Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP GTG: 1874-H Canada 5 cents Crosslet 4 *grade revealed*

My pics followed by the True View pics.

Grade: MS-63. PCGS SP holder.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Genuine - Whizzed
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Your pics are better than the trueview. MS64?
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a snowball's chance in hades it's whizzed.

I'm having a real difficult time grading this.

Could be as low as an au58 or as high as an ms64.

Tough one.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the grade.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin MS65
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look very nice

I would guess 62-63
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narrow large date
    repunched 1/1
    repunched 8/8
    sloping thick pointed 7
    crosslet 4

my guess at the grade: MS63
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not whizzed or whatever...and personally I like the trueview/pcgs pics which depicts nice eye appeal overall - looks MS62 ..I like it ...nice pickup Pokerman you da dude!

edited to add; I mean THIS particular true-view photo .. not all of them all the time
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Fancy 4! Never seen that before

There has been some really nice Canadians on here lately
  • Options
    AU
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Just like your name to know when to show us. I've got patience.
    Paul
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going 63 on this. Hair and brow, etc. look pretty good.

That having been said, the usual disclosure that I don't collect Canadian...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Some interesting opinions so far image Everything from whizzed to AU to MS65. I won't reveal the grade quite yet but will give some more input:

PCGS and I agree that it isn't whizzed.
    There are some hairlines on the coin. A tiny amount between the E and 5 on the reverse, a moderate amount on the obverse on the cheek, neck and in front of Victoria's face.
    The vertical lines on the reverse below CENTS and the date are die polish lines.
    The lustre is a bit better than the images suggest for the reverse. And a lot better than the obverse pictures suggest. There are areas where the lustre is muted a bit, but for the most part there is lustre even on the highest points (eg face/cheek)
    There is a bit of flatness on the very highest braid and/or hair above/in front of the ear. This may or may not be how it was initially struck.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    I see just a bit of wear on the eye brow, the hair in the bun, the tuft going back to the ear, and on the knot of the bow on the Reverse. I'd say 58, but I'm not that great on silver ... just bronze, and I'm not heavy into bright and shiny's. I'm an XF+ and AU guy for all my collection, because I want them minimally circulated .. the history and people who used/spent them before is close to my collecting heart.
  • Options
    This post is not an issue about which coin is the better grade. It does not matter for the purpose of this post.
    What I am trying to show is the difference in grades between TPG's.
    I am going to take this whole post a step further by posting Pokerdudes pictures next to mine. (Hope you do not crucify me for copying your images. I do respect copyrights)

Same coin, same year, same type..... BUT a different TPG and , I am sure, a different grade... I assume much different!
    also, please consider in your evaluations that my coin was originally scanned before it was slabbed. Not a photograph.
    Back then, my scanning skills were on the low ladder end.
    Any and all comments on grades etc or anything else are much appreciated and welcome.

here they are...
  • Options
    YQQ.....yours is a perfect example why I don't like grading from a scanned image.

There is little 'realism' or 'depth' to your coin's image and personally, I stay away from grading scanned images.

As a result, I'm not sure if yours is better or worse than the OP's coin.

Too bad, because your coin could have added a great sidebar to this thread.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    Agreed, scans generally make it very hard to judge a coin. Especially the lustre. YQQ's example seems to be lacking lustre on both sides leading me to think it's in the AU55-58 range.

The coin in the OP is MS-63 PCGS SP. I think it is accurate. But I am not all that familiar with the nuances of grading small, high-end Victorian silver pieces.

There is just too much lustre left everywhere (even the high points) to call it AU58, IMO. I'd call it a case of "cabinet friction" which is usually associated with larger MS coins getting a minute amount of "wear" from sliding a coin in and out of a paper envelope over and over again over the years.
  • Options
    It looks very acceptable as an ms63.

Nice coin!

