Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Advice on how to remove PVC from OLD bronze medals...

without mucking the patina. TIA!
Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Acetone and a q-tip will do wonders!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your problem is a light film of PVC, acetone is the way to go. However, if there is quite a bit of gunk, a product called Blue Ribbon has been discussed in this Forum, in the past. There are various pros and cons.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Acetone is my choice also.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I've known medal dealers that use and swear by
    MS70. Use as directions say then rise off.
    do not use on red/red brown copper or you will get a purplish hue.
    Works best on old totally brown copper.
    Try on some old brown wheatback cents first to see if you like the results and get practiced
    on technique of rolling on and rolling off with a cotton q-tip before rinse.

Acetone works too, but I like MS70 better, its a surfacant cleaner.

Krueger
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Acetone or common lighter fluid will not impact the toning/patina, unlike MS-70 or similar products.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    lighter fluid? geez I need to start compiling a list ... LOL are you guys numismatists or chemists? image

PS: I'd love to hear the story about the guy (or gal) who discovered lighter fluid as a cleaner ... "Well, we were camping up near Dahlonega and Jim was tryin to start the fire. Meanwhile I was showing Timmy some of my NEWPs when all o' the sudden... "

imageimageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE