Home Testing Forum

1847 dollar

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is the fourth purchase for my new VF-XF 19th century basic type set. This one had the look I'm after, so I pulled the trigger after some negotiation with the seller. These negotiations were hampered by some miscommunications at first, but that was neither entirely the seller's fault nor my own. After some confusion, we finally ended up discussing the coin over the telephone, and he seemed to be a pretty pleasant person, if not the best listener in the world. So I committed to buy it.

I had to stretch a little bit past my usual $500 budgetary ceiling for this one, but not by too much. Tell me what you think. By Numismedia trends, I paid about midway between VF and XF money, so as long as the forum grading consensus falls within those parameters, I guess I did OK. I figured I'd have a go at the somewhat more expensive types during this transitional period, while I still have funds coming in from my recently retired love token collection.

Full disclosure: the image below has been digitally manipulated... by me. Because I lack proper camera equipment and skills, I usually recycle the sellers' pictures for my collections. I'm better at editing pictures than I am at taking them. Those skills came in handy here, because the seller's pictures were taken through a Mylar 2x2 and there was a longish white hair lying across the back of the holder. You can tell it was a hair and not a scratch, because it cast a shadow. So, using the eyedropper and other tools on my rather dated photo editing software, I "painted" the hair out. I mention this in case a sharp eyed person saw any discrepancies. Maybe I'll get a more professional photographer to reimage it later. (In the nude, shed of its cardboard 2x2). But I think I did an OK job of "de-hairifying" the picture, and so my consolidated image below should be quite sufficient for grading purposes. So... grade it! And please tell me what you think. Thanks!

PCGS/Photograde standards

Index of similar grading poll threads like this

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments