Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Uncanceled stamps

I just got an ebay coin in the mail today. The seller used 39 older 8 cent stamps to mail it. None of them were canceled. I also get a monthly coin price list from two different dealers that also use the older stamps. They are never canceled. Is there a reason for this? Does this happen to others here?

Comments

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens all the time.

    I can't speak for others, but I find that when I buy a collection, many times the seller
    has stamps they want to sell as well. Usually blocks, sheets, etc of the most common
    lower denominations. I buy them of 80% of face and use them to mail packages.

    If they don't want to sell at the reduced price then they can just use them.

    bobimage

    Edited: the PO is too lazy to cancel them.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome you got some free postage! Soak em off six to a letter couldn't be finer!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭
    Once in a while when a seller uses a large number of small denomination stamps (new or old), they're not cancelled. I suspect it's because they would have to do it by hand, and it's easier if they don't bother.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are (or used to be) dealers that sell bulk old stock postage at a discount. I think some of this is subsidized stuff from the UN post office or something like that. Maybe some one who knows will chime in. Some New York dealers used to almost wrap packages in low denomination stamps.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭
    What effect do unused postage stamps have on the Post Office's
    account books? Do they accrue like a postal variety of seigniorage?

    All those uncanceled stamps dating from the 1940s (or before) to
    the 1970s (and beyond). . . . they were purchased at face value,
    but they were never transformed into human labor (sorting,
    delivering, etc.) or mechanical labor (shipping, machine-sorting, etc.).



  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You can buy old unused stamps for less than face value. If it wasn't for the effort required to plaster a package or envelope with a boatload of stamps (none of which are self-stick) I think more people would use them.

    New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I got that Seated dollar today, the entire back of the envelope was papered with old stamps, some of which were canceled and some weren't. Inside was a flyer from the dealer with a coin pricelist. I noticed they also sold blocks and plates of older 22- 25- 29- and 33-cent stamps for 95% face, to be used as postage. I got a lot of these one time, and it even included older 3c stamps going back to 1935. It was a fun way to buy some usable postage stamps below face. (The really old stamps I had to use a glue stick on, to attach them to the envelope, as the gumming was long gone).

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Many years ago, I would buy unused postage for 80% of face, and use it to buy colored gemstones at 100%.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a file folder 2" thick of plate blocks from the 60's and 70's - since most payments are auto-pay these days, I'm thinking they are going to last the rest of my life! image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Awesome you got some free postage! Soak em off six to a letter couldn't be finer! >>


    Technically this is illegal. I'll try to find the reference.

    DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

    CU #3245 B.N.A. #428


    Don
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Awesome you got some free postage! Soak em off six to a letter couldn't be finer! >>


    Technically this is illegal. I'll try to find the reference. >>




    The USPS has technology that can detect if (what appears to be) an uncanceled stamp has been through
    its machinery.

    Sounds like tinfoil-hat paranoia, but I'm positive I read about that somewhere.


  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Awesome you got some free postage! Soak em off six to a letter couldn't be finer! >>


    Technically this is illegal. I'll try to find the reference. >>




    The USPS has technology that can detect if (what appears to be) an uncanceled stamp has been through
    its machinery.

    Sounds like tinfoil-hat paranoia, but I'm positive I read about that somewhere. >>



    Well, I guess I'm on their hitlist, then. image

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535 ✭
    I seem to get a fair amount of mail with not obviously cancelled stamps - I always cut them off and save them for "recycling". I've successfully recycled uncancelled self-stick stamps several times in the past several years.

    In fact, I mailed a package just yesterday using recycled stamps - I'll let you know if it gets sent back.

    There's a coin dealer at a small monthly show nearby who offers old stamps at 80% of face - he doesn't seem to get many takers, though.

    Check out the Southern Gold Society

  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
    It is illegal. Even if the USPS cannot prove it, it is stealing, so why take the risk? If you do the math and calculate the time expended to take off the stamps and then apply them to a new package, you will find that it is less expensive to just purchase legal postage.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These stamps may be old but they were never used and they are still good for postage. Don't forget that stamp collecting used to be extremely popular and many people would buy dozens or even hundreds of sheets of each new issue of stamp and then put them away as an investment. Didn't work out that way and people got tired of storing them. When they sold them they were lucky to get 80% of face value. They usually get less and the Post Office won't buy unused stamps back.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,329 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Awesome you got some free postage! Soak em off six to a letter couldn't be finer! >>

    lmao, the system works image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file