Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

USB Microscope 20 bucks

I just found a deal on a USB Microscope and thought I would share...

Product Features
Microscope Lens (25x - 400x), 8 LED Light Source, Snap Function, 5x Digital Zoom
Color CMOS Image Censor, High Speed CPU, 1280x960 Resolution, 2M Pixels Lens
USB Compatible for Instant Video Viewing on Computer or Laptop Screen
Auto White Balance Control, Sharpness Control, Color Mangement, Brightness Adjustable
High Quality Image Enlarges Microscopic Articles on Skin, Cloth, Leather, Coins, Bills and Hair, Etc.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. But does anybody know how this will do for imaging coins?

I've got a $50 giftcard from Amazon left over from December. Hmmm...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- I see one of the five-star reviews was from a coin collector. Overall reviews seem to be a mixed bag.

Heck, I reckon it's worth a gamble. Worst I risk is twenty of the fifty bucks my Mom sent me for my birthday just after Christmas. I'll use the rest to get a couple of books. I'm gonna give it a whirl.

PS-I figure it will give me a chance to play with one of these, and even if this particular model is a bit too flimsy or something like that, if it has enough useful applications, I might upgrade to a better one later. So this will be my "training wheels" microscope. Thanks for the heads-up.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I just returned mine. wasn't able to use it because the software is poopie.
  • Options
    I bought one a year ago. Software did not work with any OS newer than XP. Had no problems with it on an XP machine.
    References: Multiple deals with cohodk. Also PQPeace, LordMarcoVan,
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived ....

The good news is, I was able to install the software on Windows XP and it works great.

The bad news, I was not able to get it to work on my windows 7 machine with the software that came with the microscope, however I did get it to work with a different software. You can download the program here

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    You have to be MASSIVELY EXTRAORDINARILY EXTRAORDINARILY CAREFUL when downloading SOFTWARE PACKAGES from UNKNOWN VENDORS

google around for apps of general type and finding executables and zip files?? you're really opening yourself up to getting hacked or infected.
    Not saying anything about the app you found but I certainly I would never, on pain of death, run an .exe for .zip from a source I didn't know extremely well.

good luck!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Can this be used to take a pic of a whole coin as well?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    you could also try emulating windows xp on your windows 7 or 8 and install the software inside the emulation