Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1921 & '22 American Caramel Babe Ruth

I jumped the gun at a live auction and now am having doubts about my purchase. Can anyone help me with the authenticity of either of these?

Thanks

http://www.imagebam.com/image/8797cb236560845

http://www.imagebam.com/image/18795e236560861

http://www.imagebam.com/image/993999236560874

http://www.imagebam.com/image/5bcae0236560899

EDIT: PICS BELOW
Vintage Ohio St. football items, always buying, PM me with any you might want to sell.
Also looking for 2005T FB AA, 1986T FB, 1960T FB autographed cards

Comments

• Options
    Sorry about the cluster, I was having trouble adding attachments
    Vintage Ohio St. football items, always buying, PM me with any you might want to sell.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Let's see if these are better.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks Dboneesq
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    ********EDITED because the pics are in goofy order .... the 1st and 4th pic go together and the middle 2 go together*******

Both of those cards are tough...

As you can tell from the back ad, only 1 is an American Caramel card, its from the much scarcer 1922 E122 set (the 'pitching' one)...
    (much scarcer than any of the 9 different Ruth's found in the other 1921-22 Era A C Co. sets.... ie E120, E121-80, E121-120 sets made by American Caramel)

the other card (chopped/ 'batting') is a E220 National Caramel card, thought to have been issued for 3 years 1921-23. E220s are also much scarcer than the more common A C Co. sets listed above

I dont see anything *wrong (no red flags) beside the fact that one is heavily chopped and worth a fraction of what it would be otherwise
    the full size looking card looks narrow because the photo was taken at an angle, but it also might be trimmed years ago ??? (but corners dont show modern trimming)

the good thing is both of these sets are not reprinted that I know of..... they are tough cards, if you got a deal, those are nice, especially the E122

*there are homemade fakes though and Im just looking at images...
    the chopped one, E220 (middle 2 pics) Im 99% sure is authentic
    the E122 Im only 75% sure (mainly cause of strange back staining line near bottom of back image ..... the stain line below the "LANCASTER AND YORK...")
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut reaction is not authentic but that's just based on my knowledge of printing processes of the era. I'm not familiar with these sets. You're much more likely to get an informed opinion on Net54. Good luck.
  • Options
    I couldn't find a similar example with the border around Ruth's name. Thank you for the information.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Just to let you know, the chopped E220 card ('batting') also would have a pinstripe box around the caption similar to the E122 if it wasnt chopped so close, but the lines were cut off on the 2 sides and bottom line looks to be so close to the cut its not easily seen and looks like a shadow in image....
    All the others sets I mentioned above dont have a box around the caption, the caption is within the bottom border...
  • Options
    Thank you fkw, much appreciated
  • Options
    I have another question, would you get the heavily chopped E220 in just an authenticated slab?
  • Options
    If it were me, I would get any Ruth in an authentic slab.
  • Options

<< <i>If it were me, I would get any Ruth in an authentic slab. >>

No doubt. A Ruth is a card that people will pony up for almost regardless of condition. Authentic slab is the way to go.
  • Options
    Im new to this, my understanding is you can either send it in to have it graded (1-10) or simply send it in to get authenticated w/o any grade. Is the trimmed card good enough to get a grade?
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im new to this, my understanding is you can either send it in to have it graded (1-10) or simply send it in to get authenticated w/o any grade. Is the trimmed card good enough to get a grade? >>

Nope - if it's trimmed you won't receive a numeric grade, and you'll want to request authentication, or they won't slab it at all. There's a box to check stating you're okay with receiving an "Auth" grade on the submission form. Good luck.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Gotcha, thank you
  • Options
    Hey Brandon

Just curious, what ever happened to the 1st babe Ruth baseball card in the picture
    Please let me know
    Thanks
  • Options
    I sent in the trimmed card to be slabbed as AUTH, had the form filled out correctly and came back with a trimmed sticker (photo copied sub and double checked it was filled out right). Was pissed @ the result and haven't sent in the other.
  • Options
    And what ever happened to the other card, did you keep it or did you end up selling it? Do you know if its authentic?