Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best Way to crack open a holder

After reading about the bumps in grade some members have received, I'm thinking of resubmitting a couple of my cards.
What is the best way to open a holder without damaging the card?

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracking a slab

Use the same method with a PSA slab but they generally do not crack apart as easy. Just go slow around the edges until it breaks loose.

It is very easy once you get the hang of it.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I table saw the top on the flip and then just crack it open with my hands nice and easy. You can also save the slabs for shipping raw cards in the mail.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I start with a very thin screwdriver, like the tiny ones they sell for eyeglass repairs, and wedge it in where I can. You can break the seal really easily this way and then move on to a larger screwdriver to finish the job.

PSA holders are pretty easy compared to some of the other ones.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Today was "Learn How to Crack" day in the mcadams household. I thought the SGC's were by far the easiest to get open, and were the most similar to the PSA slabs. I used the flathead screwdriver and hammer technique on both SGC and PSA and didn't have any issues.

With BGS, I found that Dpeck's method of using the wire clippers was key. At first I tried to use the screwdriver and hammer, but the way the BGS slabs overlap (there is no center seam on the slabs), this was not a good method. But once you clip any corner off the BGS slab with the wire clippers, you're golden. I found the most frustrating part of the BGS crackout to be actually cutting the penny sleeve off. The BGS slabs come with the card double sealed in a penny sleeve and there is very little room to trip the top off without nipping the card. I actually went to the drug store to buy a smaller, more precise set of scissors. All in all, the cracking went well.

Thx for the BGS video- Dpeck.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

This is by no means the only method, just my method and its one I'm comfortable with. Proceed at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you choose to try this and screw up your card. image

Camera phone pics so not that good quality

Buying US Presidential autographs