Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Pictures for Set Registries

Looking thru some of the registry sets, I see pictures that are all the same type. My sets have pictures from auction sites, ebay, etc. I have some showing the slab, some close ups, some smaller pictures. I just think it looks really professional to have pictures all the same size, with both front and back pictures, are these pictures taken by PCGS or do people send their coins off to have them professional taken. Do I need to send all my coins to PCGS for pictures. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer

Comments

• Options
    There are few great looking sets with all True View pictures from PCGS. But that would very costly if you have a large set.
    It's a lot of work but I would buy a nice camera stand, camera and take your own pictures. It’s a hobby in itself. I have been working at it for quite some time now and it is challenging to take a nice picture of my coins. But also a lot of fun.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>take your own pictures. It’s a hobby in itself. >>

And a brutal hobby at that! Seriously though, weighing the cost of having your coins professionally photographed, it would not take that many, say 50 coins or so, to justify spending $500 or so on a setup that will get you 90% of the way there. The last 10% will run you about another $1500, and another 6 months of intensive study, but that's how it goes with most hobbies.

As to how you can go about getting a setup for $500, I have no idea, but there are several threads over on the US Coin Forum that cover this exact thing, and I've seen that figure bandied about.

Cheers!
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the make or break issue is ... do your coins tend to be colorfully toned or mint fresh?

For colorfully toned coins it's difficult to approach the color and pop of PCGS TrueView photos since they are shot out of the slab.
    So for those I would send them to PCGS for TrueViews and Reholdering (cost is $10 (photo) + $12 (reholder) per coin)

For regular un-toned coins, it's much easier to make a high quality composite photo with your own equipment through the slab plastic, since you can shoot the coin straight down and glare is not as much of an issue.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>take your own pictures. It’s a hobby in itself. >>

And a brutal hobby at that! Seriously though, weighing the cost of having your coins professionally photographed, it would not take that many, say 50 coins or so, to justify spending $500 or so on a setup that will get you 90% of the way there. The last 10% will run you about another $1500, and another 6 months of intensive study, but that's how it goes with most hobbies.

As to how you can go about getting a setup for $500, I have no idea, but there are several threads over on the US Coin Forum that cover this exact thing, and I've seen that figure bandied about.

Cheers! >>

Compare that to the cost of TrueViews plus shipping and insurance and your own setup may be cheaper, depending on the size of your collection.

I bought a DSLR on the BST and use a tripod and two gooseneck lights. I use a free program called Photoscape to edit the shots. I think I do ok in general as you can see from my sets in my sig line. Granted, I'm not perfect but it is fun to do and I consider it an extension of the hobby.

JH
  • Options
    Eagleguy,

Great job on your pictures.
    I know how hard it is to capture luster and color when shooting though the plastic.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagleguy,

I also like the photos of your commem set, especially the way you captured the colors on the Grant and Missouri. Many other fine coins/photos as well.

Good job!

Smallchange, you can get good photos with a modest investment in a DSLR camera, lighting, and a tripod or copy stand. It takes a lot of experimentation; I've found that getting the lighting right is the most difficult part of it. It can be a lot of work, but it's also rewarding when you get good photos.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    I take all my pictures myself.. with a few freebees added by PCGS.. I just take them at my desk with a Canon XTI.. Usually snap off two of each picture and pic the best of the two images. I have used a tripod on occasion but usually free hand it. One of these days I'll buy a macro lens and get much better results although I am generally happy with my images.

Mark's Morgan 7TF Set
  • Options
    There is much unsatisified need and a home/garage business opportunity here for someone who enjoys coins.
    Casimir61
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats why there are professionals in the business....

Link