Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know what kind of coin this is?

Pretty sure it is Chinese. Rather large coin. Thank you, Dan.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Chinese. Arabic.

Ottoman Empire, probably from Turkey. 19th century.

I'll let someone else take it from there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Zohar is correct. I was only partially right.

I got the Ottoman Empire part right, but it is indeed Egyptian and not Turkish.

Big silver dollar sized coin, correct?

It appears to be an Egyptian 20-qirsh piece. I was close on the 19th century guess, but it is in fact from the first few years of the 20th century.

The date is AH 1293 (1876 AD). That would indicate the beginning of the reign of Sultan Abdul Hamid II. But the actual regnal year is 31, so the coin was struck in 1905 AD. Note the "H" mintmark which indicates it was struck at the Heaton mint in Birmingham, England. The mintage was 250,000.

The coin was struck in .835 fine silver with a bullion weight of .7499 oz. It is KM#296 in my 36th edition (2008) Krause, which lists the values at $12.00 Fine (below melt nowadays), $55.00 VF, etc. I'd say that is a VG at best. So probably worth melt.

I was too lazy to leaf through the book until now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wow Guys, Thank you so much! I appreciate it. It`s tough when there is nothing on the coin you can read. (in english). Thanks again,
    Dan image
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>If I am not mistaken, I believe it is year 30 (1904). >>

I stand corrected again.

So it is.

Can you tell Arabic stuff is not my forte? image