Home Sports Talk
Options

IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics

jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
This is terrible news... they keep race-walking, table tennis, trampolining, synchronized swimming, but get rid of one of the most pure and original sports in the Olympics?? Ridiculous...

Yahoo News

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, my facebook is blowing up with all different reactions to this news.........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    ýRan across this today.... on my FB

'It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.'
    Theodore Roosevelt
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Wow ... that is a shame. Been in every modern day Olympics since 1896!

Just took this from an article I read on the Internet:
    It's also difficult to estimate just how big of an impact this decision will have on the sport at the high school and college levels. The prospect of an Olympic gold medal has been the ultimate goal for so many wrestlers getting into and sticking with the sport and again, it's hard to imagine the IOC just took that prize away when no one saw it coming.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ahahahaha!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They dropped it for golf? Double shame. I will miss the Sheik. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    They should do what ever is most profitable. The vast majority of people whining about it weren't giving it much support
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    This is pretty sad . There are given reasons for decisions like this , that make a portion of society gleeful . There are the real reasons , for those that see . With history constantly going through reinterpretation , I'm sure this will be seen as somehow good for society .

This is a great sport that requires great strength and great brains too . Being an ex-wrestler of 5-1/2 years , this was one of my favorite events to follow and watch . This is not a bitter pill for me , but mostly sadness , for something that will be missed .----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    The final decsision has not been made. just reccomended.
    I think wrestling is a major part of the olympics.

For some sports like wrestling where there is very little money to be made...professionally or otherwise...the gold olympic medal is all
    the athletes have to motivate them for a lifetime of training. Once that is gone.....????????????
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Well parents Your sons can Play football, basketball, or baseball...sure those sports all haveathletes making millions, as im sure your son probably has a chance to as well...BUT what he could do thatd be even more exciting is wear absolutely no protection for his body in a full contact sport with concussions, broken bones and all that jazz...and of course hes going to need to starve himself over those 6 pounds he needs to lose the night before every match!!! Just let your sons risk injury for a sport most colleges wont even fund in just a few years!!! Awesome deal right! Good luck all you wrestling coaches, i can feel for ya having wrestled 3 years in high school to stay in football shape, its tough and the recruitment process just got a wholeeeeee lot tougher
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i> And would the MLBPAA even have allowed Roger Clements and Barry Bonds or any of their players to be tested in the Olympic way DURING the Olympics? That itself is doubtful. >>

Are NBA players subject to the same WADA and USADA random testing as other athletes with Olympic potential?

If so, suprising none have been busted for weed. If not, why?