• Options
    EAGLE, it was never meant to be a contest by me posting this. i thought i made that clear in my post. And scanning is out for me for some time now.
    Pokerman, is the coin actually MS or SP graded??? which one is it???
    I would be surprised if it would be SP (Specimen), valued at $ 2500 list. But if they say so... good for you.
    I wanted to demo the differences between TPGs. and I think it worked to some extend, I hope. i think the demo worked because you guys reacted and made comments.
    actually I was hoping the PMD would not reveal his grade so soon. Next time I will PM him.
    Maybe we , or one of you guys, should start a side bar post about it with others also showing samples.
    Poker dude is right.. as usual. My coin is ICCS AU 58, graded about 5+ years ago.
    It is time to relief the coin from its jail and take new pictures and send it to someone else for grading, as i will sell the coin sometimes in the near future. ( have a better one) and it will sell better graded.
    grading... I sure hate to send it ( and others similar) to our host because of the prohibitive costs.
    Now, there is the big question: where will it sell best??? Canada or the US?? ICCS - CCCS(hard slab) or OCGS? Private or auction or, Feebay?
    I know the question is not fair.. but.. it has to be asked.
    thanks guys.. it was fun..
    perhaps someone will do another new post about grading?
  • Options
    I felt it was time to reveal the grade since a good portion of the active Canadian collectors and other posters on this board had chimed in. Thanks everyone!

YQQ: It's a business strike, MS-63. By PCGS SP I meant Secure Plus. But that does remind me that I need to take some pictures with my new camera of a nicely toned specimen 1937 50c I picked up a while ago image
  • Options
    Very nice coin - be proud to own it. Very conservative on the 63 grade, it has that mid-choice unc "63" look to it. However, low Amt. of hits - ATS may have 64'd it.

Great coin to own.
  • Options

<< <i> ATS may have 64'd it. >>

who is ATS????
    ok, so they , who ever they are, may have given it a 64,
    ANACS maybe a 65, also ICG,
    NGC probably a 64...
    and, ICCS may have done a 62, maybe not??
    and CCCS maybe a 62, most likely a 60
    Everyone get my point?
    everyone has different perceptions...
    in Europe it is an advantage NOT to have it graded...
    guess why?image
  • Options
    Ngc. "Accoss the street"
  • Options
    Yes, YQQ, grading is somewhat subjective. But you'll notice that the majority vote on the grade of my coin was actually dead on. So it's not as much of a crapshoot as you make it out to be image

BTW re: your AU-58 graded coin. Why crack (or cut, in the case of ICCS holders) and resubmit? ICCS holders can be a bit difficult to take good pictures through, so I get that. But I can't see yours getting into an MS holder. It's still nice, just not Unc. I have plenty of AU graded coins that I like the look of more than my MS60-62 and sometimes even MS63 coins.
  • Options
    I'm sticking with "Genuine - Whizzed", or maybe a light buff with jewelers rouge back in the 1920s. image
  • Options
    Pokerman, I have the coin in hand, in a ICCS coffin..
    I know what it looks like....and it will come out...
    taking a regular image is worth the re-submitting cost.
    will post images when it comes ou and before it goes away...
  • Options
    Mc crimmon... NOT !!!!!!! whizzed
    I can post a story about whizzed coins, 14K worth of them by a Canadian Auctioneer...
    any interest??? But I will name names..., as it is fact!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice piece. Dunno why I didn't open this thread until now.

And man, coinpictures is right... your pictures are actually better than the TrueViews! High praise indeed. image

I want a 1901 fishscale that looks like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Mc crimmon... NOT !!!!!!! whizzed
    I can post a story about whizzed coins, 14K worth of them by a Canadian Auctioneer...
    any interest??? But I will name names..., as it is fact! >>

YQQ, that's my new GTG guess for anything.....................unless of course, someone offers a cash giveaway for most grades matching the TPGs. imageimage
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My pics followed by the True View pics.

Grade: MS-63. PCGS SP holder. >>

Nice coin. I too prefer your set of pictures, but the second set that you posted is not TrueView. It's the complimentary image that PCGS provides to every Secure Plus holdered coin. I don't think that the photographer is the same either. TrueView pictures have a lot more detail and color, and they come in a frame with the logo of the company and the cert number.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3