Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I don't know who it was, but somebody just made my day. No... my MONTH!

Remember this thread?

Keep it in mind.

Well, OK.

So today I get the mail, and there is a mysterious Priority Mail box. No return address.

It's very light.

I open it and there is this big cocoon of bubble wrap. Victoria is watching as I open it (good thing it wasn't a bomb or some anthrax, huh).

"Watch there be a single coin inside all this bubble wrap," I kidded to her.

Inside was a little gold box.

On the box was a blue post-it note.

The message said:

<< <i>Hope you enjoy it as
much as you seem like you
will. Your stories + collections are a lot of fun to
follow along with. I hope you continue to have more adventures.

A friend on the Boards. >>

Whaaaaat!?! NO WAY.

So what was inside the box?

A layer of cotton.

THIS was underneath the cotton.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

It had been on my watchlist over on VCoins for over a year.

It's one of those things where you say to yourself, "Man, that is totally cool. I'd love to have that. But I'm too cheap to buy it for myself- I'd rather use my money on coins." Know what I mean?

It's even got my zodiac symbol on it.

Too small for me to wear, even on my pinkie finger, but you can bet I am gonna keep and cherish it, and maybe use the seal stone occasionally. (Then again, with it being 2000 years old, I might just leave that be.)

THANK YOU, O GENEROUS MYSTERY BENEFACTOR!!!

I'm gonna give away a nice ancient coin myself, now, to keep the good karma train chuggin' down the tracks. Stay tuned for that.

I'm blown away. The sentiment is as nice as the gift itself.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Congrats LordM, that's a lovely item. And well done to the generous forum member!
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!!!

Amazing. I remember reading about that.....congratulations.
    And what a beautiful gift someone sent you, these boards are greatimage

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice surprise! I remember reading your original thread a couple of weeks ago. I thought then that it was pretty cool. Apparently, so did someone else.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Awesome gift!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Wow, that's really generous of that person. Looks cool, too!
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only hope that people won't think that every time I post something here and say, "man, this is neat, I wouldn't mind owning it" that I'm asking somebody to buy it for me. image

First the trip to England* thing, now this.

*BTW, on the former, I still have the money in savings but still have not gotten my passport. It is still "on" but because I've dallied and dithered some more I've now missed the spring window of opportunity, it would seem, so we're probably looking at fall. That's all I'll say about that, because it is a taboo subject on the forums. And of course the offer is still open for anybody who donated to get their funds back, if they feel (perhaps rightfully) that I've sat on this for far too long.

There will be another giveaway soon, to keep the karma train a-goin'.

Speaking of which, O Dead King Aethelred, the coin I sent you should be in your PO box by now. Just a modest thank you for the cherrypicks I got from that last dreamy bulk bag you sold me. When I finish digesting the rest of the contents of that bag, I'll be back for more.

Maybe all of this is because I gave that homeless guy ten bucks yesterday morning. Who knows. What comes around goes around sometimes, but sometimes it seems I get it back with interest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    what a great gesture!!
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's pretty cool.image
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and generous token of appreciation!
    They're correct in their comments IMO! Your enthusiasm and writing are a huge presence on these boards... Much appreciated by this humble collector as well.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Lord M, that is some seriously cool stuff. Seriously. Impressive ring, I must say. I like the blue scorpion ring myself in the original "hey this is an awesome ring" thread. This is why I can not allow myself to go to too many flea markets, coin shows and or anything with a large collection of people selling cool stuff. I will spend everything I have on me on random awesomeness like this. The scorpion is my astrological sign and while it would be cool and make me look like a total bada**, I think the people at work would be finally convinced that I had lost my mind if I started wearing it and sealing random documents of no importance with a red wax and scorpion seal.

And now all I want to do is seal things with red wax and a scorpion seal. Dang.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lord M, that is some seriously cool stuff. Seriously. Impressive ring, I must say. I like the blue scorpion ring myself in the original "hey this is an awesome ring" thread. This is why I can not allow myself to go to too many flea markets, coin shows and or anything with a large collection of people selling cool stuff. I will spend everything I have on me on random awesomeness like this. The scorpion is my astrological sign and while it would be cool and make me look like a total bada**, I think the people at work would be finally convinced that I had lost my mind if I started wearing it and sealing random documents of no importance with a red wax and scorpion seal.

And now all I want to do is seal things with red wax and a scorpion seal. Dang. >>

Yeah, that one was totally awesome.

This one is of course zodiac-appropriate for me personally (and the emperor Augustus). Not that I put any stock in astrology. It's just kind of fun.

Like I said, it is one of those areas that could lead one astray. On my budget, with my zigzag attention span and myriad interests, though, I have to desperately force myself to FOCUS. I only partially succeed. Like I said in that thread, this was a really groovy item that I wanted but I couldn't justify the ding in my coin budget its purchase would have entailed. Our supremely generous and unknown mystery benefactor took that concern off the table and totally changed the equation.

Does this mean I'll start collecting ancient jewelry? No. But it means I've got at least one piece to keep, examine, and enjoy.

BTW, I have no clue who this person is. He or she (I assume he, since most forum members are male and the handwriting kind of indicated that) covered his tracks well. No return address on the box. Printed meter for postage, with the ZIP code of origin carefully scribbled out in the same color red ink as the post office used to print the meter. So it came from a forum member who reads the Darkside, and was mailed from the United States. That's all I know. May be all I ever know, but it sure left a warm feeling, if you know what I mean.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzers, that is a cool item and someone is a cool dude (in a gender neutral sense of course). Second time I've said this tonight about darkside stuff, but even my husband found that nice! Very cool!

Cathy

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful surprise.image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was very nice of someone. Surprising that the USPS took the package without a return address.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I share the common sentiments here of awesome / cool / very generous and great karma...

I would have it enlarged so you can wear it. I would not be surprised if many centuries ago, the original wearer had it sized and resized to fit their finger. It is very common in jewelry to resize and I doubt you'll be selling this for profit so ... why not resize? Just my two ¢
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. image