 hour to go
    the retraction is made within 5 minutes of the bid
    the bidder has no more than 3 retractions in the last 30 days

That being said, I haven't really had a problem with retractions>
    I can't recall anyone ever retracting a bid on me in over 15 years on eBay.
    But I can see the potential for abuse.
    eBay is definitely biased against sellers but then is doesn't exactly knock itself out for buyers either.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bid retractions should depend on frequency of bidding. I had one since 2001 but I am not an active buyer.

I would say anything higher than .5% of bids monthly would be considered excessive and worthy of a block and a report.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is to bad ebay has to have all the abusers like that.
  • Options

<< <i><sigh> Just got a bid retraction from someone who has 677 of them in the last 12 months. REPORTED.

If anyone wants the ebay ID so they can block them, PM me. >>

That's a record. The most I think I've seen is 382.

EDIT: Scratch that, he's got 632. Well, I got the 2 right image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks NEN for the link!! It is impossible to find on eBay!!!!
  • Options
    171 bid retractions in 6 months.

drbovitz - link

link from OP to report invalid/excessive retracting. - also block bidder list link if you so desire.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Entered wrong bid amount? Fine. eBay should make you enter the amount you meant to enter before cancelling the "erroneous" bid.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    handy link. Isn't it better to have them retract than to just not pay?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>handy link. Isn't it better to have them retract than to just not pay? >>

not to pay or return. yes

but this activity still needs to be addressed. NARU is fine with me.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually do not favor more ebay fees, but how about a bid retraction fee? This would stop it, cold turkey. Better yet an inclining fee for more retractions. Start at 50 cents for the first retraction and increase it 50 cents every time you make another retraction. By the time you get up to about 4 or 5 retractions you will get the message.
  • Options

<< <i>I usually do not favor more ebay fees, but how about a bid retraction fee? This would stop it, cold turkey. Better yet an inclining fee for more retractions. Start at 50 cents for the first retraction and increase it 50 cents every time you make another retraction. By the time you get up to about 4 or 5 retractions you will get the message. >>

sounds interesting.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold an item last week and a bidder messaged me a few hours before closing asking to cancel their bid, as some stuff came up and they were over-extended. They said they could not cancel during last 12 hours. I checked and they had about 10 bids on an item and if I cancelled all of their bids, it would have dropped back to opening bid. I messaged them saying I would cancel if they ended up winning. They were sniped away.

I was bidding on an item a few days ago, and a slow incremental bidder decided to extend to see what the current high bidder was at. They cancelled a couple of bids after determining what the current high max bid was - eBay should stop stuff like this.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 7:11AM

@PerryHall said:
    I assume they put in a really high bid just to see the highest maximum bid of the competition and then they retract their bid.

I had one do that, they were the high bidder and after a small $200.00 rise they retracted. I decided not to punish As I still wanted them to bid to try and get as much as I could. Even though they now knew the other bidders high bid . It ended up rising anoth 40% but I do not believe they came back. So I guess they must of decided to move on.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let them retract it - I don’t want hassle of return. If something I bidding on - less competition, yea!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Let them retract it - I don’t want hassle of return. If something I bidding on - less competition, yea!

Let them retreat and go away, yes, but don’t forget that if real buyers see this kind of activity on your items, they may think you’re behind it. I block these guys to protect my reputation. They can harm it and also totally screw up a sale. Sometimes both.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 7:09PM

I’ve seen an unusual number of bid retractions this year. Not sure if it’s a sign of the mobile age and really typing in the wrong amount or something else.

I do track names of bidders and block them if more than 2 in a month. I just think it looks really fishy, as a buyer, to see bid cancellations.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 7:53PM

What are the chances that I see this thread and run into one the same day?
    I'm the bidder on an item (not the seller). I put in my bid and then ran into a person with these details:

30-Day Summary
    Total bids: 1031
    Items bid on: 388
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: 3%
    Bid retractions: 81
    Bid retractions (6 months): 938

The bid they put in and retracted:
    Retracted:$14,000.00

Since I'm only a bidder and not the seller, I don't know the user id.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file