Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Re-slabbing a coin

How would I go about getting a coin returned to a slab. This coin was in a PCGS slab before being cracked out, I still have the origin label from the slab. This would be a one-off so what would I need to do to acheive this. By the way I'm in the UK. Thanks in advance. Gary

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to think you could just mail it back to them with the insert and a reholdering fee.

Now I'm pretty sure this is wrong. (I mean, think about it from the TPG's point of view- how would they know you hadn't swapped coins?) If the coin was totally removed from its holder, I am fairly certain there is no way to reholder it without resubmitting it for grading all over again, and you thereby risk it getting a different grade, up or down. That's always a risk with resubmissions anyway.

The "reholder" service they offer would be for situations where a slab is cracked but still contains the coin. Stuff like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    The coin will require a re-grade as if it had never been submitted. I would think your postal requirements (ease of shipping and returns) would be simpler submitting the coin via the PCGS Paris offices for grading.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the first time I had an opportunity to see a PCGS submission form...and, to say the least, I am surprised someone submits coins and pays these outrageous fees for an opinion!
    After all, IT is just someones opinion one is paying for.
    There is no lawful norm or basic standard by which grading takes place. I believe each TPG has their own grading values / standards. All their grading "should" be done adhering to their standards, ...right?
    so, my key question is this:
    Why are there different fees for different years and for different value coins? grades are grades.... Or does a $ 1000 coin get a different grade allocation base than a $ 100 coin?
    does a coin from one country attract a different grading standard or rules than a coin , lets say from the USA?
    Does it take more or less time perhaps?
    Grades are grades.......
    Is there perhaps something I am missing here, or do not understand?
    there are many unanswered questions..........
    I understand paying for extra services , like 24 hour turn around etc..
    but, just because the coin is a year older than the other, or a coin is valued a bit more than the other....
    makes no sense to me. But obviously it makes a lot of $$$ sense to PCGS, as most of you seem to be happy paying whatever they want............for an opinion.

The only aspect that I do understand about graded coins is this:
    a seller can advertise a grade for a coin and at the same time abolish himself of any responsibility by simply suggesting that it is a TPG who assessed that grade.

Sorry PCGS, even though you graciously provide this forum to us, I just had to express my disbelief.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    The problem is as I see it, I do not want to pay 68 euro for a club membership just to make a one off submission.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes, our hosts here have priced many of out of submitting coins to them. The fees for the higher value coins are to compensate for higher cost claims if they are later forced to buy a coin back by the way. But the system seems to be working for them, many many people are submitting things like bullion Britannias for grading now. It is just an opinion, but a valued one.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    YQQ , forget about the grade , for me, the most important thing to slab coins , is the garantee that the coin is genuine and not a fake.
    consider the grade as a bonus , given by 2 experienced coin graders , or sometimes 3.
    its also much easier to sell a slabbed coin and they tend to make better prices, then a raw coin.
    not very important for a $25 market value coin, but for $ 500 and over , a wise investment imho.
    just my 2cents.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem is as I see it, I do not want to pay 68 euro for a club membership just to make a one off submission. >>

Gazza, submit your coin via "authorized dealer" no membership required. PCGS has a listhere, on their website. image

YQQ, besides resale value, there is also preservation. I am not the Smithsonian Institution, so to preserve my finest coins I have them slabbed. I am prone to dropping, and I also love viewing / turning them in my hands often. So slabs ensure I will not damage or devalue the coin over time. I have about ten boxes of raw coins that I will NEVER slab because their values do not justify the expense. However, for a rare coin, it is well worth the investment. Trust me. You sleep much safer at night knowing your rare proof specimen is safe in a slab instead of some 2x2 flip where it can be scratched / dropped / fingerprinted.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem is as I see it, I do not want to pay 68 euro for a club membership just to make a one off submission. >>

Try Steve Fenton, he's the oldest PCGS authorized dealer in Europe long before PCGS Paris existed. But you will be better off if you can add a few coins to it. Unless you have an authorized dealer in the UK who charges by the coin, regardless of their number, all inclusive, like here in Athens.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3