Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1967 Canada PL set

Hi all, does anyone have one of these sets with the certificate with the metal compositions from the RCM?

I am wondering what the composition of the 10 cents is, is it 80% or 50% silver?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple 1967 PL sets in original packaging. The certificate does not mention the metallic compositions of the coins, but I'm sure they are 80% silver. The 50% silver coins weren't released until the last few months of the year, IIRC.

The certificate states, in both English and French:

"Your uncirculated coins have been carefully selected and are the best available at the time of shipment. The sealed plastic package is designed to delay tarnishing or discolouration. However, tarnishing may occur despite every precaution. The Mint cannot undertake to exchange coins or make refunds."

This message is very similar to that enclosed in US proof sets from 1955 to 1964.

Jim

Edited for the usual spelling error.
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also thought the PL sets came with .800 silver coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, in 1967, only the dimes and quarters were made with both 50% and 80% silver content. ALL of the halves and dollars were 80%.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for responding!

So it seems the 10c are most likely 80% silver, but no way to tell for sure?

Does anyone know of other sources that may state the composition?
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    The 1967 dollars and halves are all 80% silver.

In PL sets I have heard that the 10c/25c were all minted at the start of the year on 80% planchets, but I don't know for sure.

Business strike 10c/25c 1967 coins were minted in about equal numbers of 80% and 50% planchets. There is no reliable way to tell them apart by weight/sound/look/etc.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    No reliable way yet!

This is what I'm looking into, but I need more coins and some reference coins.

I may have to use some 80% silver dimes from earlier, but same year strikes, the ones from the sets are preferable
  • Options
    I have a few, they are nice sets
  • Options
    It is a nice set of coins!

I find the 2 metal compositions for the same coin interesting and the puzzle of differentiating them
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Here is mine image

I have the dollar too - in top pop! - but not imaged *yet* image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nice toner!

If anybody has some 10c in the pliofilm from the PL mint sets laying around let me know!
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and then, there are some 25 cent 1967 in NICKEL !!!!!!!!!!
    yes Nickel!!! I believe 4 only known... so far.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nice toner! >>

Thanks image

If I come across a 10¢ I'll let you know image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE