Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counter-stamped half-cent?


In a previous thread, slimdog noted: “The large cent is counter stamped. There are several collectors of counter stamped coins. If the counter stamp is from a known person it may have additional value.”

Looking for any info/ opinions on this half-cent. Sorry for the very weak pics – just could not seem to capture this one…


image

image





Photo redemption attempt: Since the above pictures are so poor – just wanted to throw-in a better quality random pic that’s a bit more eye-appealing. (Plus I’m testing a new camera.) This Jefferson was in a paper coin-roll I didn’t previously photograph.



image

image

image

Comments

  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I've seen a CW counterstamp before, but I believe it is a different stamp from this one. I suspect this is what people in the field refer to as a Maverick counterstamp. Meaning that it's unique and not a part of an advertising effort. This was probably done for fun, or as a test punch. It's likely made from individual punches since they are irregularly spaced, which lends evidence to the idea that it was just a one time thing. In this case the counterstamp likely doesn't add a whole lot of value to the coin, and could possibly detract from the value of a problem free piece of the same grade. You never know until you put it in a real auction format

    Hope it's helpful.

  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    BTW, the W was probably punched first, then the "dot" between the two letters, then the C. You can tell by how the punches affected each other.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a wonderfully-crisp 1938-D. Was the roll previously unopened OBW (original bank-wrapped)? Unopened rolls of that vintage are scarce and desirable, but in your case, unsearched is as good as unopened. Hope you find some real gems in there!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Darth5ohDarth5oh Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

    Billet – Very interesting! I see what you mean how it looks like the letters were stamped individually, including the dot. It would seem in this case, much of the value is lost on what could have been a decent coin. image Thanks for the info !


    Jmski – No, it wasn’t an unopened roll. But I remember seeing hundreds of rolls (in several boxes) in my grandfather’s closet when I was young. He used to pick-up/buy rolls at the bank when he ran his errands. Unfortunately, I believe much of it was taken after my grandmother died, as my grandfather occasionally had outside “help” come-in as he got older. I think I’ve seen a dozen or so “nice” ’38 Jefferson’s. I bet he stashed plenty of those since it was the first year in mint…
    image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>BTW, the W was probably punched first, then the "dot" between the two letters, then the C. You can tell by how the punches affected each other. >>




    great observation, thanks
    Frank

    BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file