Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

COTY (Coin Of The Year)

The announcement of the awards COTY (Coin Of The Year) is done during the World Money Fair in Berlin (Germany).

There are 10 categories with 10 competitors each.

After the 10 coins winners chosen per category is voted the "best coin in the world."

The COTY 2012 was elected the silver coin 2 "New Sheqalim" minted by Bank of Israel, entitled "Jonah in the whale,".

A list of the 2012 winners by category

Comments

• Options
    Oi Vey!!!!!

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oy vey is right lol - not sure that would be my pick but what do I know...
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    The compass coin is just plain gimmicky.....

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I thought the Andorra brown bear coin was well executed, and the San Marino 2 Euro was very attractive and well engraved. None of the others did anything for me.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Agree on the San Marino - very attractive for a circulating piece.

Edit: Oh, and not a fan of the Olympic gold from the UK, although the silver isn't too bad
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the Andorra brown bear coin was well executed, and the San Marino 2 Euro was very attractive and well engraved. None of the others did anything for me. >>

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I kinda like the design of the Israeli 2 New Sheqalim and think it is an interesting intrepretation of the Jonah story, but have never paid much attention to the COTY since they always seem to be NCLT shiny disks aimed at shaking down collectors. I wonder if an issue one one might actually encounter in circulation has ever received this recognition, and what it was (they were), of course.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe its just me but I really dont like any of them. I dont see much appeal in these but what do I know.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... never paid much attention to the COTY since they always seem to be NCLT shiny disks aimed at shaking down collectors... >>

image Not much different than the mints, with their annual NCLT and PM releases for $$$$

IMO this kind of stuff makes it hard for us to convince litesiders that "world coins" is a serious business.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I don't care for any of 'em. must've been a down year for coin design.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Meh... none of them do much for me either. I like the gold Olympic one but its more like a medal then a coin.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jonah should have been in the whales's mouth
    with his legs sticking out
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.