Home Sports Talk

Bowl Ban and Loss of Scholarships for Alabama?

jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
This sounds much worse than some tattoos... RACK 'EM!!

Comments

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    A bright future with the Raiders or Eagles ahead...
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Nothing is going to happen to Alabama - they're in the precious SEC, the conference which is babied and coddled by everyone from the NCAA to the networks.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to see here. Just standard operating procedure in the SEC.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With as many young people on teams as there are it is inevitible that some will fail to meet the high standards set for them. Give Alabama credit. They took action. I expect these guys will not be allowed back on the team unless they apologize and are top notch players.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With as many young people on teams as there are it is inevitible that some will fail to meet the high standards set for them. Give Alabama credit. They took action. I expect these guys will not be allowed back on the team unless they apologize and are top notch players. >>

They were kicked off the team and banned from campus almost immediately. What else do you want the school to do?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

<< <i>

<< <i>With as many young people on teams as there are it is inevitible that some will fail to meet the high standards set for them. Give Alabama credit. They took action. I expect these guys will not be allowed back on the team unless they apologize and are top notch players. >>

They were kicked off the team and banned from campus almost immediately. What else do you want the school to do? >>

Other teams have acted after the fact as well, but that didn't preclude the NCAA from punishing the schools. Yes, it's admirable that they acted to punish those involved, but I feel many will call the NCAA hypocrites if there's no sanctions implemented against Alabama.

<< <i>

<< <i>

They were kicked off the team and banned from campus almost immediately. What else do you want the school to do? >>

Other teams have acted after the fact as well, but that didn't preclude the NCAA from punishing the schools. Yes, it's admirable that they acted to punish those involved, but I feel many will call the NCAA hypocrites if there's no sanctions implemented against Alabama. >>

Hmmmm.... that's an interesting perspective. So you're saying that you think the SCHOOL should be punished because of.......I'm assuming a lack of institutional control? Is there a consistent track record at the school under Saban where theft or fighting is routine? When I read the article about these 4 players, I was thinking that this DIDNT seem normal at all for Saban's team since he's been there in '07.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

<< <i>
    Hmmmm.... that's an interesting perspective. So you're saying that you think the SCHOOL should be punished because of.......I'm assuming a lack of institutional control? Is there a consistent track record at the school under Saban where theft or fighting is routine? When I read the article about these 4 players, I was thinking that this DIDNT seem normal at all for Saban's team since he's been there in '07. >>

I don't think the school should be punished for things like this that the kids do that the university can't reasonably be held responsible for. I don't think USC should have been penalized for what Reggie Bush did. I don't think Ohio State should have been penalized for what Pryor and the others did. It's ridiculous to me, at least, to punish a school and current players for the act of a couple of bad apples.

It just seems to me that if the NCAA is going to cite 'lack of institutional control' in cases like USC and OSU, then the same should apply here. However, consistency has never been a strong suit of the NCAA, and there will be no sanctions implemented against Alabama.

Let's see if the NCAA is as generous for teams outside the SEC the next time it happens.

<< <i>

It just seems to me that if the NCAA is going to cite 'lack of institutional control' in cases like USC and OSU, then the same should apply here. However, consistency has never been a strong suit of the NCAA, and there will be no sanctions implemented against Alabama.

Let's see if the NCAA is as generous for teams outside the SEC the next time it happens. >>

>>

Very big difference between Ohio State and Alabama-- At Ohio State the Head Coach attempted to cover up the story and also blatently lied on compliance forms that he provided to the NCAA. Meanwhile, no coach or administrator at Alabama has been accused of any wrong doing whatsoever.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing is going to happen to Alabama - they're in the precious SEC, the conference which is babied and coddled by everyone from the NCAA to the networks. >>

+1
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Can someone please explain what more Alabama and Coach Saban could have done? It's not like you can babysit 100 18 - 22 year old men.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    IMO, nothing should happen to U of A for this.

I have been somewhat amused though at the lack of press coverage of this after watching what Notre Dame and Manti endured over a fake girlfriend. I think the girlfriend hoax got more coverage than the resignation of the pontiff.

In my neck of the woods (just South of Dallas), you have to go looking to find almost anyone that's even somewhat familiar with the allegations against these "adults" from U of A.

Buying US Presidential autographs

<< <i>IMO, nothing should happen to U of A for this.

I have been somewhat amused though at the lack of press coverage of this after watching what Notre Dame and Manti endured over a fake girlfriend. I think the girlfriend hoax got more coverage than the resignation of the pontiff.

In my neck of the woods (just South of Dallas), you have to go looking to find almost anyone that's even somewhat familiar with the allegations against these "adults" from U of A. >>

I agree with the intentional lack of press of coverage and I'll include both cnnsi.com and espn in that category. In the same week that this story broke, cnnsi.com had a front page story about how Alec Ogletree (former UGA linebacker) had gotten a DUI. How is that a front page story, but I had to scroll to the bottom of the sports section to find a story about Alabama players who had beaten 2 different students unconcious, stolen things, used a credit card fradulently, and 1 had gun charge? Although I don't think the school has responsibility for this at ALL, I do think it is odd (perhaps suspicious) how ESPN and others are under-reporting the story.

<< <i>
    I agree with the intentional lack of press of coverage and I'll include both cnnsi.com and espn in that category. In the same week that this story broke, cnnsi.com had a front page story about how Alec Ogletree (former UGA linebacker) had gotten a DUI. How is that a front page story, but I had to scroll to the bottom of the sports section to find a story about Alabama players who had beaten 2 different students unconcious, stolen things, used a credit card fradulently, and 1 had gun charge? Although I don't think the school has responsibility for this at ALL, I do think it is odd (perhaps suspicious) how ESPN and others are under-reporting the story. >>

The schools and sports that ESPN are partnered with have long held a special place of non-reporting. Remember when Big Ben was busted and accused of raping that girl? It wasn't on ESPN for days after. The SEC and ESPN are partners, so of course the SEC gets special treatment in their news coverage. Just one of many reasons I stopped watching ESPN a long time ago.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it that kids on scholorship and some on full rides stoop to this kind of crap? Have they been made to feel above the law or was it the environment they were brought up in?

<< <i>

The schools and sports that ESPN are partnered with have long held a special place of non-reporting. Remember when Big Ben was busted and accused of raping that girl? It wasn't on ESPN for days after. The SEC and ESPN are partners, so of course the SEC gets special treatment in their news coverage. Just one of many reasons I stopped watching ESPN a long time ago. >>

Big Ben went to Miami of Ohio, not any SEC school.

<< <i>

<< <i>

The schools and sports that ESPN are partnered with have long held a special place of non-reporting. Remember when Big Ben was busted and accused of raping that girl? It wasn't on ESPN for days after. The SEC and ESPN are partners, so of course the SEC gets special treatment in their news coverage. Just one of many reasons I stopped watching ESPN a long time ago. >>

Big Ben went to Miami of Ohio, not any SEC school. >>

I know, I should have been clearer in equating ESPN's partnership with the NFL. My mistake.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    PAROLE TIDE !!!! image Just a matter of time.

<< <i>PAROLE TIDE !!!! image Just a matter of time. >>

Just of matter of time for what?

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just of matter of time for what? >>

Let it play out. We will see. PAROLE Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just of matter of time for what? >>

Let it play out. We will see. PAROLE Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Let what play out? The school kicked the kids off campus and shortly thereafter the coach dismissed them from the team. What else do you think is going to happen?

• GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    They used a credit card they stole for some items from the snack machine.....really, you steal somebody's credit card to buy chips ahoy and mountain dew...wow
    Nathan Wagner